Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
ill there is a very good correlation with strict gun laws and low crime rate
Tell that to Illinois and Maryland.

Also NH, Vermont and Idaho have the loosest gun laws in the nation yet their crime rates are low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Tell that to Illinois and Maryland.

Also NH, Vermont and Idaho have the loosest gun laws in the nation yet their crime rates are low.
In NH and Vermont, they’re called “hunting accidents”. Dunno about Idaho.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Looks like Washington had more murders in the early-mid 90s but it was definitely closer at that time (interestingly, Seattle had a lot more murders at that time while the rest of the state had less). It does look like both states have fluctuated quite a bit and the difference is not as pronounced as I thought, but clearly Washington has had the higher murder rate most years.

In terms of gun control, there are obviously so many different factors at play when looking at crime rates. I don’t see how making it easier to get guns will reduce crime, but that’s just my opinion. In any case, both WA and MA have strong gun control laws.
I'm certain Massachusetts had waaaay more murders than Washington in the early-mid 90s.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:40 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I'm certain Massachusetts had waaaay more murders than Washington in the early-mid 90s.
That's incorrect - from 1992 to 1999 WA had more every year

Washington Crime Rates 1960 - 2018

Massachusetts Crime Rates 1960 - 2018

Old 01-29-2020, 12:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,612 times
Why does Boston have so many more murders per 100,000 than Seattle? (8.1 versus 4.3 in 1918, the last year for which FBI figures are available).

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...sachusetts.xls

Last edited by deb100; 01-29-2020 at 12:17 AM..

Old 01-29-2020, 05:57 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Why does Boston have so many more murders per 100,000 than Seattle? (8.1 versus 4.3 in 1918, the last year for which FBI figures are available).

Much higher Child/family poverty, more intense segregation, more crowded hoods and a much much more intense gang culture.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...gton/PST045219
Washington is 68% white and seattle is 64.5% white.

Massachusetts is 71% white and Boston is 44% white. Poverty in Boston is 20.5% Seattle Poverty is 11.8%. 63% of Seattle adults have a college degree. 45% of Boston adults has a college degree. Seattle median household incomes is $20k higher than Boston's.

Seattle is much more inline with Washington State demographics than Boston is with Massachusetts..

There are years when Dorchester-the neighborhood, has more homicides than Seattle-the entire city. More connections to criminals and criminal networks nearby in CT RI and NYC. Boston has some very serious gangsters. A few but their pretty serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylp_rhuQOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRNU_kH7hQ

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-29-2020 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-29-2020, 11:02 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Much higher Child/family poverty, more intense segregation, more crowded hoods and a much much more intense gang culture.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...gton/PST045219
Washington is 68% white and seattle is 64.5% white.

Massachusetts is 71% white and Boston is 44% white. Poverty in Boston is 20.5% Seattle Poverty is 11.8%. 63% of Seattle adults have a college degree. 45% of Boston adults has a college degree. Seattle median household incomes is $20k higher than Boston's.

Seattle is much more inline with Washington State demographics than Boston is with Massachusetts..

There are years when Dorchester-the neighborhood, has more homicides than Seattle-the entire city. More connections to criminals and criminal networks nearby in CT RI and NYC. Boston has some very serious gangsters. A few but their pretty serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylp_rhuQOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRNU_kH7hQ
Yes, and the parts of the Seattle metro that have stats more like that (higher poverty rate, higher % people of color, higher gang activity, higher murder/crime rate) are NOT in the city proper. They're in the adjacent south suburbs and nearby satellite cities like Tukwila, Tacoma, Federal Way, Renton, etc.

Seattle had only about a third of the total murders in King County last year and only a fraction of the total number of murders in the 4-county metro area. Boston had the vast majority of murders in its metro area.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:26 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post

In 2019, Boston had a murder rate of 5.4. Seattle's was around 4 last time I checked. However, Boston's borders are rather strange.. there was 2 murders in the neighboring cities, which throws Boston to 40 murders in a population of 1.3 Million. A 3.1 Murder rate.

The MAPC cities and towns, Murder rate of 2.2.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In 2019, Boston had a murder rate of 5.4. Seattle's was around 4 last time I checked. However, Boston's borders are rather strange.. there was 2 murders in the neighboring cities, which throws Boston to 40 murders in a population of 1.3 Million. A 3.1 Murder rate.

The MAPC cities and towns, Murder rate of 2.2.
Yea but let’s be honest Bostons murder rate is usually about 2-2.5x Seattle’s and it’s pretty obvious why that is. We can’t use 2019 as a stand alone-that’s not really accurate. It’s also a matter of which towns are you shouting to count. Can we please the habit of adding towns to make Boston seem other than what it is. The question was why is Boston rate higher than Seattle which is a fair question we already discussed MA as a whole. Also Boston borders are far from the strangest out there.

There might not be a year out there where Seattle had more homicides than Boston. If anything we can just ask why does one relatively small part of Boston have so many more homicides than Seattle?

Man asked a question-There’s a plain and simple answer we don’t need to reconfigure the city

Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
True- I also think getting rid of Annie Dookhan and her botched tests was a big help in lowering crime. Murder nearly doubled from 1999-2010.

per the Lech Mazur graphic to the left side of our screens overall violent crime in MA is still higher than WA and 50% higher than similar states like NJ, CT and RI. We’re essentially tied with NY for most violent state in the northeast- as per usual. I wonder why that tends to be the case? I wonder if it is because of our lax sentencing...

When you look at stories like the ones I posted there (and I can think of another guy in Brockton) it kind of seems like we’re not doing all we could be doing if I’m being honest.
I've noticed that Mass always has a higher than average violent crime rate, while having a much lower than average murder rate.

I feel that our very strict gun laws probably contribute to that. Violent, angry young men might be more likely to punch each other out than shoot each other.

Neither is good, but I'd rather have more street brawls than shoot outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City