Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas-Loop 12 vs. Atlanta-ITP
Dallas (Loop12) 39 39.39%
Atlanta (ITP) 60 60.61%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So it seems like no other 2 sunbelt cities get compared to the most on here than these 2. So I was interested to see how people view both cities core and see how they stack against each other. I believe Atlanta’s ITP is partially bigger than Dallas’s Loop 12 so there might be a slight advantage with Atlanta on that end imo but I still think their comparable enough. I thought about including Dallas 635 but that’s only a partial loop. So let me break down some notable things about the 2 cities.

Dallas Loop 12
Notable neighborhoods/cities :
1.Uptown
2.Downtown
3.Deep Ellum
4.Lower Greenville
5.Highland Park
6.South Dallas
7.Oak Cliff
8.University Park
9.Oaklawn
10.Knox/Henderson
11.Bishop Arts District

Places of interest/things to do:
1.Arts District
2.Katy Trail
3.Reunion Tower
4.Design District
5.SMU
6.Majestic theater
7.The Dallas World Aquarium
8.American Airlines
9. Dallas Farmers Market
10.Fair Park
11.White Rock Lake
12.Dallas Zoo
13.Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
14.Dallas Love Field
15.Dealy Plaza/Sixth Floor
16.American Airlines
17.Klyde Warren Park
18.Mckinney Avenue Trolley Uptown Station

Atlanta ITP:
Notable Neighborhoods/cities:
1.Midtown Atlanta
2.Buckhead
3.Downtown
4.Old 4th Ward
5.East Atlanta Village
6.Little 5 Points
7.Druid Hills
8.Decatur
9.Inman Park
10.West End
11.Cabbagetown
12.Virgina-Highlands
13.Ansley Park

Places of interest/things to do:
1.Beltline
2.Piedmont Park
3.Krog Street Market
4.Georgia Tech.
5.Fox Theatre
6.CNN Studio tours
7.Georgia Aquarium
8.World of Coca-Cola
9.Martin Luther King National Historical Park
10.Atlanta University Center
11.Emory University
12.Atlanta Botanical Garden
13.High Museum of Art
14.Ponce City Market
15.State Farm Arena
16. Mercedes Benz Stadium
17.The Carter Center
18.Georgia State University
19.National Center for Human and Civil Rights
You missed a few notable neighborhoods that are significant.South Side which is booming with more walkable pedestrian type development
Castleberry Hiill- New Hard Rock Hotel and apartments.
Grant Park-On the Beltline with lots of new development as well as the park being renovated itself.
https://twitter.com/ATLParksandRec/s...034624/photo/3

Summerhill- GSU moved into Turner Field No has a redevelopment of the area to create a university village. This area in 5 years will be the new hot spot of activity as it ties in to GP,Reynoldstown,Glenwood Park
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1500w
Reynoldstown- Memorial Drive and Bill Kennedy Rd a slew of major development like a new movie theater.

Further North ,you definately cant leave out West Midtown.that area is ridiculous in its growth

Old 02-06-2020, 06:47 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Atlanta.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Looks like people from Atlanta are underestimating Dallas and people from Dallas are underestimating Atlanta.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:18 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I had to reread this list like 3 times. I thought you had missed The High... I see it at 13 though, so we’re good.

Also, L5P may not be a residential neighborhood but it is a commercial one and I don’t think Dallas (or any other Southern city) has an answer for it.

Also, Fairlie-Poplar should have been added too. It’s honestly one of my favorite places to just walk. As is Centennial Park.
The type of person that frequents L5P or EAV in Atlanta would visit Deep Ellum / Exposition and Lower Greenville in Dallas. Perhaps even Bishop Arts although that has a bit different vibe.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:14 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I had to reread this list like 3 times. I thought you had missed The High... I see it at 13 though, so we’re good.

Also, L5P may not be a residential neighborhood but it is a commercial one and I don’t think Dallas (or any other Southern city) has an answer for it.

Also, Fairlie-Poplar should have been added too. It’s honestly one of my favorite places to just walk. As is Centennial Park.
Dallas does have Deep Ellum which is like a combination of L5P/EAV./Edgewood. The only difference is it doesn’t have as much of the eccentric people that flock the area quite like L5P. But Deep Ellum is bigger and seems more walkable than L5P. I think Dallas Oaklawn neighborhood would probably be a better comparison.

I’d also say:
1.New Orleans-Frenchmen street
2.Miami-Wynwood
3.Houston-Montrose
4.Austin- they have multiple L5P-ish areas.

So while L5P is one of my favorite things about Atlanta and it is unique, it’s definitely not unique to other major southern cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You missed a few notable neighborhoods that are significant.South Side which is booming with more walkable pedestrian type development
Castleberry Hiill- New Hard Rock Hotel and apartments.
Grant Park-On the Beltline with lots of new development as well as the park being renovated itself.
https://twitter.com/ATLParksandRec/s...034624/photo/3

Summerhill- GSU moved into Turner Field No has a redevelopment of the area to create a university village. This area in 5 years will be the new hot spot of activity as it ties in to GP,Reynoldstown,Glenwood Park
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1500w
Reynoldstown- Memorial Drive and Bill Kennedy Rd a slew of major development like a new movie theater.

Further North ,you definately cant leave out West Midtown.that area is ridiculous in its growth
Honestly I could have put down more for both cities but I made the list just so people could get a gist of what these cities have to offer in their core.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
My whole post I just wrote was deleted. But anyway the whole 635 loop in Dallas should have been included. There are neighborhoods in Dallas that were left off including the medical district, Trinity Groves, City Place, North Park, and Dallas Galleria area, the Telecom Corridor, Cypress Waters etc. Most appear not to be familiar with Dallas to begin with. North Dallas which includes the 635 loop is the most populated part of Dallas. A better comparison would have been Dallas County vs Fulton County to really see the beast Dallas is.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 02-06-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 07:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
No comparison sorry.
Lived in Dallas from 2001- 2015.
Moved to Roswell but spend every chance I get ITP.
I have roots in Texas, but my branches are LOVING Atlanta.
The pockets of interesting neighborhoods and events alone are mind blowing ITP.
And the lay of the picturesque land here is amazing.
One thing I do miss about Dallas is the tremendous amount of diversity within the population.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:27 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
No comparison sorry.
Lived in Dallas from 2001- 2015.
Moved to Roswell but spend every chance I get ITP.
I have roots in Texas, but my branches are LOVING Atlanta.
The pockets of interesting neighborhoods and events alone are mind blowing ITP.
And the lay of the picturesque land here is amazing.
One thing I do miss about Dallas is the tremendous amount of diversity within the population.
To be fair a lot has changed within the loop since even 2012. I remember going to Dallas every other weekend when I use to go to college in Waco and it looks and feels completely different now than it did back in 02-07 when I would frequent the area numerous times.

Not to sway your opinion cause I actually prefer ITP over Dallas Loop12/635 area but I do believe there is some comparisons as to what amenities it has to offer. There's a fair share of those in Dallas as well. I just know for me what separates Atlanta's ITP to me is the Forest in the city look and the cultural vibe of Atlanta. That's not to say Dallas doesn't have it's own flair. I definitely think it does and I really like a lot about the cluster of neighborhoods and communities that make up Loop 12/635 it's just Atlanta fits more of my vibe. I feel more comfortable moving around different areas in Atlanta's ITP in comparison to Dallas. But I could see some people preferring Dallas Loop12/635 area over Atlanta's ITP. Which is why I made the thread to begin with.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM

163 posts, read 156,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I honestly tried looking for that information but couldn’t find it for either city. Just looking at a map Atlanta’s ITP looks bigger but looks can be deceiving. That’s why I really wanted to include 635 as a “fairer” comparison but since it’s only a partial loop it didn’t make much sense to me.
Dallas Loop 12 is 47.74 miles in circumference and Atlanta's I285 is 63.98 miles in circumference.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 AM

355 posts, read 469,450 times
I don't know why but Atlanta looks kinda like Dallas, just with way more hills and trees. It does have a better core, but not by a large margin. Development patterns and styles are fairly similar too.

I'm typically critical of Dallas and what it's actively doing to improve its core, but there's a lot going on that we all should appreciate. For example, the CBD is now renovating one of the largest vacant buildings in North America, and the amenities will activate that area of downtown. This building will be the nail in the coffin for the era of empty buildings downtown, so people will begin to develop the vacant lots across the CBD. It's already happening in the East Quarter, Deep Ellum, and the Arts District.

Given the immense competition with its suburbs for high paying jobs and corporate relocations, Dallas is really improving its core. The evidence shows given the amount of construction & activity going on here, and the suburbs cannot mimic the downtown environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City