Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ intra-city immigrants doesn't make your city more cosmopolitan. Not sure where that came from. There is no such thing as a non-cosmopolitan DC, because at no single hour of the day are there only DC residents sitting inside, visiting, or walking around or taking the Metro train in DC. DC is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in North America, along with New York City, LA, SF, Chicago Toronto etc, in most part due to the fact that it's metropolitan area is among most cosmopolitan.
There's a clear difference between Annadale/Silver Spring/Rockville and DC. If by "cosmopolitan" we mean racially and culturally diverse then there is really nowhere in DC that would qualify as such. The closest may be Columbia Heights or Mount Pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's a clear difference between Annadale/Silver Spring/Rockville and DC. If by "cosmopolitan" we mean racially and culturally diverse then there is really nowhere in DC that would qualify as such. The closest may be Columbia Heights or Mount Pleasant.
So you’re saying to me that DC is not cosmopolitan? And/or would the average tourist visiting gain that impression of the city while there?

Old 02-06-2020, 09:04 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
^^^ intra-city immigrants doesn't make your city more cosmopolitan. Not sure where that came from. There is no such thing as a non-cosmopolitan DC, because at no single hour of the day are there only DC residents sitting inside, visiting, or walking around or taking the Metro train in DC. DC is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in North America, along with New York City, LA, SF, Chicago Toronto etc, in most part due to the fact that it's metropolitan area is among most cosmopolitan. The Southeastern NE suburbs are not more cosmopolitan than NOVA, or Mo County, MD, and definitely not more cosmopolitan than Washington itself, so the point about more immigrants means nothing here.
People from the far reaches of DC and far reaches of the Boston area do not regularly visit either city regularly nor do they work in the city for the most part. Furthermore who actually lives in the city does matter because they are the folks voting, utilizing services, passing on traditions and customs, living in the neighborhoods etc. Its not all that matter but it doesn. Still Boston's immediate adjoining have foreign born populations that are extremely high 35%+ percent in many cases. Chelsea Cambridge Lynn Malden Everett Revere Quincy Waltham Brookline all at least 28% foreign born.. see for yourself

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5218#POP645218

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...etts/POP645218

The centers of population and cultural drivers in the Boston MSA are dominated by immigrant concerns/issues etc.

It matters less in DC city proper versus not city proper because even far flung the suburbs are more interwoven and demographically similar to the city than is the case in Boston. And the city's character is not as defined.

The difference in MSA foreign born population is significant but not great and if you were to use a more practical view of the Boston metro-as people actually live it- is essentially on par with DC for foreign born folks.

The city simply is built of immigrants like Toronto NYC LA Chicago or even Boston. I do not find DC all that cosmopolitan. Because it feels like a few foreign diplomats,many american blacks and whites from suburbia -and demographic would support that.

Toronto NYC LA Chicago don't feel like that. SF doesnt feel all that cosmopolitan to me but the Bay does. Boston and immediate environs feels cosmopolitan and certain satellite cities but not so much as a whole-it feel more provincial and territorial than DC.

I do not feel like PG or Moco or NoVa of Howard County "is" DC at all.
They all feel culturally different but with similar physical landscape...

I'm saying this as someone who's lived in both places and been all over the DMV. I was literally in DC on Sunday.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People from the far reaches of DC and far reaches of the Boston area do not regularly visit either city regularly nor do they work in the city for the most part. Furthermore who actually lives in the city does matter because they are the folks voting, utilizing services, passing on traditions and customs, living in the neighborhoods etc. Its not all that matter but it doesn. Still Boston's immediate adjoining have foreign born populations that are extremely high 35%+ percent in many cases. Chelsea Cambridge Lynn Malden Everett Revere Quincy Waltham Brookline all at least 28% foreign born.. see for yourself

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5218#POP645218

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...etts/POP645218

The centers of population and cultural drivers in the Boston MSA are dominated by immigrant concerns/issues etc.

It matters less in DC city proper versus not city proper because even far flung the suburbs are more interwoven and demographically similar to the city than is the case in Boston. And the city's character is not as defined.

The difference in MSA foreign born population is significant but not great and if you were to use a more practical view of the Boston metro-as people actually live it- is essentially on par with DC for foreign born folks.

The city simply is built of immigrants like Toronto NYC LA Chicago or even Boston. I do not find DC all that cosmopolitan. Because it feels like a few foreign diplomats,many american blacks and whites from suburbia -and demographic would support that.

Toronto NYC LA Chicago don't feel like that. SF doesnt feel all that cosmopolitan to me but the Bay does. Boston and immediate environs feels cosmopolitan and certain satellite cities but not so much as a whole-it feel more provincial and territorial than DC.

I do not feel like PG or Moco or NoVa of Howard County "is" DC at all.
They all feel culturally different but with similar physical landscape...

I'm saying this as someone who's lived in both places and been all over the DMV. I was literally in DC on Sunday.
The diversity of "DC" is the Beltway really, which is about 2 million people. No one views the city by itself when talking about the area's diversity. So anything outside the Beltway is a part of the MSA, but can be taken with a grain of salt. The Beltway encompassing the District, Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Hyattsville, lower inner PG, etc. is where the diversity of the core exists. Over that stretch it's no less cosmopolitan than Miami or Chicago or Boston. I live in the DMV area, and have never been to Annandale, and a plethora of "diverse" neighborhoods in the outer burbs. I also have never met a foreign diplomat and still find the area cosmopolitan, so to each their own.

Also the difference in MSA percentage born between DC and Boston, was greater than the percentage difference you originally posted comparing the District all 61 sq mi to a state of 7 million people.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-06-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
So you’re saying to me that DC is not cosmopolitan? And/or would the average tourist visiting gain that impression of the city while there?
depends on where the tourist is from. Being form the city of Boston, no i've never found it all that cosmopolitan because I know what's up, I grew up in a cosmopolitan lifestylea t least culturally. If I were from a average US town sure Id find it cosmopolitan maybe more so than Boston because the downtown area is more racially diverse. But if I lived in the city and moved around Id know better.

But no it's not the most cosmopolitan city in the country when it has the same share of immigrants as a regular small city in Pennsylvania. No.

Now i would say there are cosmopolitan areas like Brightwood/Petworth/Georgia Ave Corridor but it's relatively small and not anywhere near as immersive as Uphams Corner, Roxbury Crossing, Lower Allston, Mattapan Square, much of East Boston, the North End etc.-and that's just Boston

it doesn't even begin to approach the levels of NYC LA Toronto etc.

DMV=one pf the most cosmopolitan metros in the US

DC= cosmopolitan but nothing special. It feels like a gentrifying city trying to become cosmopolitan late in the game. And it does so in sort of a generic/modern but pleasing way for most. Boston is moreso n a battle with DC in terms of urban amenities but it may have already surpassed DC in that with its music venues, arts, parks and luxury condominiums.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM

The only one comparing Toronto, LA, NYC is you. They are on a different tier than all of these places. Boston certainly isn't in the same breadth of those cities at all, which is why I'm perplexed at your continued singling out of DC.

Boston is not more "cosmopolitan" as a whole IMO than Washington DC. In the US, I'd put NY, LA, Miami, SF, DC, and Chicago in front, with Boston after that. Again arbitrary/ imaginary city boundaries aside. Actually Boston ahead of Miami i'll take that back.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The diversity of "DC" is the Beltway really, which is about 2 million people. No one views the city by itself when talking about the area's diversity. So anything outside the Beltway is a part of the MSA, but can be taken with a grain of salt. The Beltway encompassing the District, Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Hyattsville, lower inner PG, etc. is where the diversity of the core exists. Over that stretch it's no less cosmopolitan than Miami or Chicago or Boston. I live in the DMV area, and have never been to Annandale, and a plethora of "diverse" neighborhoods in the outer burbs. I also have never met a foreign diplomat and still find the area cosmopolitan, so to each their own.

Also the difference in MSA percentage born between DC and Boston, was greater than the percentage difference you originally posted comparing the District all 61 sq mi to a state of 7 million people.
Sure I can concede that.

Still its telling that MA, a somewhat isolated state, has a higher share of immigrants than DC-a major city and in the middle of the East Coast as you yourself proclaim.

...and 3% differentia from 17% is virtually not any different than 4% differential from of 23%

14/17= .8235

19/23= .8260

Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 AM

^^ MA was one of the first settled states in the Union, it wasn't "somewhat isolated" from the jump. We all know when DC was created, and when it began to boom, this is not new to anyone here.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The only one comparing Toronto, LA, NYC is you. They are on a different tier than all of these places. Boston certainly isn't in the same breadth of those cities at all, which is why I'm perplexed at your continued singling out of DC.

Boston is not more "cosmopolitan" as a whole IMO than Washington DC. In the US, I'd put NY, LA, Miami, SF, DC, and Chicago in front, with Boston after that. Again arbitrary/ imaginary city boundaries aside.
Miami: 41.03%
Los Angeles: 33.27%
San Francisco: 31.33%
New York: 29.17%
Houston: 23.63%
Washington D.C.: 23.09%
Riverside/San Bernardino: 20.58%
Boston: 19.03%
Dallas: 18.66%
Chicago: 18.04%

But what about this? Does that not put it in the same breath with Chicago.

CHicago city: 20.6% foreign born
Boston city: 28.5% foreign born?

where is Chicago winning? I guess urban amenities/scale?

literally brought a college friend of mine to Boston/Brockton he's from the Southside. We were waiting at a bus stop in Brockton MA. And his word were along the lines of "bro i feel like i'm in a different country! Do any of the M**f**rs speak english?"

How cosmopolitan can a city be with huge swaths of it being as racially homogeneous as the southside and being the most segregated major city in the country?

Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
If by "cosmopolitan" we mean culturally diverse, then no. The District of Columbia itself has practically no ethnic enclaves. The diversity in the region lies in the suburbs rather than the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City