Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy vs OKC vs Little Rock
Indianapolis, IN 46 64.79%
Oklahoma City, OK 14 19.72%
Little Rock, AR 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:15 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Small town feel, farming background, largest cities in their states, state capitals, notable southern influences, conservative, Native American settlements, flat topography, blue collar feeling, stable economies, low cost of living, nice suburbs, etc.
This is generalizing somewhat.
Little Rock is hardly flat other than the airport and maybe a couple other small areas. It’s not very blue collar either. More medical and state government workers than anything.
It is the most crime ridden of the three by a good margin, and in spite of having decent healthcare, the overall health of the population is dismal and obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. I don’t know that OKC fairs much better.
Indianapolis is the outlier here and feels like a typical midwestern city. Rough areas in the core, but good otherwise. The crime rates are on par with Nashville, which means it’s still pretty bad but gets a pass for at least not being the worst. Whatever southerness it has is no different than any other city along I-70. Which is to say, it has some but not enough to be terribly noteworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Little Rock is surrounded by rolling hills. The downtown is flat.
Have you explored Little Rock much? The hills start not very far west of downtown. Hillcrest and the heights or two of Little Rock's best neighborhoods and they are hilly.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
This is generalizing somewhat.
Little Rock is hardly flat other than the airport and maybe a couple other small areas. It’s not very blue collar either. More medical and state government workers than anything.
It is the most crime ridden of the three by a good margin, and in spite of having decent healthcare, the overall health of the population is dismal and obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. I don’t know that OKC fairs much better.
Indianapolis is the outlier here and feels like a typical midwestern city. Rough areas in the core, but good otherwise. The crime rates are on par with Nashville, which means it’s still pretty bad but gets a pass for at least not being the worst. Whatever southerness it has is no different than any other city along I-70. Which is to say, it has some but not enough to be terribly noteworthy.
I agree with this.

OKC does have a more blue collar feel overall than Little Rock does. One thing about Little Rock is it's suburbs have a very different feel to them than the core city. The suburbs of Little Rock are more blue collar and more conservative. Most of Little Rock's most important suburbs are also disconnected from the core city. Places like Benton, Bryant, and Conway are commuter towns for Little Rock but are also separate and have separate identities. Little Rock's best traditional suburb is probably Maumelle, which has an upscale, white collar feel.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this.

OKC does have a more blue collar feel overall than Little Rock does. One thing about Little Rock is it's suburbs have a very different feel to them than the core city. The suburbs of Little Rock are more blue collar and more conservative. Most of Little Rock's most important suburbs are also disconnected from the core city. Places like Benton, Bryant, and Conway are commuter towns for Little Rock but are also separate and have separate identities. Little Rock's best traditional suburb is probably Maumelle, which has an upscale, white collar feel.
I agree with this too. It is not a negative thing at all to feel more blue collar or conservative. In fact, it is safe to say that it adds a more welcoming down to earth feel, especially as a tourist. I think Little Rock is underrated on CD for its offerings. Maumelle is simply gorgeous.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Looks like Indy has won this one by a landslide... granted, when I started this poll I didn't realize how much larger (population wise) Indy was compared to the other two cities.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambit25 View Post
RE: city amenities I don't see OKC or LR being in the same tier as Indy.
Weather-wise I prefer OKC and LR to be better.

IMO Indy's amenities, economy and urban landscape put it well above the others.
Weather wise I'd say LR > Indy > OKC.

Little Rock may have similar climactic averages to OKC, but in my opinion less extreme arctic fronts during the winter, less wind, and fewer EF3+ tornadoes make the difference for me. I think Little Rock feels more like the southeastern United States than the plains in terms of the climate. There is a feel in the air there you don't have as often in the plains.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karambit25 View Post
RE: city amenities I don't see OKC or LR being in the same tier as Indy.
Weather-wise I prefer OKC and LR to be better.

IMO Indy's amenities, economy and urban landscape put it well above the others.
Indianapolis rises above them easily in amenities. It is too bad that some of the downtown retail has failed in recent years, as the retail apocalypse continues to shutter stores. Indianapolis has the most potential imo if they could get their crime under control and possibly land some headquarters/major operations. Btw Little Rock's Arthurs steakhouse is really good for local fare.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Indianapolis rises above them easily in amenities. It is too bad that some of the downtown retail has failed in recent years, as the retail apocalypse continues to shutter stores. Indianapolis has the most potential imo if they could get their crime under control and possibly land some headquarters/major operations. Btw Little Rock's Arthurs steakhouse is really good for local fare.
Indy has a cool downtown area (granted it's been a while since I visited). When I was in college I visited many times and always enjoyed the area. I just wish they could continue to improve the area and try and move away from the stigma of being a "boring" city. OKC seems to really be making waves in that way.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Indy has a cool downtown area (granted it's been a while since I visited). When I was in college I visited many times and always enjoyed the area. I just wish they could continue to improve the area and try and move away from the stigma of being a "boring" city. OKC seems to really be making waves in that way.
Yeah! Liquor stores are now allowed to open on Sunday in Oklahoma City!

Old 03-17-2020, 06:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Retail complexes all over United States are being clobbered by closures. Malls aren't as fashionable today as they once were in the past. Indy isn't alone in this regard. Today more and more people are shopping online it seems. Indianapolis' downtown is thriving. Anyone who says it's not has obviously not been the on quite some time. Also, economically Indy punches well above its weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City