Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NE (no Boston) or NY (no NYC)?
New England (no Boston) 69 75.00%
New York (no New York City) 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 05:24 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When I went to school around Syracuse, I remember some girl from California making a passing comment on how the cities in both NY/NE were loaded with heroin and it killed the whole vibe of them. And she and her whole family didn't appreciate them. Drastic example there, but the cities in both don't come off as appealing when you see them in person.

So I think the winning factor here for both regions is Natural Beauty. But picking needles here. Both are gorgeous in their own ways. But the cities in both need a lot of work.
Yea I mean she’s not wrong. There’s a lot to dislike about NY and NE cities. More to dislike than like. If I didn’t have ties to the area I’d make sure to avoid almost all the cities up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 08:04 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I mean she’s not wrong. There’s a lot to dislike about NY and NE cities. More to dislike than like. If I didn’t have ties to the area I’d make sure to avoid almost all the cities up there.
I don't know if I would necessarily go that far and that issue is actually bigger in rural towns, suburbs and smaller cities.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if I would necessarily go that far and that issue is actually bigger in rural towns, suburbs and smaller cities.
If I wasn’t from here I’d avoid pretty much any city outside of New Haven Providence Boston and Cambridge.

And from what I’ve seen living there the addicts and drug dealers all congregate and concentrate in urban areas. Doesn’t matter much if the addiction is originally from some small town if hes a nomad and spends all his time on Mass Ave At the addict encampment trying to find his dealer...

Old 08-25-2020, 08:28 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
If I wasn’t from here I’d avoid pretty much any city outside of New Haven Providence Boston and Cambridge.

And from what I’ve seen living there the addicts and drug dealers all congregate and concentrate in urban areas. Doesn’t matter much if the addiction is originally from some small town if hes a nomad and spends all his time on Mass Ave At the addict encampment trying to find his dealer...
That's the thing, they aren't all in the cities in relation to the drug mentioned by another poster. Many are in some smaller communities outside of the cities.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:38 AM

I dunno maybe it really isn’t as bad in New York. MA cities were worse with this than Hartford and Albany so I could see that. Some cities in MA it’s just too much with the addicts. Honestly...

Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
I dunno maybe it really isn’t as bad in New York. MA cities were worse with this than Hartford and Albany so I could see that. Some cities in MA it’s just too much with the addicts. Honestly...
But NH is the worst of the New England states for opioid abuse, and it doesn’t really have any big cities. I’m with ckhthankgod about this one; it’s not just a big city issue.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
But NH is the worst of the New England states for opioid abuse, and it doesn’t really have any big cities. I’m with ckhthankgod about this one; it’s not just a big city issue.
Okay, I never ever said it was just a city issue. I said I would avoid cities in NE (not just because of heroin, but also that).

And again, addicts tend to congregate in cities because dealers and drug treatment centers nd other social services are in cities. So the blight that’s is their despair nd poor hygiene is played out in the streets of cities. That’s very obvious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUklrgS7iaQ

Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No, it's not just a big city issue. But it's more visible/out in the open in the cities in my experience. When I lived in Fall River and New Bedford, there were many times when I felt like I was walking/driving through an episode of the walking dead in some parts of town. Just people all over the place nodding off, stumbling down the street, or passed out on stoops and in doorways. I'm fully aware that it's technically everywhere, but there are far more places to be out of sight outside of the cities. Cities are also where the bulk of addiction services (treatment centers, shelters, etc.) are located, meaning you have concentrations addicts in very public spots. If you've walked around Causeway St/Canal, Boylston/Washington, Melnea Cass/Mass.Ave, etc. in Boston you know that there's very little even in the hardest-hit rural communities that compares to that. To the casual observer, the visibility resonates more than the stats. Ask anyone in NH, and they'll tell you that Manchester is the opioid hub even though there are plenty of rural communities that also look pretty bad statistically.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:32 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I found the ssue much worse in Upstate NY than New England. Upstate NY was pretty economically depressed compared to New England. Like New Haven and Lawrence might be really bad in the core/or sections of it, but the surroundings areas become really nice. Also rural areas in CT, Western MA and Vermont are pretty artsy and neat. But if it makes sense, Heroin hits NE cities harder I would say, whereas rural areas are hit harder in Upstate.

I havent been to NH in a while, but Im hearing it got really bad, even worse than the last time I spent mroe than a day there in 2016.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Upstate NY was pretty economically depressed compared to New England. Like New Haven and Lawrence might be really bad...
I feel like you haven’t seen enough of New England. There are a lot of pretty stale and/or crumbling places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City