Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I don't get this at all. How seriously could Baltimore of all cities be the 2nd most searched, while Chicago is 24th, just one higher than Detroit! What even makes them think of Baltimore?
The chart was about percentage of searches from another metro area. Baltimore is commuting distance from DC, a different metro area, and far less expensive. It makes sense.

The biggest surprise for me was St. Louis leading the Midwest for out of metro searches. It's searches were still hyper localized to the Midwest itself though. Of all of its out of metro searches, 31.4% were coming from Chicago and 18.5% were coming from Kansas City. Those two cities made up approximately half of St. Louis' total out of metro searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Chicago is losing population at a staggering rate. But this isn't a comprehensive list of all major metro areas. Just the handful selected.
"Staggering" is a rather dramatic word to use. Chicago is still above its 2010 Census population. It's likely going to appear stagnate on the 2020 Census. The second half of the 2010s wiped out much of its gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/01...entals/605371/

I don't get this at all. How seriously could Baltimore of all cities be the 2nd most searched, while Chicago is 24th, just one higher than Detroit! What even makes them think of Baltimore?

Just mildly confusing is why 20% of Angelinos are considering Phoenix but only 12% of them are considering Las Vegas. Las Vegas is a lot closer to LA (and the ocean) than Phoenix plus the weather is noticeably more mild. Also, Vegas is an actual world class internationally renowned city like LA. Phoenix is neither of those.
Wait.....WHAT???lol

Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
These lists seem pretty consistent with my observations.

Midwest cities losing population, outdoorsy young cities like Denver, San Diego and Seattle are getting more attention.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mi...here-you-think

Old 01-27-2020, 10:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Yeah I can agree with some of that. Some people probably don't want to have to enter Mexico to go to the ocean though. The Phoenix area definitely isn't a slouch when it comes to natural amenities and cool temperatures and National Forrests are not far away. While the Vegas tech scene is not as robust as Phoenix's now, it's starting to catch up quickly, although Phoenix beats Vegas by a mile in that regard I suppose.
Phoenix beats Vegas at everything but entertainment really, it's vastly larger. There is much more of everything that matters for day to day living - jobs, flights, shopping, Medical anything, etc. And as much as it is unfairly derided, Phoenix has a functioning and growing Downtown.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoErase View Post
Friendly reminder that this website by no means represents any sort of scientific proof or representation of how things actually are in the real world.

This site tends to attract really WASPY type people that obsess over paper statistics for city superiority and not really on experience.

You see a lot of **** like "Denver can't possibly be better than San Francisco! It's got a lower per capita GDP!" etc.
Preaching to the choir here, but yes, bears repeating.

"Not enough Fortune 500 companies in Denver", LOL!

Old 01-27-2020, 11:24 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Keep in mind that the article pointed out one important fact:

Most of the people living in any given city who are looking to rent apartments in another are searching close to where they live now.

Baltimore is close enough to Washington that one could argue it's on the way to becoming a distant suburb of that city (though one could argue that only if one ignored Baltimore's own economy).

Washington's gotten awfully expensive - so much so that Washingtonians now account for a larger share of people looking for apartments in Philadelphia than New Yorkers do, according to that Apartment List survey. Baltimore being just a half hour up the road, it would make a lot of sense for Washingtonians wanting to move somewhere cheaper but still have access to DMV jobs and amenities to look in Baltimore.

That same proximity is why more people move between New York and Philadelphia than any other pair of cities in the country, and the affordability issue explains why the net migration between the two has been towards Philadelphia for at least the last two decades.

Baltimore isn't as far along the Rust Belt Revival curve as Philadelphia is.
Makes sense. Baltimore is a rust belt victim, but is literally on the most densely populated part of the US, the I95 northeastern corridor. It’s ripe for a renaissance. The west is my place, not so much the east coast, so I don’t know what problems it has spicifically, but it almost has to be ripe for something big.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Makes sense. Baltimore is a rust belt victim, but is literally on the most densely populated part of the US, the I95 northeastern corridor. It’s ripe for a renaissance. The west is my place, not so much the east coast, so I don’t know what problems it has spicifically, but it almost has to be ripe for something big.
It's a wonderful City, with some very cool people. The real issue is crime, and it's bad - perceived and real.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:17 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
I have no desire to move to Phoenix or Vegas, but the OP's list of advantages for Vegas over Phoenix are pretty marginal, IMO.

Weather- Both have unbearably hot summers and mild winters. Phoenix averages problem 5-7 degrees warmer than Vegas. So, slightly more terrible summers for Phoenix, but better winters. Spring is better in Vegas, fall is better in Phoenix.

Distance to LA- Vegas is about 100 miles closer, but traffic is worse between the 2, so usually only about an hour difference. If you go on a Friday, it's probably quicker to get to Phoenix (same going to LA on a Sunday).

Flight time is about 15 min difference, but I feel like taxiing to/from the gate takes longer at LAS vs PHX.

Entertainment goes to Vegas. Phoenix probably has more job opportunities since it is over twice the size of Vegas.

Overall, if you get priced out of LA and don't have specialized job skills, along with the IE, these are your go to metros. There is fair amount of job opportunities that don't require a lot of education in both and COL is low for the West.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Weather- Both have unbearably hot summers and mild winters. Phoenix averages problem 5-7 degrees warmer than Vegas. So, slightly more terrible summers for Phoenix, but better winters. Spring is better in Vegas, fall is better in Phoenix.

Distance to LA- Vegas is about 100 miles closer, but traffic is worse between the 2, so usually only about an hour difference. If tou go on a Friday, it's probably quicker to get to Phoenix (same going to LA on a Sunday).
Interesting thing about Phonecians that can afford it, many decamp for San Diego for part or all of the Summer. The breadwinner usually stays behind and jets over for the weekends, unless they work remotely. San Diegans refer to them as Zonies.

It's also a slightly shorter drive for them to San Diego than L.A.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:00 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The political incompetence thats in charge of the city, it's very real crime issues and poverty. Once those 3 things are addressed the city will flourish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City