Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 12:59 PM

142 posts, read 93,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No DC doesn't treat it that way. Once you get north of Baltimore things like city/town even state boundaries matter much much more. South of Philly and into the rest of the country they don't care. and its very evident in the DMV. It's all just a 'place/area'
I think parts of Arlington have a bit of a "bro-y" or fratty reputation. Like Hoboken maybe. So, in the same way that cool kids in Williamsburg may not speak highly of spending a weekend night out in Hoboken, you might get that on 14th street in DC for Arlington.

But generally, I think Arlington and DC are much better stitched together than Manhattan and Jersey. The metro crosses DC into Arlington with no fanfare, it's just another stop, and traversing DC is already a Helluva lot easier than NYC. So, going into Arlington for something and back isn't a big deal. In Manhattan, you've got to get to a PATH station or a ferry, etc. Not the end of the world, but in DC it's just a small river crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:07 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post
I think parts of Arlington have a bit of a "bro-y" or fratty reputation. Like Hoboken maybe. So, in the same way that cool kids in Williamsburg may not speak highly of spending a weekend night out in Hoboken, you might get that on 14th street in DC for Arlington.

But generally, I think Arlington and DC are much better stitched together than Manhattan and Jersey. The metro crosses DC into Arlington with no fanfare, it's just another stop, and traversing DC is already a Helluva lot easier than NYC. So, going into Arlington for something and back isn't a big deal. In Manhattan, you've got to get to a PATH station or a ferry, etc. Not the end of the world, but in DC it's just a small river crossing.
you'd think so but you don't. I gave over 2k uber rides in the DMV. 14th street to Arlington was by far the most common route I ever gave. By far, by far, by far. No one ever spoke bad about any area in the DMV other than PG. Not once.

Demographically Arlington is just a smaller DC and 10% black instead of 45%. Literally the same people.

JC is more in line with NYC as a whole (not manhattan)

Cambridge is the closest equivalent to Arlington on a topic like this. Smaller whiter Boston but the two cities are deeply connected and dont differentiate very much. Even the politics in Arlington and DC appear pretty much identical (different than Cambridge/Boston)

Old 02-19-2020, 01:11 PM

142 posts, read 93,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
you'd think so but you don't. I gave over 2k uber rides in the DMV. 14th street to Arlington was by far the most common route I ever gave. By far, by far, by far. No one ever spoke bad about any area in the DMV other than PG. Not once.

Demographically Arlington is just a smaller DC and 10% black instead of 45%. Literally the same people.
Fair enough You seem as qualified as anyone based on that experience. Makes sense and speaks to how old stereotypes hang around. I think it does speak to how close inner Arlington and downtown DC actually are too. Not a big deal to take an Uber or metro from Arlington to anywhere in DC.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGentle View Post
Fair enough You seem as qualified as anyone based on that experience. Makes sense and speaks to how old stereotypes hang around. I think it does speak to how close inner Arlington and downtown DC actually are too. Not a big deal to take an Uber or metro from Arlington to anywhere in DC.
That experience is with someone who moved here, but it's different of those who are from here. The bottom line difference is that Arlington isn't Black. The "culture" or whatever remains of it in most of the DMV stems from the Black population. So yes there is a noticeable difference from Columbia Heights/Shaw Washington DC, or Anacostia, than there is Arlington. Same with PG County which is very much different from NOVA and Arlington like areas. Arlington is a business/transit node or hub, East DC and PG County primarily are not that. Arlington County has some of the best public schools in the country, PG and many parts of DC proper can't claim that. There is hardly any major crime, or murder in Arlington. There are differences to natives.

Growing up in DC or PG County the last place you could claim and still have street cred is Arlington. It's definitely not "all the same people". For all the business or transit nodes that takes place in Arlington, by local "Black DMV" folk, it's mainly a place to either go to the mall/ dine, go to work, or go the airport etc.

Not to get much off topic.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-19-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That experience is with someone who moved here, but it's different of those who are from here. The bottom line difference is that Arlington isn't Black. The "culture" or whatever remains of it in most of the DMV stems from the Black population. So yes there is a noticeable difference from Columbia Heights/Shaw Washington DC, or Anacostia, than there is Arlington. Same with PG County which is very much different from NOVA and Arlington like areas. Arlington is a business/transit node or hub, East DC and PG County primarily are not that. Arlington County has some of the best public schools in the country, PG and many parts of DC proper can't claim that. There is hardly any major crime, or murder in Arlington. There are differences to natives.

Growing up in DC or PG County the last place you could claim and still have street cred is Arlington. It's definitely not "all the same people". For all the business or transit nodes that takes place in Arlington, by local "Black DMV" folk, it's mainly a place to either go to the mall/ dine, go to work, or go the airport etc.

Not to get much off topic.
this is all true, that’s why I mentioned it’s only 10% black in Arlington- that matters. Much of which is be very recent arrivals and not only are they recent they’re wealthy, suburban and disconnected form the predominate DC/PG/MoCo black culture. But I don’t know if Black people treat it like an ugly stepchild/outlier. You’d know more than me, but I didn’t hear that or get that vibe. In the DMV there’s lots of places black people live that get you no ‘street cred’

But as far as white/Asian culture they’re pretty much identical. I can’t tell the Hispanic cultural nuances

Old 02-22-2020, 01:35 PM

700 posts, read 421,754 times
Jersey City without a doubt.

The food scene in Jersey City destroys both easily.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:37 PM

700 posts, read 421,754 times
Quote:
Arlington, VA has the best transportation access to the city core than the others, as well as jobs, schools, and shopping. The rest to the others.
This is false. JC has the path which is direct to Manhattan and a cheaper ride also.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:08 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
C'mon man, Arlington all the way. The women there are much better looking, there's a reason all the UVa and Va Tech bros hang out there. Better weather, and DC metro is an easy place to meet new people when you're from somewhere else.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:14 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Growing up in DC or PG County the last place you could claim and still have street cred is Arlington.
Some of us would rather find beautiful women than develop "street cred". Met my beautiful, out of my league, 15 years younger than I am, wife in Arlington. So will take that over Seat Pleasant or Suitland.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:30 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
JC and Arlington have a lot more in common than Stamford. There is nothing wrong with Stamford, but I don't really find it comparable to the other two. I have good friends that live in Ballston, Va and spent a good amount of time in the Newport, JC for work.

Walkable downtown area- Jersey City is more walkable
Nightlife/bars - I prefer the waterfront in Jersey city. Most of the time when we go down to Va, we head into DC. A lot of people in Jersey City hangout in Hoboken. I don't know if I could really say one is better than the other. I never went out to Journal Square at night
Schools - I would assume Arlington, but I don't know.
Jobs - Both have plenty of jobs
Transportation - Prefer the light rail / subway combo of JC
Nearby suburbs - I think it would be cool to live in like Weehawken/West NYC and take the ferry into Manhattan every day.
Shopping - I am not a big shopper so I don't know.
Does it feel like big city - I got to go with Jersey City. It feels more like a complete city and is a lot more walkable on a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City