Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 800,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ah, that is what depletes downtown from the highrises number. There are a cluster of them in Clayton. I see.

That does St Louis downtown no favors! lol
The “edge cities” are always a debatable point. I’m a bit older and grew up in Atlanta, so I always recall the debates about if Midtown “counted” when the 825’ IBM tower (One Atlantic Center) went up, and then the debate about Atlanta’s “second Downtown” of Buckhead counting, and heaven forbid the more suburban Sandy Springs/Dunwoody “Perimiter” counting with the two 500’+ King and Queen Concourse Towers and the 444’ Ravinia tower, and not forgetting the growing Galleria center over in Vinings/Smyrna. I guess I’m a bit “sensitive” so I say spread the love around a metro. Love me some tall towers! Ha ha ha...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 06:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,722,115 times
Austin will become #1 with ease

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM

9,695 posts, read 9,438,244 times
Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville are leaving this segment behind in terms of volume (with Denver being the exception). The 2020s will include clear skyline separations from peers not building new skyscrapers.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,662,648 times
I would posit that St. Louis probably has more highrises than most of these cities, although the majority are shorter than 300 ft. Any flyover of the city’s central corridor would support this suggestion.

Last edited by STLgasm; 04-05-2020 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-05-2020, 07:18 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Austin will become #1 with ease
Austin is truly on a tear and what makes it so different is that its economy is significantly driven by tech, a sector with a largely suburban presence, but is experiencing a huge boom in highrise construction with most of them being entirely residential or mixed use with a sizable residential/hospitality portion. That gives the skyline a bit of a Miami/San Diego/Vancouver flavor which is pretty unique for an inland city, much less one in Texas on the edge of the Southwest.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 PM

730 posts, read 499,072 times
Quote:
Skyscrapers over 300 feet high. I may be using "high rises" interchangeably here, and that may be incorrect.

For my purposes I am using the term "skyscrapers" for those buildings that are over 300 feet.

Since the term "high rises" are over 100 feet or so, it seems.
Ok thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,200,196 times
Quote:
12. St Louis: 2.805 million
Skyscrapers: 14
(under construction 2)
Including Clayton gives St. Louis 5 more skyscrapers of at least 300ft or more. Clayton actually just got its most recent skyscraper this year, Centene Plaza II at 419ft. That's taller than both skyscrapers currently under construction in the city proper.

Quote:
*St Louis has a surprisingly low high rise count, for such a 100 year "big city" status and metro area
Quote:
Ah, that is what depletes downtown from the highrises number. There are a cluster of them in Clayton. I see.

That does St Louis downtown no favors! lol
St. Louis has always been more midrise oriented. The idea, whether enforced by law or not, that nothing should be taller than the Arch didn't help either.

That being said, St. Louis, like Baltimore, is an independent city without a county of its own. Clayton, however, is the county seat of St. Louis County, and it offered an attractive place in the last few decades for businesses to open in lieu of downtown St. Louis. The balkanized nature of metro St. Louis meant that the county, with 3x the population and more resources, would actively fight the city for jobs. This article sums up the current relationship pretty well, even though it's going on four years old. What is out of date with it though is that the PwC Pennant Building opened in downtown, making it the newest office building in downtown. It doesn't meet the height requirements for this thread though, but One Cardinal Way in downtown is one of the current projects under construction that does.

Clayton isn't some far flung suburb either. City hall to city hall, the two downtowns are nine miles away from each other by car. This picture and this picture puts it into perspective. That's Forest Park, in St. Louis, that's offering the sea of trees between the two cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The Arch is included in that figure if I'm not mistaken.

"Giving" St. Louis, Clayton would be like "giving" Baltimore, Towson which has 2 +300' buildings.
Might as well do it for everyone. Why include the metro populations if this ends up being about city specific skyscrapers?

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 04-05-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-05-2020, 09:32 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,501,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville are leaving this segment behind in terms of volume (with Denver being the exception). The 2020s will include clear skyline separations from peers not building new skyscrapers.
Yeah, agreed.

All 3 metro areas will be leapfrogging the other cities in this segment behind--except Denver.

With Vegas, although it has the highest skyscraper count in this population segment, I don't really count it, since the skyscrapers are on the strip and not *truly* a downtown/midtown area. The Vegas downtown is completely underwhelming, skyscraper-wise.
It is smaller than Albuquerque's downtown.

But by 2025 or so, Nashville and Austin downtowns will be unrecognizable in certain spots with all the new construction. Charlotte is adding great height and density to an already vibrant and dense downtown.

Exciting to see the progress!

Old 04-05-2020, 10:41 PM

3,557 posts, read 2,352,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I would posit that St. Louis probably has more highrises than most of these cities, although the majority are shorter than 300 ft. Any flyover of the city’s central corridor would support this suggestion.
If we used official fire-code definition of high-rises (115' or 7 stories) Baltimore, Pittsburgh & St. Louis all individually have well over +200 buildings lol

Last edited by Joakim3; 04-05-2020 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-05-2020, 11:37 PM

8,887 posts, read 6,912,846 times
Per a quick look, highrise code is >75' from the lowest surrounding access point to the ceiling of the highest occupied floor, or something like that.

Generally an eight-story apartment or six-story office will be a highrise, though you can technically cram a six-story office into 75' with the right structural type etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City