Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro has more baggage, historically and in the present?
Baltimore 25 54.35%
St Louis 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times

Advertisements

I would say Baltimore, simply because of the footage of the recent riots that can be readily viewed and aired on national and global TV for about a week. You "hear" about problems in both cities, but the fact that there is recent footage of the chaotic riots in Baltimore, gives it more palpable "baggage." Plus, the string of recent corruption over the last decade involving multiple mayors and city officials gives Baltimore more baggage. In addition to squeegee kids incidents and many media stories of incidents involving tourists getting beat up/ assaulted over the last decade (including the tourist who was stripped of his pants after being assaulted- on YouTube). Baltimore definitely takes the cake for negative, publicized incidents despite them both having the "perception" of having baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 01:58 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Both cities, as do many others old industrial cities, Cleveland included, have their share of urban problems. But I voted St. Louis, which I had the pleasure of visiting for the first time 2 hot summers ago-- and really enjoyed it. Despite its problems, St. Louis has a lot going for it: an attractive though a bit lifeless downtown (Gateway Arch really helps, though), cool, historic walkable neighborhoods, like CWE, Soulard, Tower Grove, etc.

Baltimore has a much sturdier downtown urban core, with vibrant, adjacent to downtown neighborhoods such as Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, Little Italy/East Harbor, Fells Point and Canton -- most of which are attractive/historic old rowhouse, walkable areas. St. Louis, as a Midwestern City, more mirrors Cleveland, with a gulf of worn out industrial and/or blighted neighborhoods adjacent to downtown (for Cleveland, this is more on its East than West Sides where as St. Louis kind of has a ring around all sides of downtown).

Also, Baltimore Harbor, itself, offers an active waterfront district with river taxis, local cruises and waterfront restaurants... By contrast, St. Louis' Mississippi River location offers none of this, aside from a paddleboat cruise now and again. But the Mississippi is very wide and largely industrial and St. Louis, recreationally and entertainment-wise, has almost no interaction, aside from visitors to the Arch overlooking it.

As for mass transit, both cities, while having imperfect rail systems, get points for having rail rapid transit, at all, while most American middle/large cities do not. St. Louis' LRT MetroLink is cool. Baltimore has heave and light rail systems, but they are disjointed with LRT having a horribly slow street running section along a badly blighted street (Howard) into downtown. But Baltimore benefits from its East Coast location near DC and Philly, and is served by 2 MARC commuter rail lines as well as, of course, Amtrak's electrified Northeast Corridor rail line featuring Acela, the closest thing America has to a bullet-type, high-speed network.

Both cities are benefited by hosting 2 top universities -- Hopkins and Wash U, and have strong medical centers as well as cultural bases.

Both cities have been plagued by race-related riots in recent years which have hurt their national reputations (and, I'm sure, why they were picked for this thread). However, St. Louis' racial problems seem deeper and more ingrained than B'More's, by a long shot. Despite the horrible Freddie Gray death and some issues white visitors are having with African American youth around the Inner Harbor these days, there seems to be more harmony and cooperation among the races in Baltimore as opposed to St. Louis. -- just my impression.

Both cities have way too much blight as do all American cities highlighting our laissez faire have/have not society. To me, this universal American urban problem is a national embarrassment.

Last edited by TheProf; 03-15-2020 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 02:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Bmore. Despite an elite location, harbor, and proximity to the beltway, it still has issues.

St. Louis is Mizzurra. Which is perceived as backwards, isolated, and not much going for it. St Lewie logistically speaking, has a lot less going for it.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:10 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Did Baltimore ever have anything like Pruitt-Igoe or the East St Louis massacre?
It had a few Pruitt-igoes

Old 03-15-2020, 03:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Both cities have been plagued by race-related riots in recent years which have hurt their national reputations (and, I'm sure, why they were picked for this thread). However, St. Louis' racial problems seem deeper and more ingrained than B'More's, by a long shot. Despite the horrible Freddie Gray death and some issues white visitors are having with African American youth around the Inner Harbor these days, there seems to be more harmony and cooperation among the races in Baltimore as opposed to St. Louis. -- just my impression.
Very interested in your take on race relations in St. Louis and Baltimore.

Growing up in St. Louis, I would alway hear and read about how behind race relations where in St. Louis. When I moved away to North Carolina, Tennessee and Illinois, I found there wasn't any less racism but it always revealed itself according to the local culture. An example is a friend of mine worked in NYC for a few months and was harrassed quite often on her journey to and from work. NYC has a lot of culture and diversity but has a lot of racial problems. Her story could be written about any American city. It isn't the same in St. Louis but she has other racially motivated incidents to talk about in St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City