Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,555 times

Advertisements

When i think of two American cities that are polar opposites, I can't think of two cities more different than Seattle and Miami. Really the only two things these cities have in common are they are two of the most lush cities in terms of vegetation and they have high rises (but so do a bunch of other cities in the US).

They literally sit at opposite corners from each other in the country. I mean Seattle is very white and Asian, while Miami is very Latin. Seattle is more cloudy than not, and Miami is super sunny. Miami is very flat, Seattle is the opposite. Miami is always warm to hot, Seattle is cool to cold. If you visit Seattle one day and Miami the next, you pretty much feel like you are in two different countries.

So let's do a comparison. And to open it up a little more let's make it the whole metro areas. So Miami we can include Miami Beach just as we can include Bellevue for Seattle.

Weather:
People:
Culture:
Cuisine:
Entertainment:
Architecture:
Natural Beauty:
Vibrancy:
Where would you rather live:

I want to go more off opinions rather than categories that are proven facts. So things like crime are fact on which has more crime, or things like COL as there is not much of an argument on which one is more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 AM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Weather: Seattle
People: tied
Culture: Miami
Cuisine: Seattle
Entertainment: Miami
Architecture: Seattle
Natural Beauty: Seattle
Vibrancy: tied
Where would you rather live: Seattle is more my style but Iike Miami as well.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
I will start as a Miami resident who lived on the West Coast and frequented Seattle on business.

Weather: Miami. My body is acclimated to a warm weather climate. I got depressed during SF winters and can only imagine how much more gloomy and cloudy skies would effect me further north. I would probably be on suicide watch come February. I can go in the ocean year round without a wetsuit here. Summer months are tolerable here if you live on the coast, as I do.

People: since this includes women, not even close in terms of attractiveness—Miami. More clean cut and groomed professionals where I live vs the “grunge” look. Seattle is more American whereas I am a minority in my own country in Miami—though the foreign born people I interact with are professional. No question they are more polite in Seattle—especially on the roads, as newly arriving Latinos bring their crappy and aggressive driving style with them.

Culture: Miami is an international melting pot (and not just Latino), which I enjoy (not a fan of homogeneity, in general—not necessarily saying Seattle is homogeneous). Miami hosts the annual Art Basel event (only US city do so), the largest food and wine event in the nation (So Beach Wine & Food Festival); Art Deco Weekend, Ultra Music Festival, and Coconut Grove Arts Festival..all of these attract people from outside the area, some from outside the country. Cannot speak for Seattle institutions and annual events.

Entertainment: Miami is known worldwide for its nightlife and other events. Various museums and music/theatrical venues. Again, less familiar with Seattle. Miami does have all 4 of the big pro sports leagues represented here.

Cuisine: Both are good in different areas. Seattle has better seafood and Asian cuisine (though Miami has gotten better with the latter in recent years though on the high end)...Miami does better Latin cuisine, with the possible exception of Mexican, and has very good Italian cuisine. Grand Central (and PDX’s Ken’s Artisan) are my favorite West Coast bakeries; Miami has Zak the Baker and NYC import Sullivan. Both cities have great steakhouses—Seattle is the best on the West Coast whereas Miami has many great imports from top NYC steakhouses and elsewhere. Miami is very good on the high end, with Thomas Keller, Jose Andres, Michael Mina, Daniel Boulud and Michelin Star (US and Europe) outposts —and, please, these are good stand alone outposts, not to be confused with airport franchised Wolfgang Puck Cafe Express..lol.

Architecture: Seattle has its majestic mountain setting in the background to compliment its skyline whereas Miami has Art Deco plus the 3rd largest skyline in the US complimented by the greenish ocean and bay, causeways, and lush semi tropical landscape.

Natural setting: The Seattle mountains edge out the lush palm trees and greenish Miami water.

Vibrancy: Miami is a sexy city that has a certain panache and style. Seattle is more down to earth, coffee culture, less show-offish, and “outdoorsy” (mountains, hiking, some boating for a portion of the year vs more yachting and beach dominated and Latin culture). There is a reason why the NFL has selected Miami as a Super Bowl host city for a record setting 11th time and well to do from around the world own primary or secondary residences here.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-24-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Believe it or not, there is more crossover between Florida and Washington than one would expect, especially given the sheer geographic distance -- and cultural distance -- of the two states. Much of this is due to the fact that both Florida and Washington have quite a few military installations, and neither state has a state income tax.

Source: https://www.governing.com/gov-data/p...-by-state.html

Old 01-24-2020, 11:02 AM

591 posts, read 820,239 times
Seattle for living. Miami for visiting.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Weather: Mami. The PNW is the only climate in the continental U.S. that I would actually hate to live in. The damp, cool/chilly, cloudy climate would drive me nuts. Tropical climates don't bother me at all.

People: Seattle. I'm not fond of either. But Seattle's residents seems happier and friendlier than in Miami, in my experiences.

Culture: If "culture" means various types of people, Miami

Cuisine: Miami

Entertainment: Mami

Architecture: Miami

Natural Beauty: Seattle

Vibrancy: Miami

Where would you rather live: Neither. But between the two, I'd choose Miami.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM

293 posts, read 245,670 times
Seattle by far, the weather in Florida sucks.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Weather: Seattle. Hot and humid is worse than 50s with light drizzle, the latter you can wear more and Goretex solves everything
People: Tie. Seattle is more Asian, Miami is more Latino.
Culture: Seattle, I'm more reserved, not showy
Cuisine: Seattle, I prefer seafood and Asian fusion
Entertainment: Miami. Warm ocean is fun.
Architecture: Seattle architecture is pretty boring on individual level, but collectively it stands out as very cohesive and fitting for its natural environment and hills. See picture below.
Natural Beauty: Seattle, Puget Sound, 3 national parks within 2 hours, plus British Columbia isn't far away
Vibrancy: Tie
Where would you rather live: Seattle

Seattle, Eastlake neighborhood (own work). Seattle is in a beautiful part of the country.

Last edited by Guineas; 01-24-2020 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 12:52 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Miami is always warm to hot, Seattle is cool to cold.
Seattle summers are warm by any standard (typically around 75-80 degree highs). It's a relatively short summer and the rest of the year is "cool to cold" but those 2-3 months where it's warm are amazing.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:54 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Weather: Seattle. Hot and humid is worse than 50s with light drizzle, the latter you can wear more and Goretex solves everything
People: Tie. Seattle is more Asian, Miami is more Latino.
Culture: Seattle, I'm more reserved, not showy
Cuisine: Seattle, I prefer seafood and Asian fusion
Entertainment: Miami. Warm ocean is fun.
Architecture: Seattle architecture is pretty boring on individual level, but collectively it stands out as very cohesive and fitting for its natural environment and hills. See picture below.
Natural Beauty: Seattle, Puget Sound, 3 national parks within 2 hours, plus British Columbia isn't far away
Vibrancy: Tie
Where would you rather live: Seattle

Seattle, Eastlake neighborhood (own work). Seattle is in a beautiful part of the country.
Eastlake is one of the most underrated neighborhoods in Seattle. I love the vibe there, the scenery, the neighborhoods restaurants and bars, and its proximity to Capitol Hill and Downtown while being a lot more low-key than those areas. This is one of the best photos of the neighborhood I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City