Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 01:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Atlanta booster

It's based purely on boosting ATL

Houston, Seattle, SF, Minneapolis along with Miami are above average. Houston and Miami with over 100 each has twice the number as DFW, Atlanta, Boston and Philly although they are comparable in size. Minneapolis and Seattle are impressive for their size

Philadelphia, Boston Atlanta and Dallas would be average.
LA below average.
I consider architecture and the size of the skylines as well. They are average given the size of their metros, especially Dallas. Not impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I consider architecture and the size of the skylines as well. They are average given the size of their metros, especially Dallas. Not impressive.
I know you don't like Philadelphia (for whatever reason), but how could Philadelphia be average in architecture and size of skyline, and Atlanta above average? Both metros are similar in population so there is no reason why Atlanta would be above average and Philadelphia average beside your personal bias.

Purely based on # of skyscrapers neither Philadelphia or Atlanta are top, but quality of skyline, its fairly uniform that Philadelphia has a very nice skyline filled with variety.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Both cities have their architectural gems and award winners but Houston is at 7m and Atlanta is over 6m. Houston has over 100 buildings over 100M while Atl has 50.
So Houston is less than 20% bigger but has over 100% more buildings so I apologize if I'm wrong but based on prior posts I would say that your ranking of Atl as above average and Houston as average send to be purely based on bias. It's clear that Atlanta was overly appraised (as it is in all of your posts) while Houston was grossly underappraised (as is all of your comments on Houston).

I'm hard pressed to find one disapproving post from you about Atlanta and even harder to find complimentary post of yours about Houston. That raises lots is credibility issues that is why I brought up the boosting comments. A glance at recent posts support the notion that objectivity is not the back bone of your posts.

I get it, everyone has regional biases, but if you are just boosting claim it. Data is data and you can't hide behind it. Houstons numbers are twice as impressive as Atlanta but you rank it as average and Atlanta as above average. Not objective at all.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:18 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjVbL87WNY

Some Boston shots..my favorites around 52 sec and 1:20 to end

Old 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Great video!

I especially like the shots from over the pike (around 1:00) and from Harvard(?) (around 1:30).

Old 04-09-2020, 03:39 PM

597 posts, read 449,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjVbL87WNY

Wonderful. Thanks for posting this

Old 04-09-2020, 04:02 PM

373 posts, read 252,676 times
Ny
Chi
Sf
Sea
Philly
Mia
LA
Houston
Atl
Bos
Minneapolis

Old 04-09-2020, 04:20 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
Ny
Chi
Sf
Sea
Philly
Mia
LA
Houston
Atl
Bos
Minneapolis
Based on ranking of skylines, this is a pretty good list.

I will say, Chicago is my favorite skyline and IMO the best skyline, its very majestic and well laid out.

New York wins based on sheer mass and scale that is unmatched almost anywhere in the world.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Based on ranking of skylines, this is a pretty good list.

I will say, Chicago is my favorite skyline and IMO the best skyline, its very majestic and well laid out.

New York wins based on sheer mass and scale that is unmatched almost anywhere in the world.
I respect your opinion and everyone else’s but I choose NYC’s skyline by a mile, it’s an “OMG” moment to first time viewers as well as people that see it regularly. But again, opinions are like “elbows” everyone has one!

Old 04-09-2020, 08:50 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Miami
4. SF
5. Seattle
6. Houston
7. LA
8. Atlanta
9. Dallas
10. Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City