Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 04:08 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

NYC
NOLA
PHL
BOS
CHI

The rest do not really stand out. I am tempted to add LA. But in most of its form it is nothing but ugly suburban tract homes.

DC is too transient to have any soul and true character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 04:32 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not sure people outside of the Black community are familiar with 227. Same goes for "Amen" with Sherman Hemsley.

I think a show has to be extremely popular for a long time to make any imprint on people's perception of a city. A show like Dallas, for example, was huge in the 1980s, and still impacts how people outside of Texas view the city today.

Top Rated Programs - 1985-1990
I loved 227 and Amen! (I'm white, btw). I think that you are right about the popularity thing though. They were popular shows in some circles, but they weren't universally loved by a cross-section of people.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air/the Cosby Show were a lot more popular and that crossed into the white community - and a lot of white people still talk about how much they enjoy those shows today (though a little less with the whole Bill Cosby going to jail thing.....). Amen and 227 just never hit as big as the Fresh Prince and Cosby.

Still, I loved those shows. Marla Gibbs, Sherman Hemsley. They cracked me up! (I'm getting old......lol!)

Old 01-27-2020, 04:37 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not sure about that? This white kid from San Diego enjoyed it growing up. It apparently had an effect on white Canadians Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, along with Judd Apatow, who featured it in 2008’s “Pineapple Express”. James Franco’s laugh at Pearl’s comment is classic.

https://youtu.be/qCKrmMm9fmA

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/854cd64c-e...b-6bef2b00427c
No, I don't think many people outside of the Black community are familiar with it. It is "Black Famous" so to speak unlike the Cosby Show that is simply "Famous."

Quote:
“Blackfamous” is the gap between black stardom and white anonymity.

For instance: The highest possible rating on the “blackfamous” scale would be someone EVERY black person knew but was unknown by EVERY white person.

So I ask: Who is the most “blackfamous” person of all time?

— michaelharriot (@michaelharriot) December 14, 2019
https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/app...erl-1840434782

227 isn't as Black Famous as the Parkers, but it's Black Famous nonetheless.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:41 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, I don't think many people outside of the Black community are familiar with it. It is "Black Famous" so to speak unlike the Cosby Show that is simply "Famous."

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/app...erl-1840434782

227 isn't as Black Famous as the Parkers, but it's Black Famous nonetheless.
Maybe it’s a generational thing between you and I? My millennial wife didn’t know it until she met me, and I doubt my baby boomer Mom knows it, but all my Generation X friends do. I know this because after it was referenced in Pineapple Express I remember having the conversation with almost all of them about it. Even those who didn’t like the show all remember it and it’s premise.

You have to remember when it was out the Networks were still king and the tv was our babysitter, especially on Saturdays when 227 was on. Regardless, 227 if not the first, is one of the first tv shows/movies that comes to mind when I think of Washington D.C.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:56 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Maybe it’s a generational thing between you and I? My millennial wife didn’t know it until she met me, and I doubt my baby boomer Mom knows it, but all my Generation X friends do. I know this because after it was referenced in Pineapple Express I remember having the conversation with almost all of them about it. Even those who didn’t like the show all remember it and it’s premise.

You have to remember when it was out the Networks were still king and the tv was our babysitter, especially on Saturdays when 227 was on. Regardless, 227 if not the first, is one of the first tv shows/movies that comes to mind when I think of Washington D.C.
I am a millennial and only know about thanks to my gen x brother. He always watched the reruns with me at our grandmother's house. 227 was great, but lacked white characters and a big budget. Notice they always stay in their neighborhood while the Cosby Show and Family Matters took vacations/visited new scenery, had bigger guest stars etc...

Old 01-27-2020, 06:37 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
New Orleans, NYC, LA, Miami & Boston would probably be top 5.

Honorable Mentions:
Philly
Baltimore
Chicago
SF
DC

Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC has a nice Parisian feel downtown I guess-never been to Paris. I was talking more about the buildings themselves but I get it. It certainly stately and makes you feel like you’re in a capitol.
As someone who has been to Paris over a dozen time, I wouldn't put DC and Paris in the same sentence.
There are a few similarities here and there, but Paris is just different...but I guess from an American standpoint, its the closest match we have.
I think Boston and Philadelphia have a more Euro feel in their cores than DC does though.

DC is certainly stately in many areas though.

Last edited by cpomp; 01-27-2020 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC has a nice Parisian feel downtown I guess-never been to Paris. I was talking more about the buildings themselves but I get it. It certainly stately and makes you feel like you’re in a capitol.

As for local landmarks I feel like maybe I missed em. But I drove Uber for a looking time all over the DMV.. Couple thousand rides.

I have a Jamaican friend who visited me In Baltimore yesterday I know him from back home and urban planning circles,can he moved to Hillcrest Heights 3 months ago, works in Silver Spring. He enjoys the general ‘blackness’ of Maryland in comparison to Lynn and Boston. But he lamented the lack of West Indian Culture. I didn’t know DC had no ethnic festival though. Thats shocking.

He mentioned to me the trust thing which I had never realized but seeing you write it out makes more sense to me. I interpreted that as a “rules are rules” attitude that permeates the DMV. Very little friendly give and take and favors for each other.

I hate to say it but we walled around and he was snap chatting trying to convince his girl for them to move to BMORE lol. But hey he doesn’t live in DC-DC he might Feel differently if he did.

All I can say about sports is redskins tickets going for like 8 bucks bro. I went to a wizards game when the Celtics came and there were more Celtics fans. I walk in the arena it didn’t even smell like stale beer lol. And when the DE-FENSE chant came on the Jumbotron the crowd couldn’t even get hype for that. You’d have thought you were in a shopping mall. I know the Caps and Nate are going up though. And I love the Chinatown Galleria/capital one center vibe. Had some good nights there.

You’re right about the BIG Ten thing it just seems like more of them than I was used to in Nee England where it’s mostly just northeasterners. I realize that’s a me thing.
Oh yeah. That trust thing is real. And not just on public transit which is evident but also in public areas sometimes. Admittedly, I feel like I didn't see it either growing up here until I started travelling out to other cities. Then I realized, s#$t we might have an issue here. That goes back to a lack of cohesive culture or the "we're in this together" mindset. The problem is everything is still new and in flux so again, it's the unknown and the unique aspect. There is a fear of "standing out" or "rocking the boat"

Yup, DC has a few "festivals" which are mostly neighborhood oriented and not dedicated to the ethnic groups that live in the city/metro area. They don't take up the whole consciousness for that particular time of the city. I.e, look how important the Dominican/Puerto Rican festivals are to Boston and NYC. Even the San Gennaro Festival in NYC and in some of the other East coast cities. Or the Albanian parade in the middle of Midtown Manhattan. Trying making that happen in DC lol. DC's pale in comparison to other cities as I mentioned before. The only exception is the Chinese New year festival. There is a Latino festival but imo it's too broad (all Latino cultures aren't the same lol) and again so small in comparison to other areas. These international "celebrations" are confined to the embassies.

When it comes to the skins, yeah not much to say there .. They are a#$ lmao. The wizards aren't that much better either lmao. We really need a Vince Carter type to supercharge basketball culture in this region. Vince Carter wasn't the best but the impact he left on Toronto is still felt to this day through the city's diversity which filters into the nightlife and the culture especially with the music. Durant was supposed to be that guy but he chose Golden State lol. I don't blame him. Fans would have turned on dude so quickly.

The big 10 thing could be due to proximity and the industries that are in current dominance in the metro area.

Last edited by MDfinest; 01-27-2020 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Limited to just five, for me it's Boston, Savannah, Chicago, New Orleans and San Francisco.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Ehh, the neon style and latino vibe seems very fake to me in Miami. I'd rather go to a city that has more history and charactrer, and less shallow people.
Clearly the premise of this thread is lost on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City