Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 11:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,139,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Both cities are rising up. Austin already looks larger than some cities much larger. The tech jobs and cool environment are attractive to young people. Nashville has the most office construction going on of the largest metro areas.

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...ntown-corridor

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...ice-tower.html
Sadly, Austin keeps sacrificing older establishments that put Austin on the map for this manufactured "cooler" environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 10:30 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sadly, Austin keeps sacrificing older establishments that put Austin on the map for this manufactured "cooler" environment.
I would crown Austin the winner in this category. Nashville is the most improved. Manufactured cool doesn't do it for me and my taste. I have to have an authentic urban environment like you do.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that's been happening just about everywhere that has experienced a construction boom as older lowrise structures (that aren't part of a continuous commercial streetwall) make way for taller, denser developments.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately that's been happening just about everywhere that has experienced a construction boom as older lowrise structures (that aren't part of a continuous commercial streetwall) make way for taller, denser developments.
I don't mind it happening in places like Phoenix that never had a significant downtown stock of buildings during the golden age of building compared to its peers today, nor a chance to rise to its potential in part due to deflation and building shortages that began around the time of the Great Depression and WW2. But it can't all be blamed on that. It had bones, but nothing on the scale of many other larger cities. Unfortunately, during post-war expansion and in part due to the automobile and the city sprawling out, the center of gravity shifted away from downtown as Phoenix grew hard and fast. Sadly, Phoenix allowed much of the older stock of buildings in the core, in addition to adjacent neighborhoods to fall into steep decline and disrepair, and many were razed back in the late 60's, 70's, 80's, and even the 90's. City hall was responsible for many terrible decisions and failed to put policies in place that would penalize large-scale demolitions and condemn land banking. Eventually, Phoenix learned its lesson. Now, Phoenix is truly focused on its core as new developments are literally replacing empty parcels or even blocks for the most part, so rather than a renaissance, it's a rebirth. What surprises me are those cities with greater urban bones that are still tearing down older structures instead of focusing on historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and incorporating these bones into new developments.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:04 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Charlotte, Denver, and Pittsburgh skylines right now....Austin catching up quickly.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
Quote:
This is nonsense as far as downtown Austin in concerned. There are far more live music venues, bars, restaurants than there were even ten years ago, and the vast majority of the older iconic ones survive and thrive: Antone's, the Elephant Room, Esther's Follies, Elysium, The Paramount, etc. Because of strict historic preservation codes and the capital view corridor ordinances, the overwhelming majority of downtown Austin skyscraper construction in the last decade (I would estimate 90% of it or higher) has happened on surface parking lots - hardly displacing older establishments. I can think of only 2 exceptions. In 2007, Las Manitas- a beloved Mexican restaurant was demolished to build a massive JW Marriott hotel, and in 1999, Liberty Lunch was demolished, but that was well before the current skyscraper boom. What you say is truer of the East Side, but not single skyscraper has been built there. You may feel that the skyscrapers in downtown Austin have displaced/sacrificed older establishments, but the facts tell a very different story.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This is nonsense as far as downtown Austin in concerned. There are far more live music venues, bars, restaurants than there were even ten years ago, and the vast majority of the older iconic ones survive and thrive: Antone's, the Elephant Room, Esther's Follies, Elysium, The Paramount, etc. Because of strict historic preservation codes and the capital view corridor ordinances, the overwhelming majority of downtown Austin skyscraper construction in the last decade (I would estimate 90% of it or higher) has happened on surface parking lots - hardly displacing older establishments. I can think of only 2 exceptions. In 2007, Las Manitas- a beloved Mexican restaurant was demolished to build a massive JW Marriott hotel, and in 1999, Liberty Lunch was demolished, but that was well before the current skyscraper boom. What you say is truer of the East Side, but not single skyscraper has been built there. You may feel that the skyscrapers in downtown Austin have displaced/sacrificed older establishments, but the facts tell a very different story.
I know there are still some of them around. I used to frequent Elysium when it was Sanitarium and Planetarium. I also went to the Curfew reunion there a couple years back. However, I certainly don't believe that 90% or more of development over the past decade or two have been built on surface parking lots. It doesn't take long to pull up something even recent: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...3-story-tower/

Perhaps you should take a moment to read this from 2018:
https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-austin-grows/

Some highlights:

"Since 2000, nearly 800 structures tagged for historic significance by city staff have been demolished, according to city data."

"Officials say rapid growth has put pieces of Austin’s history against the ticking clock of redevelopment. City reports show historic preservation in the capital city has long lacked resources and, for years, has lagged behind Texas’ other large cities, which focus on saving historic areas rather than individual landmarks."

"A 2017 audit of the city’s preservation practice showed although Austin had among the smallest preservation staff compared to eight other Texas cities, its caseload was 50 percent higher than average."

"City staff say the heavy caseload is owed to the growing rate of demolition applications for properties in Central and East Austin, where land demand has increased development pressure. A 2017 Community Impact Newspaper analysis showed there were nearly as many demolitions in Central Austin between 2010 and 2017 as there were in the previous 30 years."

"Cara Bertron, one of two case managers in Austin’s preservation office, said limited resources has led to a preservation policy that reacts to the deluge of individual demolition applications rather than proactively works with the community to identify and preserve the city’s historic structures and areas."

"Scott Turner, an infill developer and board member of Evolve Austin, a non profit that advocates for compact and connected development, said amid Austin’s housing crisis, preservation can only work with incentives to develop more units, which he said is missing from the council resolution."

Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
My favorite out of this bunch is Pittsburgh. It has a skyline jammed into a narrow point of land at the river confluence surrounded by green hills with aesthetically nice bridges to complete the whole picture. Most of it seemed to go up from the 60's to the 80's, the PPG Place is one of my favorite skyscrapers in the country with its glass spires, it's a trademark building and instantly recognizable.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
My favorite out of this bunch is Pittsburgh. It has a skyline jammed into a narrow point of land at the river confluence surrounded by green hills with aesthetically nice bridges to complete the whole picture. Most of it seemed to go up from the 60's to the 80's, the PPG Place is one of my favorite skyscrapers in the country with its glass spires, it's a trademark building and instantly recognizable.

Pittsburgh still has a large stock of older buildings though, from the 1880s - 1960. there was a big fire downtown in the 1800s that wiped out most of the really old buildings tho, some that went back to the colonial era.

Here's a pic from 1959. Most of these are still around, just not as noticeable because of taller buildings around them now

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/85/1b/6c/8...0a206a923e.jpg

Old 04-18-2020, 04:35 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Pittsburgh still has a large stock of older buildings though, from the 1880s - 1960. there was a big fire downtown in the 1800s that wiped out most of the really old buildings tho, some that went back to the colonial era.

Here's a pic from 1959. Most of these are still around, just not as noticeable because of taller buildings around them now

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/85/1b/6c/8...0a206a923e.jpg
It gives me Buffalo and vibes. Pittsburgh has a cool collection of buildings.

I'd imagine had Buffalo not busted, it might be in the same tier or better as Pittsburgh.

https://www.wnyheritage.org/content/...t_i/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City