Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas-Loop 12 vs. Atlanta-ITP
Dallas (Loop12) 39 39.39%
Atlanta (ITP) 60 60.61%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Just from this statement alone one can imply or interpret that you felt Atlanta was the only one doing mega projects. I just didn’t make this up out of the thin air you know. One would think with the Metroplex robust growth that Dallas would be responsible for a sizable chunk of it you know.
Which again prove how I started out in my statement about how some people (you) cant accept that saying positives about one city doesnt negate what the other is doing.
You got in your feeling because I said the projects were on a much larger scale in Atlanta despite all your postulating still have not been able to prove I was wrong.
It was only you that went on about projects in Dallas after I posted those Atlanta projects which I have stated several times Atlanta has development projects that are far bigger than anything in Dallas
.Now you still havent proved me wrong and making a pretend argument in which you just said it was "inferred" but still cant provide the quote from me where I "inferred" Dallas didnt have big projects.
I specifically said what I said but somehow you want to ignore those statements and make up some fake argument.LOL wow

Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Just from this statement alone one can imply or interpret that you felt Atlanta was the only one doing mega projects. I just didn’t make this up out of the thin air you know. One would think with the Metroplex robust growth that Dallas would be responsible for a sizable chunk of it you know.
My post about this since you are seeing things that arent there.Let actually go back and find what really is there
Post#
Quote:
It seems when one says something big is happening in one city people feel like you are saying nothing significant is happen in the other city.Both things can be true but one of them is just "more true".
Quote:
What I see is Atlanta is not only expanding like Dallas and infilling in already popular areas but Atlanta's less desireable neglected South side is and has become destinations spots that have been there but they were too neglected and in some cases desolate.
Quote:
From the little I know. South Dallas doesnt have anything on the level South Atlanta developments.These are significant areas being totally ignored..
Then in post 68 you can clearly see I broke down the differences in the size and scope of the projects by highlighting in red showing you exactly what I meant by the level and type of development Atlanta was seeing and Dallas was not.

Its strange how you can keep engaging in those post only to be shown the facts you ask fr as well as get corrected by not just me but another poster with your statements of stuff you actually said that was just dead wrong and inaccurate like your statement about core sizes,or when you said it was 1930(true) before Dallas surpassed Atlanta in city population as you thought you were correcting me (you did) but still proved my point acknowledging that it was still a hundred years later Dallas had actually caught up to Atlantas population.
Your credibility is shot.
So you can sit here and keep insisting something that you know I never said or inferred as its written and spelled out for you in a few post exactly as it is. Not what only i meant to say but what I ACTUALLY said CLEARLY.

Last edited by CleverOne; 02-10-2020 at 12:18 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
If Atlanta and Dallas core was not so far apart then why is Atlanta;s downown population more than double the size of Dallas downtown ?
Why are there so many more downtown Atlanta neighborhoods with high walkscores than in Dallas

Dallas Uptown/Oaklawn has a population of over 50,804 (2014) you know. Downtown Dallas population is around 10,776 (2017) I am pretty sure GA Southern plays a huge part of why Atlanta Downtown population is around 26,850 (2017) and adjacent Greater Midtown Atlanta has a population of 41,681 (2011), which I’m sure GA- tech is responsible for some of that population as well. There very much comparable. Like I’ve been stating from the get go people in general don’t seem to know Dallas very well.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Dallas Uptown/Oaklawn has a population of over 50,804 (2014) you know. Downtown Dallas population is around 10,776 (2017) I am pretty sure GA Southern plays a huge part of why Atlanta Downtown population is around 26,850 (2017) and adjacent Greater Midtown Atlanta has a population of 41,681 (2011), which I’m sure GA- tech is responsible for some of that population as well. There very much comparable. Like I’ve been stating from the get go people in general don’t seem to know Dallas very well.
LOL
You sound desperate..I made mention of these things in my first posting why I see Atlanta having larger more major projects. Not buildings but multi billion dollar development projects

Georgia Southern is in Stateboro ,GA 3 hrs from Atlanta.
Its like you just have a need to make excuses for why things are as they are.
You repeated what I had already said about Atlanta having universities . Its apparent that you havent really read whats been posted about Atlanta because you are so focused on whats in Dallas.
Every single thing you posted about Dallas projcts I responded to or read but its clear based on your statements you really dont want to know.
Sure Georgia STATE University is defiantly a major catalyst for all the growth happening downtown ,but again,you keep proving my point why Atlanta inner area is and become more vibrant as it does have things like several universities,better transportation and better urban infrastructure like the Beltline and Bike lanes

You dont know Atlanta more than I know Dallas although I used to live severak years ago North of Dallas. In fact post people commenting on here will never know a city better than anyone who has lived or lived there so its irrelavant.
The difference is people like you post what you think is noteworthy which allow others like me show comparisons for the opposition.If you cant show where what Im saying is wrong ,then there is the proof in the pudding and again it just doesnt matter if you cant present counters to my arguments

Last edited by CleverOne; 02-10-2020 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,092 times
Dallas left Atlanta in the dust 20 years ago.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:53 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You do realize the exact same thing can be said about Atlanta?
That's going on in many cities all across the country, not just Dallas and Atlanta. The cities are taking back their downtowns.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reception1 View Post
Dallas left Atlanta in the dust 20 years ago.
LOL! Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Last edited by JMatl; 02-10-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That's going on in many cities all across the country, not just Dallas and Atlanta. The cities are taking back their downtowns.
I'm aware of that. It was stated as if Dallas has a lock on it, it doesn't.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:04 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So it seems like no other 2 sunbelt cities get compared to the most on here than these 2. So I was interested to see how people view both cities core and see how they stack against each other. I believe Atlanta’s ITP is partially bigger than Dallas’s Loop 12 so there might be a slight advantage with Atlanta on that end imo but I still think their comparable enough. I thought about including Dallas 635 but that’s only a partial loop. So let me break down some notable things about the 2 cities.
Yeah, Dallas and Atlanta seem to get compared to each other quite often.

And with Dallas and Atlanta both being prosperous and successful Sun Belt/Southern city/metros with high (and rising) profiles, it is understandable how both cities could be compared to each other on a frequent basis.

But beyond the fact that both Dallas and Atlanta are prosperous Sun Belt/Southern city/metros with superhighway loops around their urban cores (the I-635 LBJ Freeway/Loop 12 around Central Dallas, and the I-285 Perimeter around Central Atlanta) with metropolitan growth patterns that are predominant to the north sides of both cities, many of the comparisons pretty much seem to stop right there.

Dallas is culturally and geographically a Southern Plains/Southern Prairie city/metro, while Atlanta is a Southern Blue Ridge-Appalachian foothills/Southern Piedmont/South Atlantic city/metro.

Dallas has much more of a relatively sparsely wooded type of scenic look, while Atlanta (whose nicknames include "The City In A Forest") has much more of a woolly type of look and feel in many areas with its abundance of trees and very dense vegetation throughout.

Dallas is one of two established major urban cores and major central cities in a larger "Metroplex" region that also includes a second very large major city about 30 miles to the west in Fort Worth (...which is something that has necessitated a strong suburban development pattern to the west of Dallas), while Atlanta is the only established major urban core and major central city in its metro area/region.

While there are some notable similarities between the two cities, the multiple significant differences between them personally make me hesitant to draw too many comparisons between Dallas and Atlanta.

And while many of the comparisons between Dallas and Atlanta seem to come up because both cities may often compete directly with each other in many spaces, many of the comparisons between the two cities also seem to be motivated by a haughty Northeastern elitism that incorrectly derisively views (and/or often looks down upon) many cities outside of the New York-centered Boston/NYC/Philadelphia/Washington-anchored, I-95 aligned Northeastern Corridor as being very similar to each other.

Many Americans outside of those haughty elitist Northeastern circles (including many residents in the greater American Sun Belt) seem to accept the view that major Sun Belt cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Orlando, Nashville are all very similar to each other, when in fact they are all very different and unique from each other... Not unlike the differences between and uniqueness of each of their Northeastern counterparts.

Otherwise, one would expect Dallasites to favor living in Central Dallas, while one would expect Atlantans to favor living in ITP/Central Atlanta.

For me personally, if given a choice and/or if forced to choose, I would eager choose to live in ITP Atlanta because I am an Atlantan who loves living in Georgia and in the Southeastern part of the country.

I especially love being close to the highly scenic Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian foothills, mountain ranges, wilderness, recreational areas of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

I also love being near other nearby Southeastern cities and points-of-interest like Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Savannah/Hilton Head (and the Atlantic Coast), Charleston, Greenville (SC), Columbia, New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, Florida, etc.... So Atlanta really does it for me, not just because of the fun things to do that can be found inside of the city and metro, but also because of the fun things to do that can be found in the Southeast within driving distance of Atlanta.

Quote:
Atlanta ITP:
Notable Neighborhoods/cities:
1.Midtown Atlanta
2.Buckhead
3.Downtown
4.Old 4th Ward
5.East Atlanta Village
6.Little 5 Points
7.Druid Hills
8.Decatur
9.Inman Park
10.West End
11.Cabbagetown
12.Virgina-Highlands
13.Ansley Park

Places of interest/things to do:
1.Beltline
2.Piedmont Park
3.Krog Street Market
4.Georgia Tech.
5.Fox Theatre
6.CNN Studio tours
7.Georgia Aquarium
8.World of Coca-Cola
9.Martin Luther King National Historical Park
10.Atlanta University Center
11.Emory University
12.Atlanta Botanical Garden
13.High Museum of Art
14.Ponce City Market
15.State Farm Arena
16. Mercedes Benz Stadium
17.The Carter Center
18.Georgia State University
19.National Center for Human and Civil Rights
To your list of Notable Atlanta ITP neighborhoods/cities, I am going to add areas like Castleberry Hill, Reynoldstown, Kirkwood, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, West Midtown, Buford Highway, Brookhaven, Chamblee and Doraville.

And to your list of Places of Interest/Things to do, I am going to add the Fernbank Museum, the Fernbank Science Center, the Atlanta History Center/Cyclorama and Zoo Atlanta.

I'm also going to add to your list of Places of Interest/things to do, the College Football Hall of Fame, which is something that is essential for a conversation that is talking about two crazed football cities in Dallas and Atlanta, and two football crazed states in Texas and Georgia.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Don't want to sound like i'm picking on Dallas but Atlanta does have an older core. It was a more significant city in the south earlier than Dallas as well. Dallas was incorporated as a town in 1856, Atlanta was named Atlanta in 1847 but the city was Marthasville and was incorporated in 1843. Before than it was Terminus and had already began operating as a functioning settlement. From the 1840s to 1860s Atlanta had grown to be a small but important operating city. Dallas had 698 people in 1860. Atlanta had 9,554 people in 1860. Antebellum Atlanta was a real functioning city pre Civil War. Dallas wasn't even settled properly in that time frame.

Atlanta already had 5 tall buildings before Dallas had it's first. Atlanta's first was the Equitable building in 1892, Dallas first was Praetorian building built in 1909. It's pretty obvious to anyone that knows the history of this country that Atlanta has a older core than Dallas. Texas cities urban development didn't really pick up till after the oil boom. That's when cities like Dallas and Houston developed at a fast rate.
San Antonio's historic core is on par with Atlanta's, but yes after the oil boom Dallas and Houston became the big cities and started seeing their autocentric growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City