Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,338 times

Advertisements

What are they? And they have to be cities that have more than 250k people and a metro of at least 1 million. So for example a place like Key West wouldn't count.

Character in this case means unique and that when you think of the city it really brings a distinct image not seen elsewhere in the US. Flavor means that it's just has this special kick to it too. That "oooomph" that really comes alive when portrayed in the media.

My top 5:

1. New York City - This doesn't need any explanation. NYC such a rich city in character and flavor.
2. Miami - Sexy, sultry, tropical and so Latin. It's another world down there.
3. New Orleans - The most unique character and culture in the US. You really don't get the experience in New Orleans anywhere else in the world.
4. Honolulu - See Miami, although it feels just a little more subdued and less sexy, but the Asian version of Miami.
5. Washington DC - Some people might fight me on this one. But this place conjures POWER. It might be sterile in it's own way, but I feel like that's part of its unique character and flavor. I think the only city that gives you this much sense in power is NYC. Walking into DC is like walking into the office of the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
San Francisco—rolling hills, winding streets, cable cars, Golden Gate Bridge, Victorian Houses, Alcatraz, food/wine etc—might replace DC or Honolulu for me on your list.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-24-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 02:57 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Philly and LA.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
I don't see DC at all, it's fairly generic to me. Not so sure about Honolulu either.

I'd add SF and LA probably. +1 to NYC, New Orleans, and Miami.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
What are they? And they have to be cities that have more than 250k people and a metro of at least 1 million. So for example a place like Key West wouldn't count.

Character in this case means unique and that when you think of the city it really brings a distinct image not seen elsewhere in the US. Flavor means that it's just has this special kick to it too. That "oooomph" that really comes alive when portrayed in the media.

My top 5:

1. New York City - This doesn't need any explanation. NYC such a rich city in character and flavor.
2. Miami - Sexy, sultry, tropical and so Latin. It's another world down there.
3. New Orleans - The most unique character and culture in the US. You really don't get the experience in New Orleans anywhere else in the world.
4. Honolulu - See Miami, although it feels just a little more subdued and less sexy, but the Asian version of Miami.
5. Washington DC - Some people might fight me on this one. But this place conjures POWER. It might be sterile in it's own way, but I feel like that's part of its unique character and flavor. I think the only city that gives you this much sense in power is NYC. Walking into DC is like walking into the office of the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.
I won't give you any push back with your inclusion of DC. I've always felt that it has a get vibe.

Chicago ALWAYS envelopes me with great vibes. As does Memphis. Memphis always made me feel like I was going to someone's bbq.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:48 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Miami

Boston

Los Angeles

San Francisco

New York

Old 01-24-2020, 05:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
New Orleans, NYC, Philly, SF, Miami

Old 01-24-2020, 05:12 PM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
NYC
LA
SF
Boston
Miami

Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't see DC at all, it's fairly generic to me. Not so sure about Honolulu either.

I'd add SF and LA probably. +1 to NYC, New Orleans, and Miami.
LA feels pretty generic tbh. IMO way to spread out to have such “character/flavor” it has a heck of a culture but maybe isn’t top 5. I agree with the others, and SF should be on the list. Top three are definitely NY/Miami/NO.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Los Angeles
New York
New Orleans
Miami
San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City