Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Miami 20 14.93%
New York 36 26.87%
Seattle 27 20.15%
Toronto 51 38.06%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I’m in Miami right now, and while still busy, crowded, and traffic filled there seems to be a noticeable decline in the number of cranes dotting the skyline, as opposed to when I was last here in 2016. Not sure if I’m looking in the right places.
It definitely slowed down compared to when I lived there and visited last year, but they'll be a crop of new towers starting soon and FINALLY some new office towers, which is about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZTHUmcW-A

I would if I could, replace Miami with San Francisco on the list.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM

293 posts, read 245,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Of course it matters. When America doesn't admit them, they go to Canada as sloppy seconds. If you gave those 350,000 immigrants the option of Canada or the U.S., maybe 10% would choose cold, sterile, unaffordable Canada. But as beggars can't be choosers, they take what they can get.
Then how do you justify the thousands of American citizens that apply for Canadian Permanent Residence every year?

Just for the record, the US is listed #5 as source country for new permanent residents in Canada.

You have probably even tried to apply yourself and got rejected, which probably explains your disdain for anything Canadian.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Then how do you justify the thousands of American citizens that apply for Canadian Permanent Residence every year?

Just for the record, the US is listed #5 as source country for new permanent residents in Canada.

You have probably even tried to apply yourself and got rejected, which probably explains your disdain for anything Canadian.
Ignore him/her to be honest. All they do is spread misinformation about Canada and slander Canadians and immigrants who choose Canada. This is what happens when people are ignorant and don't know anything about the outside world, sad really.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
It's amazing this thread isn't closed yet, it really have taken a turn into something else.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
There are more than enough potential immigrants from the developed world to go around. Supply greatly exceeds demand.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:

For the record, I would never move to Canada, nor would I want to. I love to visit Vancouver, though.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:

That's a silly argument. Every year about 30,000 Canadians move to the U.S. The number of Americans moving to Canada is 10,000.

Think about that: in a country of 331,000,000, only 10,000 think Canada is worth it. That's 0.003% of the population.

Canadians move to the U.S. at nearly 30x the rate!

So if "thousands" of Americans getting permanent residency is proof that Canada is superior, why do 3x as much go the other way in a country far, far smaller? Hmmm...

Old 01-21-2020, 09:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZTHUmcW-A

I would if I could, replace Miami with San Francisco on the list.
San Francisco is still plagued by NIMBYism. If Bill 50 goes through though, expect a massive housing boom to take place. It will happen at some point anyway. California only gained 50,000 people last year. Expect that to worsen until the State solves the supply question by killing off the zoning restrictions put in place to limit supply and increase prices.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
People in the first world tend to migrate for jobs, affordability, and/or weather above all.

In a lot of higher-level professions, people can make more money in the US.

Weather? That's one-way for obvious reasons. If you like Canadian weather, there are US versions too.

Affordability? The problem is generally worse in Canada.

As for the ability to live in a great city, the US offers choices that are similar enough to make a move unnecessary.

None of that differs from the basic point that Canada does a better job making cities hospitable, and does other things much better like healthcare (hence the 3+ extra years of life expectancy per census.gov).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City