Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Harris County losing Dometics already? Surprises me

We like to talk Smack about Atlanta and Phoenix etc on this website. But they are Showing out with these numbers
Phoenix debatably has the best preforming economy in the US right now. There’s no trash to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 06:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Phoenix debatably has the best preforming economy in the US right now. There’s no trash to talk.
Not even close. According to this, it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Keep in mind, this was before the Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not even close. According to this, it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Keep in mind, this was before the Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm
It has one of the highest job growth rate too.

https://www.realpage.com/analytics/c...th-april-2019/

Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area is already over 10 million, the OMB just hasnt caught up yet.

Im fairly certain the Bay Area CSA will be adding Salinas(Monterey County) sooner than later. Neighboring Santa Cruz is already part of the Bay Area, so is San Benito, and now so is Merced.

Monterey County is currently working on a commuter rail to the Bay Area to alleviate the horrendously terrible traffic which requires going over a mountain pass that actually snows from time to time!

my pic
Nice shot. I remember that road well from my younger years growing up in Los Gatos. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It has one of the highest job growth rate too.

https://www.realpage.com/analytics/c...th-april-2019/
High job growth, yet higher than average unemployment. Wonder if that means a lot of people are moving to Phoenix without jobs lined up.

But then again, if that was the case, why does cities like Austin, Dallas, SF Bay Area, Atlanta, etc have low unemployment rates with high job growth?

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's only been over the past 4 years or so. DC MSA at the beginning of the decade added more people than Atlanta MSA did for a couple of years, around 2012-2014 they added around the same amount of people. Towards 2016 and beyond is when DC's dropped more due to less int'l migrants. That trend would have to continue for well over a decade every year until Atlanta MSA catches it. Let's also remember the square milage difference in both MSA's. I welcome the growth in metro Atlanta, hopefully it has an affect on that state politically.
Historically Atlanta has grown more and I feel the early 2010s growth in DC was just a recession bump, a recession that hit Atlanta especially hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Harris County losing Dometics already? Surprises me

We like to talk Smack about Atlanta and Phoenix etc on this website. But they are Showing out with these numbers
Really shouldn't be because since 1992, Harris County has had positive domestic growth only 7 times and 5 of those after 2010.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 PM

129 posts, read 111,368 times
I'm surprised at that unemployment rate for Phoenix. Seems strange considering the phenomenal job and population growth. Like some numbers haven't caught up.

I know it's growing in finance, insurance, healthcare, and tech.

Forbes article on Phoenix growth:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendar.../#7496b1f4443e

Recent article shows Phoenix as #6 in the top 10 cities for tech job growth.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/3/...gital-services

Metro areas with the biggest change in tech job share, 2010-2018

1. San Fransisco
2. San Jose
3. Austin
4. Seattle
5. Denver
6. Phoenix
7. Charlotte
8. Dallas
9. Madison
10. Provo

Last edited by theTelecommuter; 03-26-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Historically Atlanta has grown more and I feel the early 2010s growth in DC was just a recession bump, a recession that hit Atlanta especially hard.

Really shouldn't be because since 1992, Harris County has had positive domestic growth only 7 times and 5 of those after 2010.
Yea I fully expect Atlanta to keep moving up the ranks by MSA. We'll see where it ends up.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Did you calculate these CSAs or are they listed somewhere? I'd like to see this beyond the top 25.
I pulled them from the spreadsheet under annual population estimates for CSA's.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...cal-areas.html

Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 31,680 times
Now that we approaching the decennial census I don't see any reason why these metro areas need to continue being separate:

San Francisco, San Jose, and Vallejo
Atlanta and Gainsville
Raleigh and Durham
Greensboro and Winston-Salem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City