Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,897,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Incorrect. The stats show that Shelby County grew by 801 in 2019 and 1,114 in 2018. So Shelby County's growth actually slowed a bit last year.

Look for the "Population, Population Change, and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2019 (CO-EST2019-alldata)" link at the census web site:
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...nty-metro.html
Aw, I just Googled Shelby County tn population census and the first one that popped up said it was 935,000 in 2018 and 937,000 in 2019 perhaps I looked at it wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
It's pretty sad that +33,000 qualifies for #5 these days. What happened to this country? Our growth used to be so much better. We're following the European trajectory on purpose.
Immigration has nearly ground to a halt, and birth rates are plummeting. If we don't allow more immigrants, most metros will eventually be in decline.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
My takeaways,

Baltimore's 9000 person loss in the city dragged its already anemic MSA population growth yearly down overall for the first time by 70 people. Baltimore County also lost 0.1% of it's population year over year.

DC's growth, all things considered, is still pretty healthy. But no where near earlier part of the decade.

Texas is still Texas and each of it's major metros impress even with lower numbers than the beginning of the decade.

Phoenix is a top 10 metro now and will probably remain there for our lives, unless Boston's MSA boundaries change.

Atlanta still shows impressive growth even though it's at the low end of the top tier. It may rise as high as the 6th largest MSA in 20 years or less. I believe long term DC stays ahead of Miami metro as it can expand more, has better jobs, and better domestic migration numbers.

The mega cities/metro or big 3 (NY, LA, Chi) will still have either loss or anemic growth until this immigration stuff gets figured out.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
None of those cities are terribly obsessed with size (Asheville is probably the opposite, being worried it’s growing too much). Fayetteville isn’t dinged because people doubt it’s the top dog in ENC. It’s dinged because it suffers the same fate all military towns do, and all the annexations have left it a low-density nirvana with a downtown straight out of 1970, which is like a fate worse than death on city-data.
All of that true, but there's also some bias as people talk about how "small" Fayetteville is, but not how small the darling cities are in comparison...

A Fayetteville thread just got 86'd last week with replies of that sort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
The loss of Caroline County (and the addition of a much less populous King and Queen County).
Damn.....Caroline has been trending more NoVa-ish for awhile, anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh's MSA will pass OKC in 2 years at current growth rates/numbers.
Raleigh's MSA growth alone is nearly identical (not using adjusted 2018 numbers) to Nashville's, and that's not even considering Durham's MSA growth numbers. Raleigh's MSA is achieving this in less than 38% of Nashville's land area.
Raleigh added Franklin County, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Really? Looking at a map, Stockton looks closer to Sacramento than to SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Is Stockton considered East Bay? Isn’t it miles from the ocean?
On the ground, Stockton is most definitely a Sacramento city, one smooth drive down I-5 with many shared characteristics...

Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
My takeaways,

Baltimore's 9000 person loss in the city dragged its already anemic MSA population growth yearly down overall for the first time by 70 people. Baltimore County also lost 0.1% of it's population year over year.

DC's growth, all things considered, is still pretty healthy. But no where near earlier part of the decade.

Texas is still Texas and each of it's major metros impress even with lower numbers than the beginning of the decade.

Phoenix is a top 10 metro now and will probably remain there for our lives, unless Boston's MSA boundaries change.

Atlanta still shows impressive growth even though it's at the low end of the top tier. It may rise as high as the 6th largest MSA in 20 years or less. I believe long term DC stays ahead of Miami metro as it can expand more, has better jobs, and better domestic migration numbers.

The mega cities/metro or big 3 (NY, LA, Chi) will still have either loss or anemic growth until this immigration stuff gets figured out.
Baltimore's MSA is much worse off than it appears.

Basically all of the growth is happening in Anne Arundel and Howard, and that's growth in DC commuters, not Baltimore commuters.

Take out the DC commuters who live in the Baltimore MSA and their numbers would look grim. A shame since the city had so much promise. But the people keep voting for corrupt identity politicians (and I say this as a liberal), so it seems things won't be fixed for awhile.

On your last bullet, DC booms when we enter recessions. It's inverse to the country writ large. It the economy continues to collapse and the Fed Government continues to fail in its response, a recession looks likely.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:04 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,200 times
I predict Indianapolis and San Jose metros surpassing Cleveland which will land at or below Nashville. Atlanta will replace Philadelphia. Miami is safe. Chicago is still safe as well.

Last edited by Shakeesha; 03-26-2020 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: wrong metro listed previously

Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Baltimore's MSA is much worse off than it appears.

Basically all of the growth is happening in Anne Arundel and Howard, and that's growth in DC commuters, not Baltimore commuters.

Take out the DC commuters who live in the Baltimore MSA and their numbers would look grim. A shame since the city had so much promise. But the people keep voting for corrupt identity politicians (and I say this as a liberal), so it seems things won't be fixed for awhile.

On your last bullet, DC booms when we enter recessions. It's inverse to the country writ large. It the economy continues to collapse and the Fed Government continues to fail in its response, a recession looks likely.
Agreed.

Also with Caroline County, VA did it enter the Washington MSA yet? Or did it just end up in a Richmond CSA instead of MSA. Either way the pull in that county is most definitely trending northward, and with I-95 express lanes heading towards Fredericksburg and more rail on the way, that looks like it may be a permanent fix.

DC's orbit is expansive, well beyond the stretch of 6.3 million.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:09 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Quote:
At least 330 million in its orbit

Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Also with Caroline County, VA did it enter the Washington MSA yet? Or did it just end up in a Richmond CSA instead of MSA. Either way the pull in that county is most definitely trending northward, and with I-95 express lanes heading towards Fredericksburg and more rail on the way, that looks like it may be a permanent fix.

It's in neither. Pulled out of the Richmond MSA, but not yet added to DC. It's an orphan/buffer county like King George and Orange. DC MSA only added Madison County, VA (also far on the fringes).

I think we add King George County and Orange County well before Caroline though. Lake of the Woods is the fastest growing part of Orange County, and is very close to Fredericksburg. Same for King George (which was actually in the MSA until 2003).

Old 03-26-2020, 01:15 PM

6,810 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
I think this is physically impossible.

Boston’s MSA is hemmed in on all sides by Providence, Worcester, Nashua/Manchester, and Portland. Land would need to be removed from those other 4 MSAs to increase the size of Boston’s, and I don’t see that happening.

In the case of Worcester and Nashua, you’d pretty much need to totally dissolve their MSAs in order to add their territory to Boston’s. That or re-draw county lines and/or state borders (lol as if).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City