Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Boston 17 16.50%
Montreal 15 14.56%
San Francisco 19 18.45%
Washington D.C. 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 02:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
So instead of acknowledging Montreal's impressive boom, you bombard us with almost a dozen videos... nice, maybe take it easy with the videos? lol.
I never said Montreal isn't booming. There are levels to this. Just because Montreal isn't on DC's level doesn't mean it isn't booming. Until your region comes up with some type of database to actually compare hard numbers, this is a waste of time.

Everyone is just blowing opinions into the wind right now outside of the report I posted for DC. I could also post the DC Metropolitan Council of Governments report if you want to know about regional development in the DC region. Yes, I know DC is unique in being so organized will unprecedented access to data, but it's needed to make any type of comparison between cities. These comparisons aren't subjective. The data exists to find the right answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
So instead of acknowledging Montreal's impressive boom, you bombard us with almost a dozen videos... nice, maybe take it easy with the videos? lol.

Edit as I watch the videos: Okay so the two lines, one is a small expansion and the other is planned. If we also include planned, Montreal has the pink-line as well (29km length, 29 stations). Bike sharing, Montreal was the first city in North America to do it so, welcome aboard! The park is cute, but Montreal added a 450 acre park and half a dozen U/C downtown right now. the SW eco district looks a lot like the University De Montreal student dorms/neighbourhood expansion. So again, looks like Montreal does indeed compete with DC after all!
Planned? The purple line is under construction and the silver line phase II is about to deliver. Pay attention to the date on the youtube videos. When phase II of the silver line opens next year, the DC metro system will be over 120 miles long all heavy rail rapid transit. The purple line is a 16 mile light rail line that will connect 4 of DC's 6 different subway heavy rail lines.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I never said Montreal isn't booming. There are levels to this. Just because Montreal isn't on DC's level doesn't mean it isn't booming. Until your region comes up with some type of database to actually compare hard numbers, this is a waste of time.

Everyone is just blowing opinions into the wind right now outside of the report I posted for DC. I could also post the DC Metropolitan Council of Governments report if you want to know about regional development in the DC region. Yes, I know DC is unique in being so organized will unprecedented access to data, but it's needed to make any type of comparison between cities. These comparisons aren't subjective. The data exists to find the right answer.
Someone didn't read when I said the Greater Montreal area has 210 projects U/C worth $43B lol. I know you're only focusing on sq. ft, but there is the other data you should consider . It is clear given all my arguments, explaining projects and showing you data (along with the link) collected by governing bodies, pretty safe to say Montreal does compete with DC (which according to you, no cities here do).

Old 11-21-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Someone didn't read when I said the Greater Montreal area has 210 projects U/C worth $43B lol. I know you're only focusing on sq. ft, but there is the other data you should consider
Well, looks like DC is way ahead then. DC proper alone can compete with that. 210 projects? Did you read this below? DC has $36.6B in the pipeline in 61 sq. miles.

2019-2020 DC Proper Development Report

Old 11-21-2020, 02:16 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
On a metro level, new construction tends to track population growth, despite some of it being replacement rather than net-additional. Within city limits that's harder, because a lot of construction is commercial or institutional and draws workers/customers/students/patients from outside the lines. So you'd get closer to the truth if you have job stats. But pop growth is a great starting point.

Reports by dollars or square footage of construction are great, but the world is full of apples-to-oranges and half-assed reports. These also just don't exist in many places. And they're never up-to-date, even if they're reasonably accurate.

I've been attempting to analyze and predict my own construction market for decades, from a general contractor perspective. But my reports are pretty consistent on one thing: data only takes you so far, it's generally limited or flawed, and a lot of key questions don't have data. Much of my job is about guessing. (This may be heresy in the academic world, but welcome to how things work outside those walls.)

Old 11-21-2020, 02:18 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Well, looks like DC is way ahead then. DC proper alone can compete with that. 210 projects? Did you read this below? DC has $36.6B in the pipeline in 61 sq. miles.

Thats a pretty impressive Document.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:19 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:

Key difference here, you're mentioning pipeline (I.E planned) which given this current situation, might not happen. The data about Montreal is U/C, as in it is going to happen and is under construction... wow! not rocket science here.

[City proper]
So MTL: 143 projects, $32B
DC proper: 214 projects, $14B value

So in terms of construction, DC has 71 more projects, but Montreal has $18B more value... which actually is more impressive here. So again, looks like it does compete with DC lol which is what others are saying as well. No **** DC is booming, but to say that no cities here can compete (MTL can), that data right there once again proves it lol.

Also I should mention that the MTL document leaves out all projects below $20M in value, which right there includes hundreds of smaller projects (social housing, small parks, smaller condo projects, etc..)

Old 11-21-2020, 02:24 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Oh yeah, "pipeline"....

Pipeline is interesting but says little about a city's upcoming construction volume. First, plans often don't happen. Second, apples to oranges. Especially because much of it relates to differences in local entitlement processes.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:

Counting "pipeline" proposals is like counting pre-med students as doctors because they're in the "pipeline". It carries about as much weight. Many pipeline projects never happen, but then many more come that aren't even listed. For DC, it probably evens out, but still...who knows?

Old 11-21-2020, 02:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:

To be fair, asking which is "most impressive" is a subjective question and can't be unequivocally determined with statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City