Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 02:28 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

I personally would consider 20k ppsm [very] high density (as a reference, city-data considers a minimum of just 6,000 ppsm to be "high density" for any municipality) for a neighborhood, but ppsm alone doesn't always tell you how urban a place is really. Built environment and walk ability should be taken into consideration. I mean, there are parts of Aurora (far west suburb of Chicago) where a sizable portion of the population live in adjoined tracts of 15-18k ppsm, but I wouldn't say that this two sq mile area is of similar urbanity as Pilsen or a neighborhood in the bungalow belt (southwest and northwest sides) of Chicago. Look at parts of New Orleans. The French Quarter in its densest tract is only 8.3k ppsm (obviously it's not so much of a residential community), but no way you wouldn't consider the built environment among the most urban in the US.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9577...JAYJoWLmkyimgc
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9617...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9566...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 02:35 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
With regards to this thread's OP it's pretty simple once it's broken down.

The top 6 city urban cores of the US are widely regarded as:

NYC
Chicago
SF
Philly/Boston
DC

With LA, Baltimore, and Seattle being regarded as next.

For Canada the four or 5 would be:

Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Vancouver
Quebec City

Mexico:

Ciudad de Mexico (DF)
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Juarez

The rest of the continent:

Santo Domingo
La Habana
Panama City
Port au Prince

Seven seems like a cherry picked number, but if picking 7 instead of 10, the top 4 in the US would make the cut automatically. NYC, Chicago, SF and either Philly or Boston. DC would make the cut for 10 in NA, but fall just outside the top 7.

With that said there's only 3 slots remaining. Obviously Mexico City makes the cut, and my opinion would be Montreal does too. This leaves only one slot left as a toss up outside the US cities between Toronto, Monterrey, Santo Domingo, Havana, as well as either Philly or Boston whichever was left out of top 4 in the US.
One challenging aspect to this exercise is it's difficult to compare the urbanity of cities in developed countries (US and Canada) and the developing world (Mexico and the rest of the continent).

I'm generalizing a relatively diverse group of cities here, but overall cities in North America's developing countries tend to have more consistent urban fabrics in terms of building connectivity, lack of setbacks, a lack of American-style suburban neighborhoods within city limits, and are relatively vibrant in terms of life happening on the street.

But (aside from Panama City) they also lack the height the cities in the US and Canada have, have more dilapidated architecture, have extreme poverty in huge swaths of the city that create more of a shanty-town vibe and lack the proliferation of the type of commerce (certain types of retail, restaurants, bars, etc.) that US and Canadian urban dwellers are used to. In some ways shanty town-esque environments are very urban and vibrant but in other ways they are not. It just makes it very difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons. Compared to Mexico City or Santo Domingo, virtually every American or Canadian city feels sterile.

Also, I don't mean to come off as coarse - I realize that how "urban" a city feels matters very little to people who are living in poverty and dilapidated conditions. And of course that these cities are not as one-dimensional as my description is making them out to be. But this broader distinction is relevant to this exercise and I have a hard time combining my rankings for US/Canadian cities and Mexico/the rest of the continent.

In terms of just the US and Canada, after reconsideration, I'd say my list of most urban cores (which I consider to be downtown and the immediate adjacent areas) my list would go:

1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) Montreal
4) San Francisco
5) Toronto
6) Philadelphia
7) Boston
8) Vancouver
9) DC
10) Baltimore
11) Seattle
12) LA

If we expanded the definition of urban core to include the next set of neighborhoods LA would probably move up the list a bit.

In terms of cities in Mexico and the rest of the continent, I've only been to Mexico City, which is extremely urban and I'm sure is the clear #1, but I don't know enough about the others to rank them.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:50 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So here's an update for a Manhattan-sized core with Panama City:

City | Divisions
Land Area
Population (Year)

New York City | Manhattan
22.83 sq mi
1,628,701 people (2018)

Mexico City | Cuauhtémoc, Benito Juárez
22.81 sq mi | 12.53 + 10.28
917,270 people | 531,831 + 385,439 (2010)

Habana | Plaza de la Revolución, Centro Habana, La Habana Vieja, Regla, Diez de Octubre, Cerro
21.6 sq mi | 5 + 2 + 2 + 3.6 + 5 + 4
821,841 people | 61,631 + 158,151 + 97,984 + 44,431 + 227,293 + 132,351 (2004)

Chicago | Near North Side, Loop, Lake View, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Lincoln Square, North Center, Near South Side
22.7428 sq mi | 2.6948 + 1.555 + 3.12 + 3.097 + 2.319 + 1.721 + 1.845 + 2.555 + 2.044 + 1.792
568,965 people | 89,995 + 37,647 + 100,547 + 68,697 + 58,424 + 57,022 + 54,872 + 41,713 + 35,705 + 24,343 (2018)

Panama City | Bella Vista, Betania, Calidonia, Curundú, El Chorrillo, Parque Lefevre, Pueblo Nuevo, Rio Abajo, San Felipe, San Francisco, Santa Ana; Amelia Denis de Icaza, Belisario Porras, Mateo Iturralde, Victoriano Lorenzo, Belisario Frías
22.2 sq mi | 16.4 + 5.8
471,040 people | 290997 (2016) + 180043 (2018)

Chicago | Near North Side, Loop, Near South Side, Lake View, Lincoln Park, West Town, Near West Side
22.72 sq mi | 2.72 + 1.58 + 1.75 + 3.16 + 3.19 + 4.57 + 5.75
463,947 people | 88,893 + 35,880 + 23,620 + 100,470 + 67,710 + 84,502 + 62,872 (2017)

Also, in case anyone is looking to do so, here are some some potential avenues for making ~22-23 square mile areas contiguous with the CBD for other cities:

Santo Domingo - Sectores
Montreal - Boroughs potentially along with villes that were demerged out in 2006 but are enclaves/contiguous
Toronto - City-designated neighborhoods
Vancouver - Official Neighborhoods
Philadelphia - Planning Analysis Sections

Other cities that might be decent top 7 contenders are Guadalajara, Monterrey, Port-au-Prince, San Francisco, Boston, DC, and Los Angeles. I think New York City, Mexico City, Havana, Chicago, and Santo Domingo are essentially shoe-ins. I haven't run more granular stats on Santo Domingo, but just how densely the city as a whole is built out and its function as a national capital makes it pretty likely.
I'm really curious in Philly but don't have the time to calculate it.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I personally would consider 20k ppsm [very] high density (as a reference, city-data considers a minimum of just 6,000 ppsm to be "high density" for any municipality) for a neighborhood, but ppsm alone doesn't always tell you how urban a place is really. Built environment and walk ability should be taken into consideration. I mean, there are parts of Aurora (far west suburb of Chicago) where a sizable portion of the population live in adjoined tracts of 15-18k ppsm, but I wouldn't say that this two sq mile area is of similar urbanity as Pilsen or a neighborhood in the bungalow belt (southwest and northwest sides) of Chicago. Look at parts of New Orleans. The French Quarter in its densest tract is only 8.3k ppsm (obviously it's not so much of a residential community), but no way you wouldn't consider the built environment among the most urban in the US.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9577...JAYJoWLmkyimgc
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9617...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9566...7i16384!8i8192
Yeah, totally agree. Definitely been to many places in the world that feel less or more dense than their statistics led on. There's a ton of factors in this starting with the actual makeup of the built environment to how many people are out and about. It's hard to tell who walking around or at restaurants and what not is actually from there as a resident and who is not. My in laws' area in the outskirts of Shanghai is probably around 20,000 ppsm, but it feels less dense because there's a bunch of gardens and zen ponds in the middle of all the high rises. The high rises have space in between them - not 1 or 2 feet but like 30 feet. It feels much more suburban than the statistical 20K ppsm it is.

In another post I compared Gold Coast in Chicago to some places in Toronto. The densities are similar to Astoria in Queens. Gold Coast definitely feels denser because the built environment is full of way more high rises than Astoria. There's way more hotels too, so there's that factor too. The resident population might be 37K people, but counting the hotels, the average population of who is "living" there on any given day is probably more like 50K people (which would push the density up to around 85K ppsm). Astoria doesn't have many hotels or anything like that. There are way less tourists there staying there or just walking around. So statistically they're similar but I think Gold Coast feels denser due to other factors.

I think population is the beginning of the conversation, but there's definitely more factors into how dense or urban some place is.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:11 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
One challenging aspect to this exercise is it's difficult to compare the urbanity of cities in developed countries (US and Canada) and the developing world (Mexico and the rest of the continent).

I'm generalizing a relatively diverse group of cities here, but overall cities in North America's developing countries tend to have more consistent urban fabrics in terms of building connectivity, lack of setbacks, a lack of American-style suburban neighborhoods within city limits, and are relatively vibrant in terms of life happening on the street.

But (aside from Panama City) they also lack the height the cities in the US and Canada have, have more dilapidated architecture, have extreme poverty in huge swaths of the city that create more of a shanty-town vibe and lack the proliferation of the type of commerce (certain types of retail, restaurants, bars, etc.) that US and Canadian urban dwellers are used to. In some ways shanty town-esque environments are very urban and vibrant but in other ways they are not. It just makes it very difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons. Compared to Mexico City or Santo Domingo, virtually every American or Canadian city feels sterile.

Also, I don't mean to come off as coarse - I realize that how "urban" a city feels matters very little to people who are living in poverty and dilapidated conditions. And of course that these cities are not as one-dimensional as my description is making them out to be. But this broader distinction is relevant to this exercise and I have a hard time combining my rankings for US/Canadian cities and Mexico/the rest of the continent.

In terms of just the US and Canada, after reconsideration, I'd say my list of most urban cores (which I consider to be downtown and the immediate adjacent areas) my list would go:

1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) Montreal
4) San Francisco
5) Toronto
6) Philadelphia
7) Boston
8) Vancouver
9) DC
10) Baltimore
11) Seattle
12) LA

If we expanded the definition of urban core to include the next set of neighborhoods LA would probably move up the list a bit.

In terms of cities in Mexico and the rest of the continent, I've only been to Mexico City, which is extremely urban and I'm sure is the clear #1, but I don't know enough about the others to rank them.
I understand where you're coming from, but in terms of large cities, it's really only Port-au-Prince in Haiti that's both a contender and incredibly rundown and impoverished. One of the attributes of many developing countries is that there will be regions that do much better than others and those are often the capital cities. For example, using the formula for Human Development Index is a pretty common way to see how "developed" a country is. Sometimes that formula is put to subnational entities, and in the case of Santo Domingo and its surrounding province, that area definitely scores higher than the country as a whole.

I also think one thing I'd argue is the US does have some cities where parts of the urban core do actually look quite rundown and are statistically not all that safe.

I do think opening this up to all of North America does make it more interesting as there's been quite a few purely US and Canadian city matchups and rankings.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-02-2020 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 03:39 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I don't see how Baltimore could possibly rate above Seattle....substantially lower population density within city limits (7,500 to 8,900), much smaller downtown, much lower transit commute share (16% to 23%), much lower walk commute share (6% to 12%)...

It seems to be about the feel of a townhouse city vs. a house and apartment city.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I don't see how Baltimore could possibly rate above Seattle....substantially lower population density within city limits (7,500 to 8,900), much smaller downtown, much lower transit commute share (16% to 23%), much lower walk commute share (6% to 12%)...

It seems to be about the feel of a townhouse city vs. a house and apartment city.
I thought long and hard about that one and ultimately I think you could flip those 2 - the thing that swayed me to Baltimore is that the inner neighborhoods are actually very urban - moreso than Downtown Baltimore in some ways - and so that gave it the edge. This comparison again gets to the core of what you mean by “urban” and on a different day I might put Seattle above Baltimore.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

Greater structural density, more industrial areas especially amongst residential areas that give ya the traditional city feel. Classical downtown, lots of businesses open very late, more consistent residential density throughout a larger area

Old 04-02-2020, 04:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:

Much like a lot of these posts seem to put too much focus on "population density" when all it takes is one or two massive residential towers to skew numbers dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Greater structural density, more industrial areas especially amongst residential areas that give ya the traditional city feel. Classical downtown, lots of businesses open very late, more consistent residential density throughout a larger area
This.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:00 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm really curious in Philly but don't have the time to calculate it.
I tried looking for Philadelphia planning districts, but nothing's loading up for me: https://www.opendataphilly.org/datas...2-b84beda39aa5

I'm guessing that were that working, it'd yield stats for these districts: https://www.opendataphilly.org/datas...2-b84beda39aa5

Obviously, Philadelphia would have to include Center City (the Central district), but then on from there it's probably South, University Southwest, and maybe Lower North unless all of that's too big. If you run into a source that does clean divisions and is in the max dozens rather than hundreds of divisions (i.e. census tracts), let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City