Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is More Culturally Significant
Memphis is More Rich in Culture 30 32.26%
Houston is More Rich in Culture 59 63.44%
Ahh Culture Smulture ( I don't like culture) 4 4.30%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Ha Ha Ha....Nooo Justin had a hit last year with "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
Beyonce goes to Paris and makes a Song called "Ape Hit" (put a S in front of hit), I mean Really....That's what you call Culture!?
If you're talking about Can't stop the feeling, that came out in 2016. That was around the same time Beyonce had a big hit. So yeah in fact, I would actually place Beyonce above Justin Timberlake at superstar status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
I guess Houston has comtempary based on the comments but really Beyonce is played, her music has been kinda lame lately, and her sales are declining, Aretha Franklin and Justin Timberlake are Memphis superstars, but to each their own
Lmaoooo let’s get one thing straight here. Aretha was born in Memphis. Her family moved to Buffalo,NY when she was 2, than later to Detroit when she was 5. Her Dad is originally from Mississippi. She’s as connected to Memphis as Nelly is to Austin. Meaning she’s only tied to the city because she was born there. She’s Detroit Bred more than anything. Her home is in Detroit and she was buried in Detroit. Memphis can’t really claim her.

Justin Timberlake doesn’t scream cultural importance nowhere near the level of Beyoncé. Nor does he incorporate Memphis into his music either. Beyoncé actually embodies Houston in her music. She’s considered a trend setter and cultural icon. Justin is considered a cultural appropriater. It’s a difference. And I’m not even a fan of Beyoncé music but I know who has the bigger cultural influence.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:56 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
How old are you? And have you ever been anywhere outside of Memphis/Shelby County, TN?
I Do Not live in Memphis

Old 03-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you're talking about Can't stop the feeling, that came out in 2016. That was around the same time Beyonce had a big hit. So yeah in fact, I would actually place Beyonce above Justin Timberlake at superstar status.
I looked at the Album sales for Beyonce's and Justin's Last Albums. Beyonce sold around 1.5 million Justin sold around 800,000 sold so it appears you're correct there is No Answer for Beyonce, And she does incorporate a lot of Houston themes, but you gotta Admit her Music has been very Lackluster lately Right?

Old 03-04-2020, 02:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I looked at the Album sales for Beyonce's and Justin's Last Albums. Beyonce sold around 1.5 million Justin sold around 800,000 sold so it appears you're correct there is No Answer for Beyonce, And she does incorporate a lot of Houston themes, but you gotta Admit her Music has been very Lackluster lately Right?
I don't even like her music. But I'm just saying she is just as much a superstar as Justin Timberlake is if not a bit more.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:37 PM

Elvis Presley world wide Album Sales 225 million
Beyonce World Wide Album Sales 118 million

Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
-More Local Arts and Culture: Houston has better arts and cultural venues almost certainly
-More Musically inclined icluding music artists past and present: Memphis per capita, esp. historically. It’s a central part of the city’s identity. And Elvis is from there
-City that Excudes the Most Culture: This one’s hard to say. What kind of culture are you looking for? That would be your answer
-City whose Culture has impacted the World the Most: As far as overall city impact, I would say Houston. As per cultural production. Memphis. Elvis and the Blues and etc are VERY significant.

As for which is a better cultural experience-again that would be largely subject to individual taste. Houston is a far larger city, but Memphis arguably/likely has a more unique identity overall. I personally think Houston offers far more overall at this point-due to size, but yet no street in Houston “talks” quite like Beale Street does, it that makes sense.

If you are at least somewhat open minded, both have different and exciting things to offer.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Memphis is rich in local culture. Houston is much more varies and has many different cultures. So Houston by miles.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lmaoooo let’s get one thing straight here. Aretha was born in Memphis. Her family moved to Buffalo,NY when she was 2, than later to Detroit when she was 5. Her Dad is originally from Mississippi. She’s as connected to Memphis as Nelly is to Austin. Meaning she’s only tied to the city because she was born there. She’s Detroit Bred more than anything. Her home is in Detroit and she was buried in Detroit. Memphis can’t really claim her.

Justin Timberlake doesn’t scream cultural importance nowhere near the level of Beyoncé. Nor does he incorporate Memphis into his music either. Beyoncé actually embodies Houston in her music. She’s considered a trend setter and cultural icon. Justin is considered a cultural appropriater. It’s a difference. And I’m not even a fan of Beyoncé music but I know who has the bigger cultural influence.
So is nobody going to talk about Houston's unique car culture? Memphis doesn't have that.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:43 PM

202 posts, read 320,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
So is nobody going to talk about Houston's unique car culture? Memphis doesn't have that.
Houston is easily a top 5 car city in the country. I only see LA, SF, and maybe Detroit/Miami ahead of it. From old school, swangers, exotics, tuners, luxury. Etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City