Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most distinguishable at street level
Chicago 7 5.51%
Philadelphia 12 9.45%
New York 28 22.05%
Phoenix 3 2.36%
Las Vegas 12 9.45%
Los Angeles 4 3.15%
San Diego 0 0%
Miami 7 5.51%
Houston 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.57%
Dallas 0 0%
New Orleans 16 12.60%
Memphis 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
Washington D.C. 11 8.66%
Baltimore 2 1.57%
Seattle 3 2.36%
Other 20 15.75%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:18 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
I actually have to vote San Francisco. When you think Bout it, no other city is that distinguishable from the crowd
After Boston IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 02:21 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The set-up and design of Chicago's Lincoln Park is a masterpiece. The tree canopy, the mix of residential materials, diverse architecture. Even the new builds blend seamlessly into the original homes on the early 20th century. You're right in the city, but to some degree, it feels like you're in a near suburb or this utopian city neighborhood far from the loop. The grid is interrupted nicely by NW/SW arteries that carry much of the commercial activity, but seemingly don't interrupt the uniformity of the residential neighborhood. Add to it the parks and the beaches, the bars and the restaurants. The street festivals in the summer. Live blues and theatres dispersed across the neighborhood. The only real issue is that one train line serves the entire neighborhood, which is more than 1.5 miles wide east to west. So if you live on the waterfront, it's a mile walk to the nearest brown line stop that splits Sheffield and Bissel.

A bit off topic, but Lincoln Park has to be one of the few nicest American neighborhoods in any city.
Sure looks it.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Quote:
The answer is no, I don't think so, though I'm not sure folks unfamiliar with Boston would associate it with Boston explicitly. Probably the broader Northeast.

I do like the redone triple deckers that have really started to boom post-recession. But in general, it's not my favorite residential architecture. Just reminds me of depressing Boston movies.
Well, I don't know as though its anyone's favorite residential architecture but it sure is distinctive. And while many other cities have triple deckers, even some in places like Newark and Yonkers, the Boston versions are unmistakable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston wins hand down for triple decker architecture. I don’t see any other form of architecture as unique in a major city. Add to that the ungridded streets and it’s not even close. Maybe some of the NOLA shotgun houses.
Yep. Like this row on a hilly, winding street in Dorchester. A good coat of paint brightens things up but you have to strip off the vinyl siding (or not put it on in the first place.) Some of them are really exceptional. I like the front-end gable variety too.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Well, I don't know as though its anyone's favorite residential architecture but it sure is distinctive. And while many other cities have triple deckers, even some in places like Newark and Yonkers, the Boston versions are unmistakable.

Yep. Like this row on a hilly, winding street in Dorchester. A good coat of paint brightens things up but you have to strip off the vinyl siding (or not put it on in the first place.) Some of them are really exceptional. I like the front-end gable variety too.
Newark and Yonkers and some other New England cities have some but the only cities that approach Boston frequency are Worcester and Lawrence both in MA. Maybe Providene. The yo kers and Newark styles are mlre stripped down and narrower like Roxbury triple deckers but they don’t line the streets.

Many many cities have row homes and terraced housing (Philly), many many cities are hilly (San Fran)only a handful in the world have Triple Deckers-and only Boston is known for them.

So to me to say Boston isn’t the most unique just means to me you unfamiliar with Boston. Or you haven’t been to it’s triple decker heavy neighborhoods outside of tourists areas.

https://goo.gl/maps/3sFqB5uaF3DJpgRVA

https://goo.gl/maps/ZoARD6nVjR3AtLW5A

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2720...uaSRV1c3iA!2e0

https://goo.gl/maps/VMaMZUyH5GUw7Meu5

One of my favorites classic Roxbury triple deckers... https://goo.gl/maps/3cGx94GU52SttmcVA

https://goo.gl/maps/XknBodo7ywfVjwLA9

Old 03-27-2020, 03:52 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
After Boston IMO
No way man. People outside of Boston don't even adventure into neighborhoods that have the triple deckers. There is no association with them, at all.

I think SF wins by a wide margin as compared to any other large city.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No way man. People outside of Boston don't even adventure into neighborhoods that have the triple deckers. There is no association with them, at all.

I think SF wins by a wide margin as compared to any other large city.
Exactly. If you were in a regular Bostonian triple decker neighborhood there’s no where else you could be.

Are we talking about perception or reality? This matter a lot because The perception might not be Boston because people just look at beacon hill and back bay and think “old east coast” but the reality is undoubtedly Boston. Because none for he images I showed could be anywhere BUT Boston... address that fact.

You’re talking about association-I’m not at all. I’m talking about what the question asks what most distinguishable in the street. It would be San Fran or Boston but to me Boston wins simply because that architectural style is very very globally unique let alone nationally. It’s the definition of distinguishable.

If posters don’t recognize it then that’s on them-not the city. Also every Boston movie features a ton of triple deckers specifically because they’re unique to Boston.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly. If you were in a regular Bostonian triple decker neighborhood there’s no where else you could be.

Are we talking about perception or reality? This matter a lot because The perception might not be Boston because people just look at beacon hill and back bay and think “old east coast” but the reality is undoubtedly Boston. Because none for he images j showed could be anywhere BUT Boston... address that fact.
You're missing the point.

It's about, to the common person, what is the most distinguishable city. The everyday American doesn't know a damn thing about Boston triple deckers. They do know about San Francisco's hills, and palm trees, and colorful residential builds.

So, sure, triple deckers may not be prevalent in other cities like they are in some of Boston's neighborhoods. But most people don't know that.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You're missing the point.

It's about, to the common person, what is the most distinguishable city. The everyday American doesn't know a damn thing about Boston triple deckers. They do know about San Francisco's hills, and palm trees, and colorful residential builds.

So, sure, triple deckers may not be prevalent in other cities like they are in some of Boston's neighborhoods. But most people don't know that.
Bro. I’m not talking about Perception or familiarity. That’s not what the question was worded as. I literally said if you don’t think Boston is the most distinguishable that’s because of unfamiliarity..several posts ago. . I don’t really see the use in talking about the most ignorant person imaginable when all of us here are not those people or at least strive not to be

I’m coming at the question like if I dropped you on the street would you know are or at least where you aren’t. Many many people know about Boston triple deckers-they’re all over Hollywood. I hear the argument at San Francisco but you can also find that architecture palm trees and colorful builds around the bay and to a lesser extent in California in general and other Mediterranean/tropical climates.

I think SF is very unique but architecturally Boston triple decker is pretty much a lock, add in the snow the winding roads and stone walls and it’s very unique especially compared to other northeastern cold climate cities.

If Boston isn’t #1 (which I said was my opinion), it would have to be #2 or at worst #4 behind NOLA or NYC

Old 03-27-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Bro. I’m not talking about Perception or familiarity. That’s not what the question was worded as. I literally said if you don’t think Boston is the most distinguishable that’s because of unfamiliarity..several posts ago. . I don’t really see the use in talking about the most ignorant person imaginable when all of us here are not those people or at least strive not to be

I’m coming at the question like if I dropped you on the street would you know are or at least where you aren’t. Many many people know about Boston triple deckers-they’re all over Hollywood. I hear the argument at San Francisco but you can also find that architecture palm trees and colorful builds around the bay and to a lesser extent in California in general and other Mediterranean/tropical climates.

I think SF is very unique but architecturally Boston triple decker is pretty much a lock, add in the snow the winding roads and stone walls and it’s very unique especially compared to other northeastern cold climate cities.

If Boston isn’t #1 (which I said was my opinion), it would have to be #2 or at worst #4 behind NOLA or NYC
I know what you're saying. Boston is the answer because no other city has triple decker neighborhoods. I get it.

So to you, and others familiar with Boston, it's a valid answer.

My point is that, to most, it's not. That's all. So, I perceive the original question to be targeted towards the masses. Probably why Boston wasn't even in the poll.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:31 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
I would’ve chose San Francisco.

Chose DC from the list.

I’d say:

1.) San Francisco
2) DC
3.) NYC
4.) Las Vegas
5.) Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City