Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 03:40 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,472,470 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 05:34 AM

7,075 posts, read 16,778,681 times
No idea how people aren't seeing the rise of Louisville

Old 04-11-2020, 10:41 AM

16,510 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I am shocked by NOLA; who knew how tall that skyline was. Unfortunately, I don't see Buffalo or Rochester adding anything closely resembling a skyscraper in the near and distant future. Way too stagnant.
It's not really tall, it's really really dense though.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:42 AM

16,510 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Shocking, isn't it.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:40 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,452,501 times
Quote:
Louisville continues to make progress. The city appears to be falling in line with older cities with a focus on infill rather than skyscrapers. The list of projects are impressive.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...re/crane-watch

Old 04-11-2020, 02:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,130,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am not seeing it.
How familiar are you with Richmond and when's the last time you visited?

There is a lot of momentum for the region and the city & state are making all the right moves to support a future boom.

Also, as a city, I find that Richmond has a lot more character than many of the "trendy" places like Austin, Nashville, Denver, etc.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:41 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Skyline wise, I rank Louisville a good half notch above Richmond. It's just a better and bigger waterfront back drop.
Their skylines are definitely in the same tier. Louisville's tallest having a decorative top helps, but otherwise its skyline is a bit more dated. Richmond's skyline is the definition of boxy, but it does have a few newer glassy additions that give it a fresh element.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:12 PM

7,075 posts, read 16,778,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Their skylines are definitely in the same tier. Louisville's tallest having a decorative top helps, but otherwise its skyline is a bit more dated. Richmond's skyline is the definition of boxy, but it does have a few newer glassy additions that give it a fresh element.
Cannot disagree here....Louisville's skyline looks and feels bigger. Louisville's traditional water front view doesn't show the incredible North/South density of midrises in between.

I think the stats show that too. But it's splitting hairs. Louisville has at least 3 more skyscrapers...that's a big difference in any city with under 20 scrapers!

Louisville and Richmond are virtually twins, the good and bad.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Cannot disagree here....Louisville's skyline looks and feels bigger. Louisville's traditional water front view doesn't show the incredible North/South density of midrises in between.

I think the stats show that too. But it's splitting hairs. Louisville has at least 3 more skyscrapers...that's a big difference in any city with under 20 scrapers!

Louisville and Richmond are virtually twins, the good and bad.
It's been a while since I've been to Louisville so I can't make an up-to-date comparison between the two, but while Richmond has 10 buildings at 300 ft+ and Louisville has 14 buildings at the same height, Richmond's next five tallest buildings or so aren't very far behind. Louisville's edge isn't so much in the number of skyscrapers, but rather height.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 AM

811 posts, read 694,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Observations:

*New Orleans blows away this segment of cities, with a huge amount higher than any of them

*Many in this segment have none over 300 feet under construction, but do have 150-300 ft construction

*Louisville has a nice number of skyscrapers downtown. It has the same number of skyscrapers as both Kansas City and St Louis--much bigger metros

*I predict Raleigh will advance quickly in this segment, over the next decade
New Orleans was a major city prior to the advent of the automobile. There were over 100k residents in 1840!!!

Raleigh has had two major skyscraper roadblocks for a long time; Research Triangle Park, and the City Council. RTP is a massive employment hub, and due to its presence it has historically attracted a lot of commercial development to it instead of downtown Raleigh. However, with the increased focus on urbanization, companies are starting to take more of an interest in downtown. On the governmental side, the City Council has historically not been very helpful at all with restrictive zoning, absurdly long approval processes (by the time anything gets approved, the economy tanks), and too much NIMBY influence. However, the last elections saw several anti-growth council members replaced with new, pro-growth ones who generally seem to be easier to work with, so I am hoping that we will finally start to see some height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City