Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boxing is more popular amongst older folks blacks and Latinos.

I wonder don’t white Americans guys box but will do MMA? Not a ton of white American MMA stars but there’s a few I think-virtually none in boxing.

I think there are still a variety of white boxers, usually not in heavyweight though which gets the most TV. Its kind of a underwolrd in boxing, I know a few guys involved. not a full time job anymore. a lot I think went into MMA, or security/police/military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 10:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To be honest, I dont see LA or Miami as top five here. For flavor sure, but not character.

Id go with:

NYC
San Francisco
Chicago
Philadelphia
New Orleans
I second this list.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:58 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I think there are still a variety of white boxers, usually not in heavyweight though which gets the most TV. Its kind of a underwolrd in boxing, I know a few guys involved. not a full time job anymore. a lot I think went into MMA, or security/police/military
I find welterweights get the most TV coverage theses days.

The last prominent white American boxer I can think of was Kelly Pavlik.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:22 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I find welterweights get the most TV coverage theses days.

The last prominent white American boxer I can think of was Kelly Pavlik.
Oh by TV I shouldve been more specific, I really meant big matches that get a lot of viewers, these are usually heavyweight , but with notable exceptions like Mayweather and Pacquaio

Old 02-04-2020, 06:54 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Here's a question for all of the "of course NYC no explanation needed" type of posts-

What exactly does NYC have that all of the other cities in the world of its size with similar characteristics (formed around ideal port location with supporting rivers) have?

I'm having a real hard time thinking of anything. Remember, the whole "media, finance, power" type stuff would apply to all of those other places as well.
I agree with this.

I’ve been to NYC many times, my wife asked me recently if I’d like to go for my birthday and I said “Why?”.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I agree with this.

I’ve been to NYC many times, my wife asked me recently if I’d like to go for my birthday and I said “Why?”.

My "why" is obvious. Entertainment. Several times a year, at least three, often up to six, I have to travel to NYC to see acts that don't/won't come to place like Boston. Euro and Asian acts often fly in, or out of, NYC and that's either the beginning or ending of their tours. DC and Philly are often played, but not Boston. It's just that much out of the way. Boston sometimes gets in the fold if Montreal is on the tour, but often not even then.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:35 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Yes—specifically, Broadway...off Broadway not the same thing. London is the only other city I have been to that can compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My "why" is obvious. Entertainment. Several times a year, at least three, often up to six, I have to travel to NYC to see acts that don't/won't come to place like Boston. Euro and Asian acts often fly in, or out of, NYC and that's either the beginning or ending of their tours. DC and Philly are often played, but not Boston. It's just that much out of the way. Boston sometimes gets in the fold if Montreal is on the tour, but often not even then.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:28 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes—specifically, Broadway...off Broadway not the same thing. London is the only other city I have been to that can compete.
Yup to both of these.

My biggest "why" is food. We're lucky in the U.S. to have access to such a variety of international and local foods. This applies everywhere in the U.S., but it's most true of NYC. Nowhere on earth has the diversity of cuisine that NYC has. Don't get me wrong, other cities have excellent food - Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, CDMX, etc. all have some of the best food on the planet. Singapore has one of the best blends of cultures as well, and Toronto consistently surprises people. But I've yet to go to a city where you can find more variety from more places at all different price points. So that would be my biggest why.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yup to both of these.

My biggest "why" is food. We're lucky in the U.S. to have access to such a variety of international and local foods. This applies everywhere in the U.S., but it's most true of NYC. Nowhere on earth has the diversity of cuisine that NYC has. Don't get me wrong, other cities have excellent food - Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, CDMX, etc. all have some of the best food on the planet. Singapore has one of the best blends of cultures as well, and Toronto consistently surprises people. But I've yet to go to a city where you can find more variety from more places at all different price points. So that would be my biggest why.
London.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
And you can get this variety of food in some places that stay open late into the evening/morning hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yup to both of these.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City