Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which trip is more budget friendly
Montreal,QC 16 43.24%
San Juan,PR 7 18.92%
Savannah,GA 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:39 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

You don’t say what your interests are. If you want the beach, then pick San Juan. If you like lots of great restaurants, shopping, art and history, pick Savannah. If you stay in the historic district, between River St and Forsyth Park, you can spend your days walking around to the squares, the riverfront, theaters, breweries, museums and galleries. There are good restaurants in all price ranges, and cuisines.
In May the weather here is gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 03:08 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ok, I know I made a thread months ago with a list of cities me and my wife are thinking about visiting for our Anniversary trip in May 6-11. At the time we decided Montreal was the best fit. Well we had a recent financial setback pop up recently so now we have to be more conscious of our budget with this trip. In doing so we decided with 2 other alternative options just in case Montreal is too expensive. Those other 2 options are San Juan, PR and Savannah, GA.
Do you have a specific number in mind for budget? Also, where have you traveled in the past that was particularly enjoyable, or is there a region out of these you have little or no experience with, that would be "most different"

Quote:
So basically this is what I gather from researching all 3 places and how they stack up against each other as far as expenses.

1. Montreal has the more expensive flights out the 3
2. Savannah tourist attractions seems to be the cheapest
3. Savannah and San Juan restaurants seem to be a little more expensive but not by much(could be wrong)
4. We might need to rent a car if we go to Savannah( We want to visit some of the Islands and i'm not sure if relying on other transit to and from in that situation will be less expensive)
5.San Juan has some pretty inexpensive flights from Houston if we take Spirit but after looking at baggage fees it might not be as expensive as I thought.
On flights: Have you considered as an option flying to Plattsburgh NY and then some sort of transit over from there? Or perhaps what it would look like to fly into Toronto or Ottawa instead and then take a train? These things may not be any cheaper... but they could be. Also, they may give you a chance to see multiple places, if that matters or appeals.

On tourist attractions: Which specific ones are you prioritizing or hoping to partake in? Each has a share of free ones too, though I'm not exactly sure how they'd compare.

On food: No knowledge of pricing for food in Montreal-but I can tell you that outside of the more tourist-centered restaurants in Old San Juan and Condado, I would presume your money to go farther with food there than with the other two, though I could be wrong on that.

On Savannah Transit: There is a shuttle bus service from Savannah to Tybee Island that runs 3 times daily and is $10 each way. Not cheap, but not horrible as car-free beach day option. I can't speak specifically to them, but I know there are Savannah Harbor cruises, and even a free one that goes across the river. Some other destinations that are near the city, but out, are Uber-able, I would think (Wormsloe Plantation Ruins and Bonaventure Cemetery come to mind in particular). There's also a daily Amtrak running between Savannah and Charleston if you wanted the opportunity to both. 8:20-10:00 in Charleston, then 7:00-9:00 or on way back out. Only issue would be it's about a 15 minute drive from Charleston Amtrak to actual center city so you'll have to factor Uber cost for that.

On baggage: One perk of San Juan, being a beach spot and all is that you can travel pretty light. We didn't check any bags and made sure that our carry-ons were within size limits so we weren't assessed fees. Your trip is longer, though.

Quote:
Now for either trip we would prefer not to rent a car. Matter fact we already decided if we go with San Juan or Montreal we'll rely on uber,lyft or public transit to get us to point A to B. I know Savannah is walkable but again would we need to rent a car if we wanted to take a day to go to Hilton Head or Tybee Island?
Despite what I mentioned about the Tybee Island shuttle-I'd still say Montreal is head and shoulders the best option for going car free-echoing projectmaximus point. The one caveat in that would be, as he mentioned, the varied landscapes of San Juan. Those (beaches, forest, etc.) are more accessible in San Juan, as Condado and it's beaches are easily connected to OSJ and other neighborhoods.

I also wouldn't consider passport purchases that much of an added expense either-think of it more as an investment in opportunity to travel internationally for the next decade at any point the call hits.

The only thing attraction wise that I see as particularly expensive might be if you were to do watersports, or to take a bus tour to a place like El Yunque, etc. The beach, wandering the historic streets, and even the paid attractions within the old city I would say are all relatively inexpensive.

I think flight might end up being your biggest factor as cost goes-but, if you can, don't factor passport into your budget thinking too much. Think of it as a one-off/separate thing allowing you to do trips like this.

I get the sense honestly that you really want to see Montreal, and given that your heart is set on that, I think you should still do that if you can even if it means trimming in certain areas as the trip itself goes.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'd still lean towards Montreal unless the flights were somehow far more expensive (which I can see being the case). Of note, flights may be cheaper (significantly so, in some cases) into Burlington, VT. Greyhound runs buses from BTV airport right to Montreal. it's about a 2.5 hour trip. If you're set on Montreal, check prices into Burlington combined with the bus to Montreal. May be a workaround.

I've done Airbnb in both Montreal and Savannah. Montreal remains one of the best values I've encountered on Airbnb. You can get a nice, centrally located spot for pretty good money. Savannah wasn't bad either, but we were a bit further out of the center. I'd definitely give the nod to Montreal on that front. I have only stayed in hotels in San Juan, so I can't really weigh in on that front. We love Airbnb for the option to cook at home and I'd lean towards Montreal.

For dining prices, I'd rank them as follows:
  1. San Juan
  2. Montreal
  3. Savannah

San Juan has a ton of cheap, excellent restaurants. It also has great street food (dirt cheap). So you can eat well for very little money there. Montreal is second. It's generally cheaper at the higher end than Savannah, and has much greater variety of lower and moderately priced meals. Poutine and Montreal Bagels are all over everyone's radar (for good reason), but it's an incredible diverse city and there's an abundance of great affordable ethnic cuisines - Middle Eastern, ramen, Caribbean, Portuguese, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. I'd pick Montreal for the sheer variety of affordable cuisine. Savannah is an exceptional food town. But it's a bit more limited on the lower end of the budget. We had excellent fried chicken there and Zunzi's is a must whether you're on a budget or not. But I think the other two cities (which are much larger), will give you much better options.

You'll almost certainly want a car for 6 days in Savannah. You'll be able to see most of the sites in town in a day or two. It's very small and compact. If you want to go to Tybee, Hilton Head, or anywhere else outside of town, a car is the best way (I'm not sure what transit options exist). But Savannah itself is very bike friendly if you're staying outside of downtown. Maybe you can rent a car for a portion of the stay instead of all 6 days? You won't need one in San Juan or Montreal.

Definitely walk through a Spirit reservation before you assume it's cheaper. You can add all of the things you need (i.e. checked/carry-on luggage, seat selection, meals, etc.) and get an idea of the total price. It adds up quickly. I don't hate Spirit, but the initial base fares that turn up in searches are deceptive. And they will charge you a fortune ($100 or more per bag) if you miscalculate and have to add a checked bag at the gate. So it's important to know exactly what you're bringing.

Overall, I'd lean towards Montreal or San Juan. Savannah is great. But I think you'll find that you end up spending more on a car, meals, and other things over 6 days. And depending on what you are interested in, San Juan and Montreal may offer more to do at free/little cost. Many attractions in either place are neighborhoods, parks (beaches in the case of San Juan), etc. that are free. This is true of Savannah too, but again, it's a small city and trips outside the city will make up a larger chunk of your activities.

If you go to San Juan, look into a day trip or overnight to Vieques. This can be done very affordably and the place is gorgeous, and the beaches are wonderful.
Thx! I looked into flying into Burlington but realize that's just as expensive as going into Montreal. However I think I found a loophole. Houston to Boston has tickets under $200. I'm thinking I could fly into Boston, rent a car and drive into Montreal. Won't use the car in Montreal just use it to get there. Seems like that's still a cheaper option even flying into Vermont.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:12 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Thx! I looked into flying into Burlington but realize that's just as expensive as going into Montreal. However I think I found a loophole. Houston to Boston has tickets under $200. I'm thinking I could fly into Boston, rent a car and drive into Montreal. Won't use the car in Montreal just use it to get there. Seems like that's still a cheaper option even flying into Vermont.
Sub $200 isn't bad at all for IAH-BOS flights. That said, would the cost of renting a car, parking for 5 nights in MTL, plus gas, tolls, etc. offset the savings on the flights? And would the added travel time (5 to 5.5. hours driving each way) chip into your vacation too much to really be worth it?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea and I'd actually do it myself. I've driven between Boston and Montreal quite a bit and I enjoy it - it's mostly easy, low volume driving and parts are very scenic. The two primary routes (93/89 and 93/91) are similar in time and I usually do one in one direction and the other heading the opposite direction with stops in Littleton, NH and Burlington or Waterbury, VT to break it up a bit. If you like beer at all, some of the Northeast's most notable breweries are on the route or a slight detour (Hill Farmstead, The Alchemist, Foam, etc.). But is that something you'd want to do for a relatively short trip? 10 or 11 extra hours is a big chunk out of a 6 day trip.

Not trying to dissuade you because I am the type of person who would absolutely do it and incorporate the drive into part of the vacation. But I can see the added hours not being worth it, and I can see the costs associated with the car offsetting the flight savings. Especially if your Airbnb doesn't include parking.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:37 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
I normally just fly into Westchester County (White Plains), rent a car and drive up I-87. 5 hours of driving, max. Maybe 4 hours.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Another option for Montreal could be to fly into places like Plattsburgh, Albany or Newburgh(actually has direct flights to Ireland) and take the train via this: https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak...n?unroute=true

If you do Newburgh(looks to be the most affordable of the 3 options), you could cross over to Beacon and catch the train to Poughkeepsie. Then, take the Adirondack Express from there to Montreal and you wouldn’t need a car involved at all.

However, you could even do a flight to NYC, then take the Adirondack Express all the way to Montreal.

Just some things to consider.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another option for Montreal could be to fly into places like Plattsburgh, Albany or Newburgh(actually has direct flights to Ireland) and take the train via this: https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak...n?unroute=true

If you do Newburgh(looks to be the most affordable of the 3 options), you could cross over to Beacon and catch the train to Poughkeepsie. Then, take the Adirondack Express from there to Montreal and you wouldn’t need a car involved at all.

However, you could even do a flight to NYC, then take the Adirondack Express all the way to Montreal.

Just some things to consider.
I’ve thought of flying to NYC and taking the train up... Now that you mention it, I might just do it. I’m a huge fan of rail travel, and Penn Station is easy enough to navigate. I second this option.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
If you go with Montreal and book an AirBnb, I'd recommend the LePlateau neighborhood (around Av Mont Royal and Rue St. Laurent). It's one of my favorite and among the best urban neighborhoods in North America. You can walk to everything, it has charming old rowhomes, good metro service, every kind of food and some 24 hour late night grub. It's near Mont Royal Park, and Little Italy. Check out the public market Marche Jean Talon and Fruiterie Milano the Italian Grocery Store on St. Laurent. I cooked at the apartment I rented and bought some amazing food in those markets and not too hard on the wallet since we weren't dining out.

You might consider swinging for the ticket to YUL and not having the hassle of having to drive anywhere. For the price you pay for AirBnb in a great Montreal neighborhood is still very affordable compared to others in a similar league (Boston/DC/San Francisco). Just enjoy your time in Montreal. You might consider an overnight in Quebec City and taking a three hour train ride from Montreal.

One other suggestion, if you're willing to fly to BOS, you could check airfare to Toronto (YYZ) as its an easy train ride to Montreal (5 hours), might be less than having the rent a car expense.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:04 AM

828 posts, read 649,086 times
Savannah is a good tier below the others for a six day trip. If it was 2-3 days, I might think differently and move it up the list, but unless you have a car and go to HHI or Charleston, you're going to get bored of Savannah rather quickly. And Charleston is extremely expensive to vacation in, as is HHI, across the board. Tybee is kind of fun though.

In the case of San Juan versus Montreal, depends what you want to do. Best time of year to visit Montreal is summer IMO, although early May should be at least decent weather wise (probably 50s-60s in the day, but it could be warmer as others have noted). I love both Montreal and San Juan. San Juan you have lots of scenery and places to visit outside too. However, it is not particularly good if you don't; have a car as the public transit there is not the best (putting it mildly). Lots of other incidental/ancillary expenses from my trips in San Juan too, but if done right, it can be decently inexpensive.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
If you go with Montreal and book an AirBnb, I'd recommend the LePlateau neighborhood (around Av Mont Royal and Rue St. Laurent). It's one of my favorite and among the best urban neighborhoods in North America. You can walk to everything, it has charming old rowhomes, good metro service, every kind of food and some 24 hour late night grub. It's near Mont Royal Park, and Little Italy. Check out the public market Marche Jean Talon and Fruiterie Milano the Italian Grocery Store on St. Laurent. I cooked at the apartment I rented and bought some amazing food in those markets and not too hard on the wallet since we weren't dining out.

You might consider swinging for the ticket to YUL and not having the hassle of having to drive anywhere. For the price you pay for AirBnb in a great Montreal neighborhood is still very affordable compared to others in a similar league (Boston/DC/San Francisco). Just enjoy your time in Montreal. You might consider an overnight in Quebec City and taking a three hour train ride from Montreal.

One other suggestion, if you're willing to fly to BOS, you could check airfare to Toronto (YYZ) as its an easy train ride to Montreal (5 hours), might be less than having the rent a car expense.
Second that. If you want to save money, avoid Airbnbs downtown and Old Port Montreal - they are always more expensive due to high concentration of tourists in those areas.

Le Plateau-Mont-Royal is a great alternative because:

1. 2 metro stations away from Old Port.
2. Very safe and walkable neighborhood, possibly one of the most walkable and culturally rich neighborhoods in North America.
3. Great transit options. An STM pass gets you on all buses and metros.
4. Recommend you get get a BIXI bikeshare if you are into biking, since Montreal has one of the best protected bike networks in the city, and you'll notice how biking is an extremely popular mode of transportation in Montreal for people of all ages.

I also recommend a few other neighborhoods:

1. Mile End
2. Atwater Market (Canal Lachine) / Griffintown
3. Verdun (more anglophone)
4. Westmount (more anglophone)

Canal Lachine / Atwater Market area (lots of new condos, renovated warehouses and lofts turned Airbnb, and outdoor food markets):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City