Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 11:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not Amtrak. Something a little more frequent, reliable and scheduled. Extension of the commuter rail..
If you're looking for commuter rail, then there's the future possibility of SLE and MBTA Providence Line meeting up at Westerly or elsewhere, though that'd be a transfer. An extension of the Providence Line to meet up with SLE's terminus at New London would also be neat though I don't think I've ever come across a real proposal for such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 12:53 PM

712 posts, read 542,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're looking for commuter rail, then there's the future possibility of SLE and MBTA Providence Line meeting up at Westerly or elsewhere, though that'd be a transfer. An extension of the Providence Line to meet up with SLE's terminus at New London would also be neat though I don't think I've ever come across a real proposal for such.
I used to think MBTA/SLE meet at Westerly RI is remote, decades away. I think pandemic changes everything. New trends of work from home types leaving NYC/Boston to more rural RI CT MA smaller towns are permanent. The risk of pandemic is not going away for years.

The infrastructure stimulus trillion dollar spending will be coming soon may be later this year, and next year. SLE and MBTA extension at westerly is highly likely.

East West rail between Worcester and Springfield will likely get built too on this new trillion dollar stimulus.

Support for this kind of new built will be very high in CT. I can foresee myself to expand my local job areas into Worcester/Providence on new rails without need to going to NYC for jobs. My current local job area are NYC/Stamford, whole CT on cars, Springfield on rail, and maybe worst place would be worcester on car as last resort. If the new rails will be built, Providence and Worcester could be very comfortable job market for many CT residents on rails.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
I used to think MBTA/SLE meet at Westerly RI is remote, decades away. I think pandemic changes everything. New trends of work from home types leaving NYC/Boston to more rural RI CT MA smaller towns are permanent. The risk of pandemic is not going away for years.

The infrastructure stimulus trillion dollar spending will be coming soon may be later this year, and next year. SLE and MBTA extension at westerly is highly likely.

East West rail between Worcester and Springfield will likely get built too on this new trillion dollar stimulus.

Support for this kind of new built will be very high in CT. I can foresee myself to expand my local job areas into Worcester/Providence on new rails without need to going to NYC for jobs. My current local job area are NYC/Stamford, whole CT on cars, Springfield on rail, and maybe worst place would be worcester on car as last resort. If the new rails will be built, Providence and Worcester could be very comfortable job market for many CT residents on rails.
I certainly hope you're right about stimulus money towards rail in New England!

I'm curious--do you know what the rationale is for why Westerly is usually cited as a potential meeting point for SLE and MBTA Providence Line as opposed to other stops or having more than one station overlap?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-10-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I certainly hope you're right about stimulus money towards rail in New England!

I'm curious--do you know what the rationale is for why Westerly is usually cited as a potential meeting point for SLE and MBTA Providence Line as opposed to other stops or having more than one station overlap?
Westerly RI as meeting station for SLE and MBTA is well established in both both CDOT and RIDOT
plans.

You can search google for that. For example on "Westerly Shore Line East" search:

Panel Recommends Shore Line East's Next Stop: Rhode Islandwww.courant.com › news › connecticut › hc-shoreline-...
Feb 1, 2016 - NEW LONDON — Connecticut's next mass transit project should be extending Shore Line East service from New London to Westerly, R.I., ...

The recommendation is from CTDOT committee saying that CT was fully supporting the extension of SLE to Westerly RI, but no more than that. This also means that CT local money is there if fed money comes. Shovel ready.

search term "Westerly MBTA extension", you can get this:

Train service to extend past airport - The Brown Daily Heraldwww.browndailyherald.com › 2011/02/01 › train-servi...
Feb 1, 2011 - A southward extension of commuter train service from Boston ... and runs to Boston's South Station — as far south as Westerly, and potentially ...

There is map above showing Westerly, RI as the last stop of MBTA in RI. RIDOT and MAASSDOT seem to be both on board on this.

From both directions, Westerly RI is the meeting station for sure. RI is too far away from core population of CT (Hartford/New Haven/Stamford) and CT has less interest into RI inland while Boston and MA seem be quite happy to cover the whole RI on MBTA.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Westerly RI as meeting station for SLE and MBTA is well established in both both CDOT and RIDOT
plans.

You can search google for that. For example on "Westerly Shore Line East" search:

Panel Recommends Shore Line East's Next Stop: Rhode Islandwww.courant.com › news › connecticut › hc-shoreline-...
Feb 1, 2016 - NEW LONDON — Connecticut's next mass transit project should be extending Shore Line East service from New London to Westerly, R.I., ...

The recommendation is from CTDOT committee saying that CT was fully supporting the extension of SLE to Westerly RI, but no more than that. This also means that CT local money is there if fed money comes. Shovel ready.

search term "Westerly MBTA extension", you can get this:

Train service to extend past airport - The Brown Daily Heraldwww.browndailyherald.com › 2011/02/01 › train-servi...
Feb 1, 2011 - A southward extension of commuter train service from Boston ... and runs to Boston's South Station — as far south as Westerly, and potentially ...

There is map above showing Westerly, RI as the last stop of MBTA in RI. RIDOT and MAASSDOT seem to be both on board on this.

From both directions, Westerly RI is the meeting station for sure. RI is too far away from core population of CT (Hartford/New Haven/Stamford) and CT has less interest into RI inland while Boston and MA seem be quite happy to cover the whole RI on MBTA.
Right, I see that it's something that's mentioned--I just didn't quite understand why it was Westerly specifically. Like, is there an existing large yard or an easy way to do turnarounds around there or some such. I guess if the explanation is that it's just the last stop in RI and RI is more willing to pay for things, that could make sense.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Right, I see that it's something that's mentioned--I just didn't quite understand why it was Westerly specifically. Like, is there an existing large yard or an easy way to do turnarounds around there or some such. I guess if the explanation is that it's just the last stop in RI and RI is more willing to pay for things, that could make sense.
Westerly does have an existing Amtrak station. Westerly may need to expand station if the expansion meeting do happen soon on MBTA/SLE. Westerly should have plenty of land for yard or whatever if needed for such expansion. In the end, cost and local support is probably most important.

Westerly does seem to be a sweet spot place where all CT/RI/MA are in support of meeting on rails. Who knows what will happen, but trillion dollar infrastructure stimulus is highly likely considering the huge and permanent change from Pandemic.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I feel like Waterbury began its decline way way later than the big 3 of Connecticut.
Maybe so. Growing up in eastern CT in the early-mid 2000s, the only "bad" cities we heard about were Hartford and Bridgeport. Waterbury we didn't hear about much, and since we took field trips to New Haven here and there in elementary school, we just thought it was a nice big city with museums and colleges and stuff.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:13 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Until very recently, I always thought New Haven was a large rich city with amazing quality homes and education. I mean to an extent it is. But I didn't realize the extent of how much it fell. I have a ton of family East of New Haven and they refer to New Haven as dull. Most of my family around there are packing up and moving to Boston. One of my family members has had their homes on the market for over 200 days in CT, so its making it harder to move up to MA.

I told my uncle, just throw in your season tickets to the Red Sox or Bruins in with your home and itll sell in no time lol.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I knew some folks from New Haven/Bridgeport via my parents, went down 2/3 times as a kid. People referred to it as Pistol Wavin New Haven.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Until very recently, I always thought New Haven was a large rich city with amazing quality homes and education. I mean to an extent it is. But I didn't realize the extent of how much it fell. I have a ton of family East of New Haven and they refer to New Haven as dull. Most of my family around there are packing up and moving to Boston. One of my family members has had their homes on the market for over 200 days in CT, so its making it harder to move up to MA.

I told my uncle, just throw in your season tickets to the Red Sox or Bruins in with your home and itll sell in no time lol.
New Haven is a small city in northeast standard. The perception could be misleading as people saw the huge railway station New Haven Union Station with three railway lines plus Amtrak running there.

However, regardless of how small New Haven is, New Haven is the only real city in CT. I had company bars night at Stamford, and had one day tour of Hartford trying to understand Hartford. I had walking tour of Springfield as well on bigE and free Hartford Line day. Meah, Springfield/Hartford are not the type of New Haven. Stamford still is in the shallow of nearby mega city NYC, not stand alone. New Haven is truly stand out with bars, restaurants, colleges, museums etc. The future for New Haven is on the up trend even before pandemic, should be more up after pandemic post reopening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City