Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 11:14 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Using the 13 sq. mile test:

Vancouver Neighborhoods

North: Westend
South: South Cambie
East: Grandview-Woodland
West: Arbutus-Ridge

Using the 13 sq. mile test:

DC Neighborhoods

North: Columbia Heights
South: Navy Yard
West: Foggy Bottom
East: H Street/Atlas District

Based on this apples to apples comparison, Vancouver doesn’t come close to the urban footprint of DC when placed in scale.
What's the 13 square mile test?

Also, I think Vancouver and DC both have a hard time being in top 7 for North America, no? Maybe top ten, but almost certainly not top 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 11:15 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think we can all objectively agree that Seattle and Philadelphia are still on two different scales, although certainly Seattle is catching up quickly.

Philadelphia by all objective measures meets the threshold of one of the most impressive cores in North America based on structural and population density over a large area, and this extends outside of the traditional Center City boundaries.

Anyone also following recent development patterns in the city would note that 4-10 story "midrise" projects are absolutely being proposed and constructed in neighborhoods across the city, far outside of Center City, particularly along major commercial corridors.

Two- or three-story developments now tend to be the exception, rather than the rule for Philadelphia moving forward.
Here is a 13 sq. mile urban core area for Philadelphia and Boston.

Boston Neighborhoods:

North: North End
South: Dorchester
East: Mission Hill
West: City Point

Philadelphia Neighborhoods:

North: Yorktown
South: Lower Moyamensing
East: Penn’s Landing
West: University City

Old 03-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's the 13 square mile test?

Also, I think Vancouver and DC both have a hard time being in top 7 for North America, no? Maybe top ten, but almost certainly not top 7.

It’s an attempt to add facts to a debate that has been subjective for the past three days. I was discussing this with another poster trying to get an apples to apples comparison based on facts and real neighborhoods covering an actual footprint that can be measured versus what people have been doing. This was the post:

Quote:
A good comparison would be to draw an equal distance and compare the development and vibrancy in that area. What would a 13 sq. mile area over Seattle proper look like compared to a 13 sq. mile area over DC/Philly/Boston? For continuity, the entire area has to be in city proper. Actually, this is probably a good comparison for all these cities mentioned.

For DC, that would run from Columbia Heights to the north, Buzzard Point/Navy Yard to the south, Foggy Bottom to the West, and H Street/Atlas District to the east.

What neighborhoods would that distance cover N/S/E/W for Seattle? Google maps has a measure distance tool that will allow you to get a 3.6 mile x 3.6 mile measurement so you know which neighborhoods are covered over that distance.

Then we can do the same for Boston and Philly.
I’m not sure whether DC and Vancouver should be included, but we need to use the same measurements for the cities to see exactly what is covered over the same distance and what isn’t. You can’t eyeball distance for an urban core, we have to actually measure. I bet most people would be shocked when cities are held up to each other apples to apples.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
These cities are designed differently so your testing criteria isn't fair.

For Vancouver try:
North Vancouver
Kitsilano
Brentwood Town Centre
Metrotown Centre

Edit: And I willl add Mount Pleasant as well.
How would you use North Vancouver when you have a massive body of water separating it from the rest of the city. People can’t walk across a harbor. An urban core is cohesive, Vancouver Harbor is massive so how do you justify that?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Yes but on the flip side DC has nothing that competes with Vancouver's densest most urban areas on the peninsula.

https://i.imgur.com/PbInKHS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BqcosIo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PRdlmOd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QnkCtYa.jpg
Those are simply high rise clusters, like Miami etc. It doesn't compare to the urbanity of a DC from the street level.

Vancouver looks a lot like Arlington, VA across the river from DC. Both in it's high rise residential areas, and it's back street residential neighborhoods. Neither have the urban street front for an extended stretch uninterrupted beyond a few blocks to compare to DC, Bos, or Philly etc. Vancouver's an impressive skyline of high rises however.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
How would you use North Vancouver when you have a massive body of water separating it from the rest of the city. People can’t walk across a harbor. An urban core is cohesive, Vancouver Harbor is massive so how do you justify that?
North Vancouver looks like a DC suburb:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3210...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-29-2020, 11:34 AM

257 posts, read 167,323 times
Quote:
Nothing about the neighbourhoods you've cited for DC scream "cohesive".

The urban core of Vancouver on the peninsula is significantly more built up and dense than in DC, and outside of the urban core you still have strong pockets of urbanity in the areas I mentioned.

North Vancouver is tightly integrated with downtown, with bus and seabus service and countless daily commuters and residents interacting on both sides of the straight.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:

The urban core of Vancouver on the peninsula is significantly more built up and dense than in DC, and outside of the urban core you still have strong pockets of urbanity in the areas I mentioned.

North Vancouver is tightly integrated with downtown, with bus and seabus service and countless daily commuters and residents interacting on both sides of the straight.
You're describing Arlington, VA.

North Vancouver

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3210...7i16384!8i8192

Silver Spring, MD

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9926...7i16384!8i8192

Neither are a part of their cities downtown core extension, they are independent and separated from them. Although Silver Spring is more directly connected as you can walk, take bike lanes, or Metro only a few stops without crossing water.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I don’t think you understand what I mean by cohesive. Cohesive means unobstructed. Brooklyn can’t be included in the core of NYC with Manhattan. They are separated by a huge river. You can’t walk outside your house to downtown Vancouver from North Vancouver. You can’t even swim it. Vancouver harbor is 1.48 miles wide from dock to dock. What is your explanation for that 1.48 mile distance of water?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:42 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
A good comparison would be to draw an equal distance and compare the development and vibrancy in that area. What would a 13 sq. mile area over Seattle proper look like compared to a 13 sq. mile area over DC/Philly/Boston? For continuity, the entire area has to be in city proper. Actually, this is probably a good comparison for all these cities mentioned.

For DC, that would run from Columbia Heights to the north, Buzzard Point/Navy Yard to the south, Foggy Bottom to the West, and H Street/Atlas District to the east.

What neighborhoods would that distance cover N/S/E/W for Seattle? Google maps has a measure distance tool that will allow you to get a 3.6 mile x 3.6 mile measurement so you know which neighborhoods are covered over that distance.

Then we can do the same for Boston and Philly.
Seattle wouldn't be on their level in 13 square miles. But it gets close at 5, or the 4.5-sm area I find useful due to tract boundaries. Outside of that, single-family becomes predominant.

Outside the core, urbanity is in nodes and corridors around town due to our "urban village" growth concept, but that's collectively 15% of the city, going on 20% due to recent upzones, with SFRs more like 65% going on 60%.

As for city limits, you're being unfair to Boston. Much of Cambridge is part of the urban core. Administrative boundaries aren't relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City