Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 02:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's just not true. I specifically am talking about the urban center of each city. Therefore, I'm talking about the Vancouver peninsula, Gastown/Chinatown/other neighborhoods immediately east of downtown, and some of the neighborhoods just south of downtown. I'm not talking about SFH neighborhoods within the city of Vancouver. DC is not as urban.
Vancouver’s urban core can fit inside of downtown DC. They aren’t even compatible. If you want to say there are parts of Vancouver that are more intensely developed than DC, that’s fine. But DC’s urban core is so vast and larger than Vancouver’s this isn’t even a fair comparison. We have been talking about using a 22.83 sq. mile footprint. DC doesn’t even go into single family homes across 22.83 square miles. Infact, DC still has 6-8 story highries mixed in throughout a 22.83 sq. mile footprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Vancouver’s urban core can fit inside of downtown DC. They aren’t even compatible. If you want to say there are parts of Vancouver that are more intensely developed than DC, that’s fine. But DC’s urban core is so vast and larger than Vancouver’s this isn’t even a fair comparison. We have been talking about using a 22.83 sq. mile footprint. DC doesn’t even go into single family homes across 22.83 square miles. Infact, DC still has 6-8 story highries mixed in throughout a 22.83 sq. mile footprint.
Well, you and I have just started talking about a footprint of that size. I’m open to a 10 square kilometer one.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ One of the best skylines especially outside of the US on the continent, but the urban core of Panama City is actually tiny. Santo Domingo crushes Panama City in it's core in terms of being expansive, and too has a subway system. Santo Domingo alone is 3 million and about 3/4 the entire population of Panama. Panama City is prettier however, and I'd rather live there.

^Same applies with Port Au Prince vs Panama City too.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycwr...ture=emb_title

Old 03-29-2020, 02:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, but (IMO) Vancouver is higher quality in its most urban zones compared to DC in its most urban zones. It's not like Vancouver is just a few small blocks. It's still pretty large.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Quote:
Yep those look pretty urban alright. I also just looked at a map and the more recent population numbers for Panama City. It looks like Panama City includes a huge amount of natural reserve in its city boundaries as well as very densely populated enclave (San Miguelito) so its population density is actually really high. The 2019 estimate numbers for Panama City also went up to about 1,183,333 and ostensibly all within its most developed portions, so yea, probably a good contender, maybe a shoe-in.

Have you been there before?

Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep those look pretty urban alright. I also just looked at a map and the more recent population numbers for Panama City. It looks like Panama City includes a huge amount of natural reserve in its city boundaries as well as very densely populated enclave (San Miguelito) so its population density is actually really high. The 2019 estimate numbers for Panama City also went up to about 1,183,333 and ostensibly all within its most developed portions, so yea, probably a good contender, maybe a shoe-in.

here good info about the city very similar to Miami the Panama Canal, Foreign Banks, Real Estate, Foreign companies play huge role

https://www.casasolution.com/blog/pa...k-road-growth/

Panama City Is Skyscraper Capital Of Latin America

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...53334120071231

https://markozen.com/2020/03/14/the-...-of-the-2000s/

Old 03-29-2020, 04:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

Again amazing skyline. The urban core of Santo Domingo has more structural density from the ground level however. Panama City is urban in those high rise districts, but it is short lived, and SD is more classically urban in the way it's structured.

Santo Domingo proper is 1 million people in 40+ sq mi. Santo Domingo metro is 3.3 million people in 1000 sq mi.

Santo Domingo is super dense:

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.4730...!7i7680!8i3840

Panama City while urban also is over 100 sq miles and 1 million people.

Again I'd rather live in PC, but there's a difference in how they reach their urbanity.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I've been. It's beautiful. For how full of modern skyscrapers the city is, it's actual still pretty urban and high-quality density. It's not so much like a Miami or something like that. And even though the high rise neighborhoods may not be the absolute best examples of quality urban density, Casco Antiguo and other older neighborhoods are very dense.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's just not true. I specifically am talking about the urban center of each city. Therefore, I'm talking about the Vancouver peninsula, Gastown/Chinatown/other neighborhoods immediately east of downtown, and some of the neighborhoods just south of downtown. I'm not talking about SFH neighborhoods within the city of Vancouver. DC is not as urban.
Those areas are not more urban than DC's most urban areas, they are at best equals, the peak building heights in Vancouver are just taller. The point being made here about Washington DC is how far it's urban core goes outside of it's most urban districts. It radiates out further than what I've seen with regards to Vancouver, as well as Seattle. The street level is what I'm getting at here. The peninsula of Vancouver with the high rises is Miami like, it's lovely and pleasant to look at. It's just that from the ground level, I wouldn't compare it to the likes of Northeast Corridor urbanity you find from DC and northward.

DC is closer to Boston or Philly in urbanity than Vancouver is to those cities. Now if this were Montreal we're talking about that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City