Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Cincinnati, OH 63 46.32%
St. Louis, MO 29 21.32%
Milwaukee, WI 44 32.35%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
If you look at the links I posted, your belief is correct. Milwaukee is only dangerous in certain areas...the MSA is very safe. Most of the city is, as well. Like I said, just certain areas.
Well again, I pointed out metro data. Your links are all city only. The Milwaukee MSA is certainly very safe. The St. Louis MSA is even safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 08:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Well again, I pointed out metro data. Your links are all city only. The Milwaukee MSA is certainly very safe. The St. Louis MSA is even safer.
Seems like St. Louis has the most blight and run down areas.

Readers Mixed On Latest Blight Removal Effort – UrbanReview | ST LOUIS

Old 06-25-2020, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 17,958 times
I voted St Louis

But I'm not surprised it came last

Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times
I voted for St. Louis.

To its critics: yes, it does have the most blight of the 3. Yes, it's downtown, though attractive, is a bit on the quiet side.

That said, culturally, education, entertainment-wise and living wise, it is the strongest and most established of the 3. And even with the (slight) deficiency downtown compared to the other 2, none have a tourist attraction on the level of the Gateway Arch. The Arch is a Washington, DC-level attraction and draws visitors from around the country and is constantly buzzing with activity. St. Louis' top luxury hotels are on the grounds of the Arch and the entire area is a major downtown park. The ride to the top of the Arch involves getting a ticket and waiting in long lines -- it's just that popular -- and the ride itself is fun and the view from the top of the Arch, inside the tight quarters there is spectacular. Recently, St. Louis has expanded the base area of the Arch to include a large, very detailed museum chronicling the city's history back through Civil War times. It's all quite amazing.

Aside from the Arch, there are wonderful St. Louis neighborhoods and attractions. The huge Missouri Botanical Garden (which I missed my first visit there) is the largest and oldest urban garden of its type in the US. Forest Park at the western edge of the city hosts the main museums, including art. Nearby Central West End is a dense, Chicago-esqe bustling old/new walking district with beautiful old mixed-use retail and redbrick apts mixed in with elegant high-rise apt/condo buildings. Neighboring Barnes-Jewish hospital is a major medical/research facility tied in with prestigious Washington University at St. Louis.

Other bustling mixed-use districts include Delmar Loop (in neighboring University City), Lafayette Sq, Washington Street (downtown) and Tower Grove.

And, oh yeah, St. Louis is the only 1 of the 3 with a rapid transit system (actual rail, not bus) that effectively funnels passengers through downtown and the central area of the city -- directly serving Forest Park, Central West End and Univ. City/Delmar Loop -- as well as St. Louis' international airport. The cute little downtown tourist-y trolley lines of Milwaukee and Cincy don't compare.

Last edited by TheProf; 06-27-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Cincinnati across the board for me.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:16 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I voted for St. Louis.

To its critics: yes, it does have the most blight of the 3. Yes, it's downtown, though attractive, is a bit on the quiet side.

That said, culturally, education, entertainment-wise and living wise, it is the strongest and most established of the 3. And even with the (slight) deficiency downtown compared to the other 2, none have a tourist attraction on the level of the Gateway Arch. The Arch is a Washington, DC-level attraction and draws visitors from around the country and is constantly buzzing with activity. St. Louis' top luxury hotels are on the grounds of the Arch and the entire area is a major downtown park. The ride to the top of the Arch involves getting a ticket and waiting in long lines -- it's just that popular -- and the ride itself is fun and the view from the top of the Arch, inside the tight quarters there is spectacular. Recently, St. Louis has expanded the base area of the Arch to include a large, very detailed museum chronicling the city's history back through Civil War times. It's all quite amazing.

Aside from the Arch, there are wonderful St. Louis neighborhoods and attractions. The huge Missouri Botanical Garden (which I missed my first visit there) is the largest and oldest urban garden of its type in the US. Forest Park at the western edge of the city hosts the main museums, including art. Nearby Central West End is a dense, Chicago-esqe bustling old/new walking district with beautiful old mixed-use retail and redbrick apts mixed in with elegant high-rise apt/condo buildings. Neighboring Barnes-Jewish hospital is a major medical/research facility tied in with prestigious Washington University at St. Louis.

Other bustling mixed-use districts include Delmar Loop (in neighboring University City), Lafayette Sq, Washington Street (downtown) and Tower Grove.

And, oh yeah, St. Louis is the only 1 of the 3 with a rapid transit system (actual rail, not bus) that effectively funnels passengers through downtown and the central area of the city -- directly serving Forest Park, Central West End and Univ. City/Delmar Loop -- as well as St. Louis' international airport. The cute little downtown tourist-y trolley lines of Milwaukee and Cincy don't compare.
You'd be surprised what a big draw Lake Michigan is in Milwaukee. Right downtown...beautiful beach, beautiful parks, and cars parked from many, many states. It's not an "attraction" per se, with bells and whistles, but trust me, it attracts, and it's stunning. Kind of like Chicago...a downtown on an endless body of water.

Last edited by Enean; 07-13-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 05:04 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You'd be surprised what a big draw Lake Michigan is in Milwaukee. Right downtown...beautiful beach, beautiful parks, and cars parked from many, many states. It's not an "attraction" per se, with bells and whistles, but trust me, it attracts, and it's stunning. Kind of like Chicago...a downtown on an endless body of water.
Oh yeah, I was very impressed with Milwaukee's downtown lakefront and nearby beaches. They've done a nice job and highrise apts on the Lower East side are sprouting left and right.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:03 PM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
I've been to all three of these cities and it's a close call.

I'd say Milwaukee wins in one way, by looking at just the area from downtown up to lakeside suburbs Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. Downtown is clean and feels safe. The neighborhoods immediately north of downtown are nice and urbane; there is no bad area separating downtown from this area. After that the suburbs start with Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. These communities also feel urbane, with tree-lined streets, nice little Main Street areas and stunning lakeside locations. It's hard to beat this area anywhere.

The only downsides I can think of in Milwaukee might be that the western suburbs are a large area and nice but somewhat nondescript. The other potential negative would be the winters.

Cincinnati's best feature is its stunning historic architecture that stretches from downtown out to countless historic neighborhoods each with their own quaint business districts. The setting overlooking the river is beautiful. The suburbs are perfectly nice. And the city is right across from Kentucky, and thus not quite so far north from a weather perspective.

My negative for Cincinnati would be that the run-down areas follow the safe areas somewhat closely until you get outside the interstate loop, and there is a bit of a distance between downtown and the beginning of the safe areas around Hyde Park.

St. Louis has tons of character but what stands out to me is the St. Louis suburbs. If you drive through town from north to south (through Chesterfield and Creve Coeur) as I did recently. the city is mile after mile of lush, green, rolling hills much like Atlanta. Brand-new, modern office buildings line the interstate along with hotels etc. St. Louis suburbs are by far the best planned, in terms of feeling wooded, hilly, and with unsightly commercial areas contained into small areas.

The inner suburbs are full of giant, 1920s mansions. There is also the whole area around Washington University and Forest Park. The city is full of red brick row houses dating back to the 19th century. I don't particularly like that the city is rough around the edges and the downtown, while loaded with historic buildings, is rough-looking.

It's somewhat of a toss-up but for me the sheer size of St. Louis' beautiful, lush-green suburbs, at once leafy green/ wooded and laced with modern buildings filled with financial services companies, and location far enough south for decent winters, would probably be my choice.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:49 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
I think it’s fair to say post COVID Cincy has pulled away a bit. In many ways it’s a nicer city than before COVID while I get the sense COVID made a lot of issues in St Louis/Milwaukee worse.

I will say one knock I have in Cincinnati is OTR is more of an entertainment district than neighborhood. As even as it gets busier and busier it’s housing units and population is declining.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:25 PM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think it’s fair to say post COVID Cincy has pulled away a bit. In many ways it’s a nicer city than before COVID while I get the sense COVID made a lot of issues in St Louis/Milwaukee worse.

I will say one knock I have in Cincinnati is OTR is more of an entertainment district than neighborhood. As even as it gets busier and busier it’s housing units and population is declining.
Not sure about Cincinnati, but Milwaukee is actually thriving. The world headquarters of Northwestern Mutual, located in downtown Milwaukee, is bringing 2,000 more employees downtown to work. Also, Milwaukee has cranes in the air downtown. New condos and apartment buildings, and a cool new hotel in the Deer District, which is where the Bucks play. Milwaukee was set to be the location of the Democratic Convention, but Covid got in the way of that. HOWEVER, it will be the location of the Republican Convention in 2024. I'd say Milwaukee is doing just fine.

I'll attach one of the new buildings...the largest timber building in the world, I believe. https://www.ascentmke.com/

Here is the new hotel downtown in the Deer District...https://thetradehotel.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City