Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better locally created food?
Kansas City 66 59.46%
San Francisco 45 40.54%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok? It’s not like bbq was invented in KC...
This is a very valid point. KC Style BBQ can be directly traced to Memphis.

Cioppino is a SF invention. Personally, I think it’s a waste of Dungeness crab given the price of it but it’s a really good fish soup. I prefer Dungeness crab in more delicate recipes where you can taste it. Garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, tomato, and herbs overpowers the crab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 12:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sourdough is pretty much universal in Western civilization dating back to Babalonia. BBQ while not exclusively a KC thing has most of its roots from the cattle drive region between KC and the Cattle Ranches of Oklahoma and Texas.

Kansas City BBQ developed from a local culture. Sourdough is in SF because it’s a city in the western world.

Saying Sourdough belongs to SF is like saying Butter is a Louisville food.
It’s has a different taste just as any other cuisine that wasn’t necessarily invented in a certain locale but that is known for it, just like KC bbq. What difference does it make?

Old 01-25-2020, 12:58 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Kansas City BBQ for me.
I agree .... I know SF has more high-end food. But we are on the Superbowl ......

Old 01-25-2020, 02:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Saying Sourdough belongs to SF is like saying Butter is a Louisville food.
Sourdough is associated with SF going back to the gold rush, outsiders associate sourdough bread bowls with SF, not a big deal and Im not sure why youre being so anal about it, this is food, not census data. Lol

Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sourdough is associated with SF going back to the gold rush, outsiders associate sourdough bread bowls with SF, not a big deal and Im not sure why youre being so anal about it, this is food, not census data. Lol
Honestly, is there anything you will not boost SF to win on.

I mean Sour Dough bread ..... maybe buttered with some KC Ribs.... I can't imagine it did not start in Europe or the Middle-East this bread anyway ....

I never heard of SF-style Sour Dough bread in stores .....

Last edited by DavePa; 01-25-2020 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly, is there anything you will not boost SF to win on.
If I wanted to do that, I would have said that the predominant bacteria in sourdough is called Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis.

But this isnt that serious

Quote:
I mean Sour Dough bread ..... maybe buttered with some KC Ribs.... I can't imagine it did not start in Europe this bread anyway ....
Yet the whole world associates it with SF. You guys need to take a chill pill and get over it.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to do that, I would have said that the predominant bacteria in sourdough is called Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis.

But this isnt that serious

Yet the whole world associates it with SF. You guys need to take a chill pill and get over it.
Hey if it boast for SF? Go for it..... and not by CSA in general. Yet you could think of something for the Superbowl for the stadium other then a bread .... which is not my favorite. Maybe sour dough hot dog buns.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Hey if it boast for SF? Go for it..... and not by CSA in general.
Yawns k thx

Old 01-25-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yawns k thx
Sure.... YW Any time?

Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I am not sure how far the association of sourdough with SF really extends. Growing up in LA, the association was pretty real to the point where I thought sourdough was invented in SF, but then I later found in traveling and moving away from the West Coast that the association didn’t hold elsewhere, and of course, SF did not invent sourdough. That being said, the association definitely extends past just the Bay Area at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City