Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better locally created food?
Kansas City 66 59.46%
San Francisco 45 40.54%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Of course I'm biased but since this says locally, I'm giving it to KC BBQ. SF seems very transient and extremely expensive.
You can eat very well at any budget level in SF.

As far as being transient, Cioppino and Chop Suey both have their origins in the 1800s, and the Mission burrito dates back to the 1960s.

I suppose that's just a reflection of how prominent foreign cultures are in SF that Italian, Chinese and Mexican inspired foods such as these are a staple of SFs culinary lore.

There are many other foods that are identified with SF like dungeoness crab and sour dough bread etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Is there any other unique local cuisine/food dish in KC besides Bbq?

Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is there any other unique local cuisine/food dish in KC besides Bbq?
Steak for one.
Otherwise, it’s a great food town in general for all sorts of cuisine, just not on the scale of larger metros.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
What does SF even have
Crab and Chinese food. I'd still take KC. I'm pretty surprised SF is winning.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:44 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The California burrito and carne asada fries are San Diego creations.

I know this will draw ire from the bbq world, but bbq is bbq to me. Some are just more saucy, smokey, and fatty than others. While I do love some fatty meats drenched in bbq sauce from time to time, I’d rather have a nice bowl of cioppino with some sourdough bread for dipping.
If you think Pork in a mustard sauce is the same as beef in a tomato sauce and Chicken and a vinegar sauce is the same then I’m comfused

Also people Soutdough literally has origins in the beginning of the agricultural revolution.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:26 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Mission Burrito blows KC BBQ out of the water.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Does alcohol, such as Anchor Steam beer, count?

Old 01-25-2020, 09:05 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
San Francisco will win this poll but hopefully the Chiefs win the game.
My vote just put Kansas City ahead in the contest.

Of course, I'm a Q fiend - and I generally smoke my own because even though there are now several decent Q joints in Philly, the city and region as a whole remains a barbecue desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you think Pork in a mustard sauce is the same as beef in a tomato sauce and Chicken and a vinegar sauce is the same then I’m comfused
Or, for that matter, pork in vinegar sauce, pork in a tomato sauce, beef and sausages with no sauce at all or chicken in a mayonnaise sauce. All of these can be found in one barbecue hotbed or another (pork in vinegar sauce: eastern North Carolina - it's in South Carolina that they use a mustard sauce; pork in tomato sauce - Kansas City, which also contributes burnt ends to the list of barbecue delicacies; unsauced beef and sausages - the Texas barbecue belt; chicken in mayonnaise sauce - northeast Alabama).

And one Sunday from now, I will be screaming my head off with several hundred Chiefs fans at Big Charlie's Saloon. The last time the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl, I still lived in Kansas City. Fifty years is indeed long enough to wait.

The Chiefs are 1.5-point favorites over the Niners in the Supe. The over-under is 54.5. According to CBS Sports, the Chiefs are 8-0 against the spread in their last eight games, while the 49ers have covered it only once in their last five meetups vs. the Chiefs.

I like those odds. Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Does alcohol, such as Anchor Steam beer, count?
I'll see your Anchor Steam and raise you Boulevard - "Kansas City's Hometown Beer since 1989." They produce a wide variety of craft beers in just about every style imaginable, all of them good, some of them now legendary (esp. Tank 7). I see they have a bet going with 21st Amendment in San Fran.

As for other local foods created in Kansas City, the one thing that comes to my mind is the Mario's grinder - a sandwich made by cutting the end off an Italian roll, hollowing out the roll, filling it with meatballs, sauce and cheese, then plugging it with the cut-off end. I've never seen it anywhere else. I see that Mario's closed in 2017, but the sandwich lives on in the shop longtime employee Sheila Shields opened at Mario's 204 Westport Road location, Sheila's Grinder Shop. And according to this 2018 article on the opening, Mario's daughter is also serving up grinders at her Prairie Village (Kan.) cafe and food market.

Do Russell Stover chocolates count? The company was founded in Denver but moved to Kansas City in the 1950s when the family who made its boxes bought it. Like Boulevard, it's now owned by a European firm (Swiss chocolatier Lindt in Russell Stover's case, Belgian craft brewery conglomerate Duvel in Boulevard's), but both companies are still based in and run out of Kansas City. (A member of the family that owned it was a classmate of mine in high school.)

And while I'm not sure I want to claim it, the casual-dining chain Houlihan's was founded in Kansas City and is headquartered in the Johnson County (Kan). suburb of Lenexa. The original opened in 1972 in the former location of the Tom Houlihan menswear shop on the Country Club Plaza; local restaurateurs Joe Gilbert and Paul Robinson, who created it, dubbed it "Houlihan's Old Place." The company also owns the more upscale Devon Seafood Grill chain.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:13 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Also people Soutdough literally has origins in the beginning of the agricultural revolution.
Ok? It’s not like bbq was invented in KC...

Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok? It’s not like bbq was invented in KC...
Sourdough is pretty much universal in Western civilization dating back to Babalonia. BBQ while not exclusively a KC thing has most of its roots from the cattle drive region between KC and the Cattle Ranches of Oklahoma and Texas.

Kansas City BBQ developed from a local culture. Sourdough is in SF because it’s a city in the western world.

Saying Sourdough belongs to SF is like saying Butter is a Louisville food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City