Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:56 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New London Torrington Willimantic Fitchburg Haverhill Pawtucket etc. aren’t populace enough or don’t anchor an MSA. Although New London might be an exception to that...
New London co-anchors the New London-Norwich MSA. Willimantic and Torrington have their own Micropolitan NECTAs. Fitchburg and Haverhill are the biggest cities in the Leominster-Gardner Metropolitan NECTA and the Haverhill-Newburyport-Amesbury NECTA division respectively.

And I maintain that downtown Waltham and Salem are more vibrant than downtown Lynn even if the cities are smaller.

Also if we were to include Torrington and Willimantic (though I don’t think we should), then Woonsocket and Pittsfield should get thrown in too.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 05-06-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 11:10 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Brockton Quincy and Lawrence should have been included for sure. But so souls Waterbury, Danbury.

New London Torrington Willimantic Fitchburg Haverhill Pawtucket etc. aren’t populace enough or don’t anchor an MSA. Although New London might be an exception to that...
Their downtown areas not as vibrant as Stamford or New Haven. New Haven is nightlife capital of CT even outside of Downtown East Rock and Wooster Square are nice urban areas. Even Downtown Middletown CT has college feel to little downtown area.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Their downtown areas not as vibrant as Stamford or New Haven. New Haven is nightlife capital of CT even outside of Downtown East Rock and Wooster Square are nice urban areas. Even Downtown Middletown CT has college feel to little downtown area.
I'm still reeling over the claim that downtown Stamford is vibrant. Could you drop some streetview links of Stamford's major shopping/entertainment areas? Best I could find while bopping around downtown are these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0563...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0530...7i16384!8i8192

Like, I really do admire all the new construction in the city, but I've never considered going out of my way to hang out there.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
New London co-anchors the New London-Norwich MSA. Willimantic and Torrington have their own Micropolitan NECTAs. Fitchburg and Haverhill are the biggest cities in the Leominster-Gardner Metropolitan NECTA and the Haverhill-Newburyport-Amesbury NECTA division respectively.

And I maintain that downtown Waltham and Salem are more vibrant than downtown Lynn even if the cities are smaller.
Necta and micropolitan isnt what we’re talking about tho..can’t compare to a Providence or Hartford at all. Basically..no one really cares about Waltham’s downtown or Torrington’s downtown. Right or wrong people don’t really care because either the downtowns are small , the city is small( Willimantic), there’s better options just a few miles away (Waltham) or people know they’re basically not gonna get an actual urban experience because they’re so remote (Torrington)

Generally this thread is about large, Southern New England cities. Not all New England cities. The larger southern New England cities are more visited or passed through than smaller cities, and face demographic complexities and challenges that their Northern New England counterparts largely don’t (ELL populations , diversity benchmarks, interstate highways construction/bisecting, segregation , gang violence.

Due to the reasons above I’m larger SNE cities might feel more pressure to improve their downtown. But simultaneously it may be a bit more difficult to do so. So success here is a bit more noteworthy than a small city like Waltham for whom a downtown isn’t make or break. Or than for a small homogenous population like Portsmouth who’s generally whiteness and affluence is going to put a lot of people at ease no matter how dull it might really be for POC and younger people. It’ll just come off as ‘pleasant’ kind of automatically. Same with Burlington (although Burlington is more poor). Honestly Burlington and Portsmouth are just pretty towns in a sea of forest.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I'm still reeling over the claim that downtown Stamford is vibrant. Could you drop some streetview links of Stamford's major shopping/entertainment areas? Best I could find while bopping around downtown are these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0563...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0530...7i16384!8i8192

Like, I really do admire all the new construction in the city, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to hang out there.
People on the Gold Coast of CT do hang out in Stamford it’s sterile but fairly vibrant (for a New England city). No one goes out of their way to hang out there. But no one goes out of their way to hang in downtown Fitchburg or Brockton either. Or even Lowell really.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Agreed. but their size is important. Downtown Lawrence seems to be full of Latino nightlife(used to be hookah lounges). Downtown Quincy isn’t bad either and revitalizing. Major rebuild. Some cities are bound to lose regardless but more could be given the distinction if inclusion.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
People on the Gold Coast of CT do hang out in Stamford it’s sterile but fairly vibrant (for a New England city). No one goes out of their way to hang out there. But no one goes out of their way to hang in downtown Fitchburg or Brockton either. Or even Lowell really.
Downtown Lowell is a social and nightlife center for the Merrimack Valley. Concerts/Events at the Tsongas Center/ Lowell Aud/ LaLanchur Park draw people from across the Merrimack Valley as well as bar hopping attract people from Tewksbury, Dracut, Chelmsford etc. much moreso than Saugus or Merrimac people hand out in Lynn or Lawrence or Wilton residents hang out in Stamford or Waterbury.

Lowell feels more like a small large city (eg Hartford, Worcester, Providence) than the largest of the small ones (New Bedford, Brockton, Lynn)

Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Agreed. but their size is important. Downtown Lawrence seems to be full of Latino nightlife(used to be hookah lounges). Downtown Quincy isn’t bad either and revitalizing. Major rebuild. Some cities are bound to lose regardless but more could be given the distinction if inclusion.
It shame Bridgeport the state most density populated city doesn't has good downtown area even though it show improvements over the years such as convert old buildings into apartments and retail. Steel point has more foot traffic than Downtown everyone hop back on highway. It will be cheaper option than more expensive Stamford and Norwalk.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Portsmouth are just pretty towns in a sea of forest.
Believe it or not, Portsmouth is a surprisingly big draw for nightlife in the area. Especially with UNH nearby. It's not just a pretty antique-shop-town for the elderly to walk around.

Nashua, NH is also a bigger draw than expected. One of my coworkers lives in Lowell and travels to Nashua for nights out.

And I guess my point was "if Waltham isn't being considered, then Lynn (and Quincy and Brockton) probably shouldn't be considered either". The scope could be better-defined.

Quote:
Generally this thread is about large, Southern New England cities. Not all New England cities. The larger southern New England cities are more visited or passed through than smaller cities, and face demographic complexities and challenges that their Northern New England counterparts largely don’t (ELL populations , diversity benchmarks, interstate highways construction/bisecting, segregation , gang violence.
The OP specifically asked about the Northern New England cities earlier in the thread.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Downtown Lowell is a social and nightlife center for the Merrimack Valley. Concerts/Events at the Tsongas Center/ Lowell Aud/ LaLanchur Park draw people from across the Merrimack Valley as well as bar hopping attract people from Tewksbury, Dracut, Chelmsford etc. much moreso than Saugus or Merrimac people hand out in Lynn or Lawrence or Wilton residents hang out in Stamford or Waterbury.

Lowell feels more like a small large city (eg Hartford, Worcester, Providence) than the largest of the small ones (New Bedford, Brockton, Lynn)
Yea sure I feel that. But that’s the same as Stamford, going from a MV town to Lowell isn’t going “out of your way” any more than going from a GC town to Stamford is. That’s all.

Side note: does New Bedford not serve some of that same purpose as Lowell.? Idk I’m from neither region. I feel like New Bedford has. Slightly bigger sphere of influence than Brockton or Lynn which I view as identical twins in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City