Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: OKC vs. Hampton Roads?
OKC 13 24.07%
Hampton Roads 41 75.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:19 PM

193 posts, read 204,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Yes, I knew Hampton Roads was a collection of cities that together are a metro area. I'm comparing HR with OKC metro area.

Would you say Hampton Roads has better scenery than OKC? Seems like OKC is hillier. Or would you say that even somewhere flat can have great scenery?
As far as scenery goes, I prefer the Atlantic Coastal Plain (Tidewater) of eastern Virginia over the Great Plains of central Oklahoma. The Hampton Roads area is indeed flat but what sets it apart IMO is the presence of water--everywhere. The Hampton Roads area seems to have water in every form--bays, inlets, rivers, lakes, and of course the Atlantic Ocean. Adding to the experience is lush evergreen foliage which is prevalent in this part of Virginia.

A favorite driving experience is crossing the 17.5-mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connecting Virginia Beach with the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Half-way across you feel like you are driving on water as land is barely visible in any direction (except for the man-made islands which anchor the tunnels). There are also numerous man-made water-related attractions in the area such as Nauticus, a maritime science museum located on Norfolk's waterfront. Berthed nearby is the battleship Wisconsin, one of the last great battleships built by the U. S. Navy.

Several miles west, on the Peninsula side of the James River, is Jamestown--the first permanent English settlement (1607) in North America. Nearby is Colonial Williamsburg. The Yorktown Battlefield and Visitor Center is on the York River a few miles southeast of Williamsburg. Connecting all three sites is the beautiful 23-mile-long Colonial Parkway.

IMO, no state can beat Virginia when it comes to a combination of natural beauty and history, and this part of Virginia is just one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 02:35 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
As far as scenery goes, I prefer the Atlantic Coastal Plain (Tidewater) of eastern Virginia over the Great Plains of central Oklahoma. The Hampton Roads area is indeed flat but what sets it apart IMO is the presence of water--everywhere. The Hampton Roads area seems to have water in every form--bays, inlets, rivers, lakes, and of course the Atlantic Ocean. Adding to the experience is lush evergreen foliage which is prevalent in this part of Virginia.

A favorite driving experience is crossing the 17.5-mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connecting Virginia Beach with the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Half-way across you feel like you are driving on water as land is barely visible in any direction (except for the man-made islands which anchor the tunnels). There are also numerous man-made water-related attractions in the area such as Nauticus, a maritime science museum located on Norfolk's waterfront. Berthed nearby is the battleship Wisconsin, one of the last great battleships built by the U. S. Navy.

Several miles west, on the Peninsula side of the James River, is Jamestown--the first permanent English settlement (1607) in North America. Nearby is Colonial Williamsburg. The Yorktown Battlefield and Visitor Center is on the York River a few miles southeast of Williamsburg. Connecting all three sites is the beautiful 23-mile-long Colonial Parkway.

IMO, no state can beat Virginia when it comes to a combination of natural beauty and history, and this part of Virginia is just one example.
^ All of this. Hampton Roads' scenery is very underrated. The presence of water everywhere along with the lush foliage/flora is pretty cool. Virginia is a very beautiful state overall. Even the drive on the constantly congested HRBT can be quite scenic and calming with all of the water and scenery around (the ships, the NAS Norfolk infrastructure, the beautiful homes on the shore, etc.)

While OKC isn't all the barren prairie that a lot of people think it to be, the Cross timbers region that it partially sits in just doesn't appeal to me the same way as the forests of the Eastern US does.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
^ All of this. Hampton Roads' scenery is very underrated. The presence of water everywhere along with the lush foliage/flora is pretty cool. Virginia is a very beautiful state overall. Even the drive on the constantly congested HRBT can be quite scenic and calming with all of the water and scenery around (the ships, the NAS Norfolk infrastructure, the beautiful homes on the shore, etc.)

While OKC isn't all the barren prairie that a lot of people think it to be, the Cross timbers region that it partially sits in just doesn't appeal to me the same way as the forests of the Eastern US does.
I agree with this. I enjoy driving through the wide open Great Plains to the west of OKC much more than the crosstimbers. The short, shrubby blackjack and post oak trees with thick, thorny undergrowth just don't do it for me.

Meanwhile, I love the majestic, tall forests of the eastern US. When I used to drive across the country on I-40, I especially enjoyed the scenery once you get east of Memphis.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:29 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post

I'll have to agree. I haven't been to Hampton Roads. BUT I have been to NoVA during the summer, and the greenery is incredible. I've also been to New Orleans and Biloxi, MS during the summer--which is a very flat, muggy, swampy environment, basically Hampton Roads but on steroids--and I didn't mind at all that it was flat. All the greenery, the water, the ponds, bayous, and the Gulf MORE than made up for the flat terrain.

Bottom Line: People from Southern California wrongly assume that just because New Orleans or Hampton Roads is flat, that means they have ugly scenery. These same Californians will then go on to say how scenic the shrubby, brown, dry chaparral hills of Southern California are in the summer. Californians need to know that there's a LOT more to scenery than just topography.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hampton Roads.

FWIW, OKC is supposedly the way Austin used to be before it exploded...or atleast thats what people tell me.
Wow--sounds like OKC has potential! If even an ultra-conservative Austin of 50 years ago can boom, so can OKC!

Old 03-16-2020, 06:10 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Wow--sounds like OKC has potential! If even an ultra-conservative Austin of 50 years ago can boom, so can OKC!
I don't see OKC becoming like that.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Calling Austin "ultra-conservative" in 1970 is some serious, serious historical revisionism.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:14 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Calling Austin "ultra-conservative" in 1970 is some serious, serious historical revisionism.
Yeah that's not true whatsoever. Of course it's often the case that today's societal norms are yesterday's progressive goals, and that's why people tend to get "more conservative" as they age, so in that sense Austin was more conservative back then than it is now.

However, relative to its peers, Austin in the 70s was just as liberal as today if not more so.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Yeah that's not true whatsoever. Of course it's often the case that today's societal norms are yesterday's progressive goals, and that's why people tend to get "more conservative" as they age, so in that sense Austin was more conservative back then than it is now.

However, relative to its peers, Austin in the 70s was just as liberal as today if not more so.
Then why are some saying that before Austin boomed it was similar to OKC?

Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think OKC wouldn't get as much hate if it wasn't for it's awful weather, boring natural scenery, and being the capital of one of the most conservative states in the country. Indianapolis suffers from the same problem, though it's a little more respected because it's a larger city and is considerably more urban than OKC. Still, it tends to be unable to shake a reputation on City-Data for being dull and boring.
Though I wouldn't want to live in OKC due to it's high tornado risk and being flat as a pancake, it's far from "boring" for an area its size. There's a good bit to do and their residents are actually very polite. The fact that it's simply conservative as a reason for "getting so much hate" is hysterically ironic. Non-conservatives clams to fight "hate", but your statement confirms that OKC's simply being conservative invites hate from those not conservative (ie they "ask for it" for being conservative). I mean, WOW lol. Exhibit "A" as to why the hate towards OKC is based on a certain level of bigotry towards them for nothing other than not thinking believing like those who hate them rather than anything of any merit whatsoever, lol smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City