Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas-Loop 12 vs. Atlanta-ITP
Dallas (Loop12) 39 39.39%
Atlanta (ITP) 60 60.61%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Atlantic Station was the largest mixed use project in North America at one time and as we speak is once again growing and connecting more with its surrounding area as it matures.

Last edited by JMT; 02-10-2020 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL
You sound desperate..I made mention of these things in my first posting why I see Atlanta having larger more major projects. Not buildings but multi billion dollar development projects

Georgia Southern is in Stateboro ,GA 3 hrs from Atlanta.
Its like you just have a need to make excuses for why things are as they are.
You repeated what I had already said about Atlanta having universities . Its apparent that you havent really read whats been posted about Atlanta because you are so focused on whats in Dallas.
Every single thing you posted about Dallas projcts I responded to or read but its clear based on your statements you really dont want to know.
Sure Georgia STATE University is defiantly a major catalyst for all the growth happening downtown ,but again,you keep proving my point why Atlanta inner area is and become more vibrant as it does have things like several universities,better transportation and better urban infrastructure like the Beltline and Bike lanes

You dont know Atlanta more than I know Dallas although I used to live severak years ago North of Dallas. In fact post people commenting on here will never know a city better than anyone who has lived or lived there so its irrelavant.
The difference is people like you post what you think is noteworthy which allow others like me show comparisons for the opposition.If you cant show where what Im saying is wrong ,then there is the proof in the pudding and again it just doesnt matter if you cant present counters to my arguments
I never said I was an expert on Atlanta and I have nothing but respect for Atlanta. You’ve attempted throughout the duration of this thread to make it seem like Atlanta was light years ahead of Dallas in urban development. Heck, you even got cute and said Atlanta urban core was developing more like urban cores in the Northeast.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:08 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Dallas is a great city and has a great Downtown but like Born2Roll mentioned (and I have also always felt this way), DFW and Atlanta while sharing many similarities are also vastly different largely due to the geographic region they encompass. DFW (like i've mentioned in other threads) carries more heritage to Midwestern and Pacific (gridded) cities than it does to Southeastern cities in terms of design. ATL and DFW coincidentally share similar layouts but thats really where it ends as far as their comparisons go.

Atlanta's core has been established for a longer period of time than Dallas's which also has to compete with a much larger multiplex that has nearly infinite room to grow. I have nothing against Dallas and I love the metroplex but (and Im sorry) Atlanta does have the better core area.

Last edited by JMT; 02-10-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Atlanta isnt an urban oasis. Neither is Dallas. Neither of them arent even close.

I can see Atlanta's core as being ahead because its older but I dont see its progressing any faster/slower than Dallas. They both seem to be putting in work to make their cores better and kudos to them for that. Modcut: Removed off-topic comment

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2020 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Atlanta isnt an urban oasis. Neither is Dallas. Neither of them arent even close.

I can see Atlanta's core as being ahead because its older but I dont see its progressing any faster/slower than Dallas. They both seem to be putting in work to make their cores better and kudos to them for that. Modcut: Removed off-topic comment
I agree with you. I personally feel that Dallas will have a very strong core by 2030 if areas East of Downtown Dallas develop like Uptown Dallas has. You would virtually have Downtown Dallas smashed between a heavily populated Uptown Dallas and heavily populated Deep Ellum to the east. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2020 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I never said I was an expert on Atlanta and I have nothing but respect for Atlanta. You’ve attempted throughout the duration of this thread to make it seem like Atlanta was light years ahead of Dallas in urban development. Heck, you even got cute and said Atlanta urban core was developing more like urban cores in the Northeast.
LOL.
Well first of all,I didny just "get cute".Ive always been cute.There is a cute gene that runs in my family from hundreds of years so.....

What you infer is different from what I have actually said.Throughout this thread Ive have acknowledged and agreed with others on things like Dallas having the much bigger,faster growing economy as well as its growing faster population and more construction projects,and slightly more dense areas further from the core.
Oh and yes I do think because of teh fact Atlanta has been gentrifying the most for the longer time than Dallas,its core which was at once very vibrant and very much like Northeast cities will return to that relatively soon. Much sooner than Dallas or Houston.
Atlantas downtown only needs a few key investments to reach its critical point where its a bonafide liveable downtown more than it already is.
Atlanta's problem with its downtown is that it needs more residents. The lack of residents has been attributed to a lack of amenities like grocery stores,retail and even more housing.
All of those as we speak are being developed.
MARTA Five Points Station is the hub for the subway.In every city where there is a subway,you can almost bet that around its main central hub,there is lots of street level activity.
This is true for Atlanta as well. GSU ,Atlanta and State government employees are a huge reason
The problem is that is dingy,lots of homeless and just not appealing in that immediate area but agian that is in the process of changing..

Atlanta has the bones of a Northeastern city.One of the first style of skycrapers in the US are the Flatiron Building in NYC in which Atlanta also has one that I believe predates the more famous one in NYC.
I stand by that statement .

Look at these old pictures of Atlanta
http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...AAAAAdAAAAABAI

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...AAAAAdAAAAABBJ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

You can clearly see that Atlanta was a very vibrant city but due to things like white flight which hit Atlanta much harder than Dallas as Atlanta was bigger downtown for many years. Even after Dallas first reported a larger population,Atlanyts downtown was dtill much larger. You dont seem to understand that reading on paper doesnt give you the entire story. Dallas grew many years faster because of annexation. Its downtown was never as populated as Atlanta's

https://digitalcollections.library.g...ighlightTerms=

That is why I said within 5 years it will happen.

Last edited by CleverOne; 02-10-2020 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

I can see Atlanta's core as being ahead because its older but I dont see its progressing any faster/slower than Dallas. They both seem to be putting in work to make their cores better and kudos to them for that. To me, Atlanta goes from urban core to exurban sprawl much faster than Dallas as you leave the center of town. Dallas' core might not be as developed as Atlanta's, but there are more layers of transition between urban core and exurban sprawl.
I dont think anyone has said either were .Also why is when one arguement cant be won,people bring up something totally off topic?
As I pointed out with the number of investment alone is enough to show why Atlanta Downtown is progressing faster.Thats my opinion and you have yours but the numbers dont lie.
So far at least $2.8b have already been invested in downtown Atlanta. The Gulch project is a $5b project alone.
The Underground Redevelopment is $500m.
None of that includes individual investments or building projects
Ive yet to see anything remotely close happening downtown Dallas and have asked but to no avail.

Its nothing to brag about and im not but this does show you just how much the downtown is changing.
https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/s...-neighborhoods

The worst neighborhoods in Atlanta are near its core .

Last edited by CleverOne; 02-10-2020 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 09:06 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone has said either were .Also why is when one arguement cant be won,people bring up something totally off topic?
As I pointed out with the number of investment alone is enough to show why Atlanta Downtown is progressing faster.Thats my opinion and you have yours but the numbers dont lie.
So far at least $2.8b have already been invested in downtown Atlanta. The Gulch project is a $5b project alone.
The Underground Redevelopment is $500m.
None of that includes individual investments or building projects
Ive yet to see anything remotely close happening downtown Dallas and have asked but to no avail.

Its nothing to brag about and im not but this does show you just how much the downtown is changing.
https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/s...-neighborhoods

The worst neighborhoods in Atlanta are near its core .
I don’t have a dog in this fight. Just posting my observations based on ample time spent in both recently.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
LOL.
Well first of all,I didny just "get cute".Ive always been cute.There is a cute gene that runs in my family from hundreds of years so.....

What you infer is different from what I have actually said.Throughout this thread Ive have acknowledged and agreed with others on things like Dallas having the much bigger,faster growing economy as well as its growing faster population and more construction projects,and slightly more dense areas further from the core.
Oh and yes I do think because of teh fact Atlanta has been gentrifying the most for the longer time than Dallas,its core which was at once very vibrant and very much like Northeast cities will return to that relatively soon. Much sooner than Dallas or Houston.
Atlantas downtown only needs a few key investments to reach its critical point where its a bonafide liveable downtown more than it already is.
Atlanta's problem with its downtown is that it needs more residents. The lack of residents has been attributed to a lack of amenities like grocery stores,retail and even more housing.
All of those as we speak are being developed.
MARTA Five Points Station is the hub for the subway.In every city where there is a subway,you can almost bet that around its main central hub,there is lots of street level activity.
This is true for Atlanta as well. GSU ,Atlanta and State government employees are a huge reason
The problem is that is dingy,lots of homeless and just not appealing in that immediate area but agian that is in the process of changing..

Atlanta has the bones of a Northeastern city.One of the first style of skycrapers in the US are the Flatiron Building in NYC in which Atlanta also has one that I believe predates the more famous one in NYC.
I stand by that statement .

Look at these old pictures of Atlanta
http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...AAAAAdAAAAABAI

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa...AAAAAdAAAAABBJ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

You can clearly see that Atlanta was a very vibrant city but due to things like white flight which hit Atlanta much harder than Dallas as Atlanta was bigger downtown for many years. Even after Dallas first reported a larger population,Atlanyts downtown was dtill much larger. You dont seem to understand that reading on paper doesnt give you the entire story. Dallas grew many years faster because of annexation. Its downtown was never as populated as Atlanta's

That is why I said within 5 years it will happen.
I actually enjoyed this post. You gave some strong attributes and mentioned areas of improvements. I love reading well-balanced post. I respect posters that give more of a complete picture.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I actually enjoyed this post. You gave some strong attributes and mentioned areas of improvements. I love reading well-balanced post. I respect posters that give more of a complete picture.
SAY WHAAAAATTTTLOL
I got a compliment from you?
Well dont that just warms my heart and thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City