Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,936,780 times

Advertisements

San Jose has the most high rise/multi story buildings in its 1st street corridor, more than St. Louis and Detroit. The city's skyline goes all the way to Alviso, the bay, 10 miles north of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,188,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Louis is a little different then an Austin or Charlotte type of city. There is clearly more density and a larger urban footprint in St. Louis.
Clayton would easily be in the city proper if it was in Charlotte. Out side of the highrise clusters, there isn't much to indicate a big city. It is just a totally different layout. Anyway, I like big buildings just as well as I do row houses and 8 to 10 story condo buildings. Driving along the i64 in St. Louis gives a much larger vibe than what you would find in Charlotte.
Honestly, I think it is just a matter of time before St. Louis has a high rise boom. With a dwindling number of large buildings left to rehab, I think we will see a major infill boom. It's kind of already starting with projects like One Cardinal Way and 100. I don't think most people outside of St. Louis realize how many mid-rise buildings St. Louis has. St. Louis was a very dense and tightly packed city at it's peak. It has taken nearly two decades of rehabilitation and only now we are seeing a considerable amount of infill development in the urban core. Sadly, right before a potential great depression.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,003,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Honestly, I think it is just a matter of time before St. Louis has a high rise boom. With a dwindling number of large buildings left to rehab, I think we will see a major infill boom. It's kind of already starting with projects like One Cardinal Way and 100. I don't think most people outside of St. Louis realize how many mid-rise buildings St. Louis has. St. Louis was a very dense and tightly packed city at it's peak. It has taken nearly two decades of rehabilitation and only now we are seeing a considerable amount of infill development in the urban core. Sadly, right before a potential great depression.
I read somewhere that 2021 was supposed to be a year of a lot of new projects placed on the boards. I hope I am wrong but the convention business is going to really hurt for a while. Many industries are going virtual with their meetings. That will hit the hotel business not only in St. Louis but all over. Hopefully the appeal of St. Louis as a regional getaway may help fill some of the vacant rooms. I also know many are looking to work from home now it is cheaper for businesses, it's better for families I think giving more flexibility. The may reduce the demand for office space. Retail brick and mortar as we know is done.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM

9,706 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose has the most high rise/multi story buildings in its 1st street corridor, more than St. Louis and Detroit. The city's skyline goes all the way to Alviso, the bay, 10 miles north of downtown.
That is interesting. There are a number of cities with more multi story buildings than St. Louis. I think it boils down to demand. If a city is stagnant or has underlying systemic issues, it can really have a negative impact on the city's growth.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,664,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That is interesting. There are a number of cities with more multi story buildings than St. Louis. I think it boils down to demand. If a city is stagnant or has underlying systemic issues, it can really have a negative impact on the city's growth.
Yawn. St. Louis has more urban flavor than 90% of the “hip” up and comers we keep hearing about. When the building boom comes to a screeching halt, which it will everywhere, cities like St. Louis will have an advantage because their built environment isn’t dependent on all new construction.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:33 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,420,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Yawn. St. Louis has more urban flavor than 90% of the “hip” up and comers we keep hearing about. When the building boom comes to a screeching halt, which it will everywhere, cities like St. Louis will have an advantage because their built environment isn’t dependent on all new construction.

Nobody moves to Austin or Nashville for "built environment ". I'm not sure I've even heard the term outside of city-data.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:40 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,664,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Nobody moves to Austin or Nashville for "built environment ". I'm not sure I've even heard the term outside of city-data.
You’re right. Most people just follow the crowds.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,215,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Multistory, yes. High rise, no.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,003,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You obviously know nothing about St Louis.

There has been a lot of money put into the central corridor that you probably would never see based upon what I've read about your posts of St. Louis. You are really missing out on a great city.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:34 PM

9,706 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I agree. Both cities are rising up. Austin already looks larger than some cities much larger. The tech jobs and cool environment are attractive to young people. Nashville has the most office construction going on of the largest metro areas.

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...ntown-corridor

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...ice-tower.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City