Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NE (no Boston) or NY (no NYC)?
New England (no Boston) 69 75.00%
New York (no New York City) 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 07:21 PM

35 posts, read 23,108 times

Advertisements

Well the best part of NYS are Long Island + Westchester/Rockland imo simply because it's closer to the city, but then you have the high COL that comes with it. NJ alone is better than NYS without NYC, let alone New England without Bos. The winters are just plain harsh in Roc/Syr/Buf compared to the coastal cities like Providence, New Haven, and Portland, unless lake effect snow is your thing. New England has its depressing qualities of it's own, but I just find it to be more widespread in NYS. Places like Schenectady, Newburgh and Niagara Falls is the vibe I'm talking.. New England generally has more charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 07:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,393 times
Non-Boston New England beats non-NYC New York all day.

Food - New England
Cities with "cool factor" - New England

Only things that are probably a wash are outdoor activities.

Only thing I can say that New England doesn't really win in is friendliness. But the only real place in upstate NY where people are incredibly friendly are the Adirondacks region up near like Essex and on the Vermont border.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:04 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRight View Post
Well the best part of NYS are Long Island + Westchester/Rockland imo simply because it's closer to the city, but then you have the high COL that comes with it. NJ alone is better than NYS without NYC, let alone New England without Bos. The winters are just plain harsh in Roc/Syr/Buf compared to the coastal cities like Providence, New Haven, and Portland, unless lake effect snow is your thing. New England has its depressing qualities of it's own, but I just find it to be more widespread in NYS. Places like Schenectady, Newburgh and Niagara Falls is the vibe I'm talking.. New England generally has more charm.
Schenectady at least has the historic Stockade neighborhood, the Union Street area(Upper Union and the Union Triangle, as well as Union College, its President: https://www.union.edu/presidents-office ), Woodlawn and a Downtown that is constantly improving(Schenectady Community College is nearby and its president: https://sunysccc.edu/About-Us/Colleg...-the-President ). Niagara Falls still has the DeVeaux, LaSalle and to a degree, Hyde Park neighborhoods. Newburgh has some nicer outer city areas. So, those cities have a variety of areas too.

NJ has its cities/places with a “rep”(East Orange, Irvington, Camden, etc.), as does New England, relatively speaking.

There are some people that like snow and partake in winter activities like skiing, which you can do within minutes of those NY cities mentioned. With that said, the winter aspect gets overblown, as winters seem to be milder like this winter or snow comes in bursts then steadily melts like some recent winters.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-06-2020 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 08:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Non-Boston New England beats non-NYC New York all day.

Food - New England
Cities with "cool factor" - New England

Only things that are probably a wash are outdoor activities.

Only thing I can say that New England doesn't really win in is friendliness. But the only real place in upstate NY where people are incredibly friendly are the Adirondacks region up near like Essex and on the Vermont border.
As someone who isn't a fan of seafood, I'd strongly disagree. Buffalo wings, half moon cookies, Utica greens, beef on weck, chicken riggies, tomato pie. I mean basically in general the Italian food in Upstate NY is easily without a doubt the most underrated Italian scene in the country. My mouth is basically watering at this point thinking of a dinner of chicken riggies followed with a half moon for dessert.
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/food/..._all_love.html

But, I'll never deny that New England has the better cities like Providence and Portland and the better beaches.

As for friendliness, I find the people in the Hudson Valley to be quite friendly. The old industrial cities have that rough around the edges vibe and honestly are not all too different personality wise from Downstate.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Schenectady at least has the historic Stockade neighborhood, the Union Street area(Upper Union and the Union Triangle, as well as Union College, its President: https://www.union.edu/presidents-office ), Woodlawn and a Downtown that is constantly improving(Schenectady Community College is nearby and its president: https://sunysccc.edu/About-Us/Colleg...-the-President ). Niagara Falls still has the DeVeaux, LaSalle and to a degree, Hyde Park neighborhoods. Newburgh has some nicer outer city areas. So, those cities have a variety of areas too.

NJ has its cities/places with a “rep”(East Orange, Irvington, Camden, etc.), as does New England, relatively speaking.

There are some people that like snow and partake in winter activities like skiing, which you can do within minutes of those NY cities mentioned. With that said, the winter aspect gets overblown, as winters seem to be milder like this winter or snow comes in bursts then steadily melts like some recent winters.
A blog and video about the city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2DLsMv3hv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDz54OU638

https://theurbanphoenix.com/2018/04/29/walkschenectady/
https://theurbanphoenix.com/2017/12/...ectadytourism/
https://theurbanphoenix.com/2016/11/...nectady_surge/
https://theurbanphoenix.com/2016/04/...g-on-a-friday/ (includes Utica as well)

Old 02-07-2020, 08:44 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Interesting thing to think about from my perspective is without Boston and NYC, what do the current "secondary" cities look like in New York and New England?

In New England, Portland, Burlington, Providence, etc. are all pretty decent because they are relatively independent and serve as hubs for their respective regions. But what would places like Lynn (if we include it - it's part of metro Boston), Worcester, Brockton, Lowell, New Bedford, etc. look like if instead of Boston there was nothing? I bet they'd be better places. Same for Bridgeport and New Haven if NYC wasn't there.

I imagine New York State would be similar. Would Port Chester, Peekskill, or Newburgh be much larger and more influential? Would Albany be larger/more influential? And would it have a major impact on the W. NY cities? I would imagine at least some.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:05 AM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
It is lopsided comparison, NE beats NY. OP excluded Westchester county and Long Island to make this comparison even more one-sided. I would argue that even if we include Long Island and Weschester to NY team and add Fairfield County CT to NE team, NE beats NY by large margin. Long Island/Westchester are pro NYC for sure and many are part of NYC metro area so does Fairfield county CT. But they are not part of New York City. Lot's of people do not realize that distance between Manhattan/Stamford or White Plains is similar to Boston/Worcester. They are not as close distance as many perceive.

Long Island beaches are beautiful, but the housing price is very expensive. One could argue that small NE towns along New Haven and New London counties of CT are way better with cheaper housing price and much better value than NY Long Island counter-part. Plus Yale in New Haven is just a college town that no where in Long Island or Westchester County can match for nearby cultural entertainment.

White Plains is nice small city, but Stamford is awesome small city, and largest city on GDP in CT. There is also Greenwich, CT which is capitol of hedge fund of the world. I know many residents of fairfield county CT are pro NYC, but legally and technically the whole CT state is part of New England and this won't change in our life time.

Last edited by jxzz; 02-07-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Interesting thing to think about from my perspective is without Boston and NYC, what do the current "secondary" cities look like in New York and New England?

In New England, Portland, Burlington, Providence, etc. are all pretty decent because they are relatively independent and serve as hubs for their respective regions. But what would places like Lynn (if we include it - it's part of metro Boston), Worcester, Brockton, Lowell, New Bedford, etc. look like if instead of Boston there was nothing? I bet they'd be better places. Same for Bridgeport and New Haven if NYC wasn't there.

I imagine New York State would be similar. Would Port Chester, Peekskill, or Newburgh be much larger and more influential? Would Albany be larger/more influential? And would it have a major impact on the W. NY cities? I would imagine at least some.
Good questions, as these places are likely different places(maybe for the better) without those major areas.

In terms of the previous post, Suffolk County has the Hamptons and is actually included in this comparison. You also have some relatively affluent communities outside of the bigger Upstate cities and in parts that are still close to NYC, but are included in the NY portion of this comparison.

Something else to possibly consider is that it seems to be easier in parts of NY to get into say a very good school district due to having a wide range of price points.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:34 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTimetoMoveAway View Post
What is the point of this thread?

It has no point.

Without NYC and Boston, New York State and New England are rusted out cars in the front lawn up on blocks with the engine pulled. Northern New England is propped up with NY/Boston tourist dollars. It would turn into West Virginia without them. The rest of Massachusetts is propped up with Boston dollars. Connecticut with 'fancy' lower Fairfield County dollars. Providence would struggle far more without Boston.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:39 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTimetoMoveAway View Post
What is the point of this thread?

I got a better question that will feed the make-believe scenarios of so many C-D posters.

"What if California wasn't California and it was Alabama, and New York was Illinois but it was still in the Northeast, which would you pick?"

Are any of you suddenly going to move to New England now because you're picking it over New York state? No. So what's the point of discussing these fantasy scenarios?

Do you people work at all? The internet provides for some of the most insanely idiotic and pointless discussions imaginable.
Just entertainment. Like video games or a book or virtually anything else recreational. At lest it’s free.

What’s the point of you posting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City