Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this info, but wait, you're doing metros numbers but only counting city proper buildings? Atlanta has quite a few towers outside of the city.

Also Tampa's is below average, but if you're including the whole metro than you can add another 8 to that, with at least 5 more on the way. Still below average, but it is what it is. I wish it was were bigger, or at least taller.

I think Seattle's is probably the most impressive overall. It could easily look like Silicon Valley, yet has and is going up like Hong Kong.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-11-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 02:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Also Tampa's is below average, but if you're including the whole metro than you can add another 8 to that, with at least 5 more on the way. Still below average, but it is what it is. I wish it was were bigger, or at least taller.
Meh, skylines are overrated and they are increasingly looking the same. All the developers that built Vancouver are essentially making Seattle and San Diego into a replica.

Frankly, I find Tampa & St. Pete's streetscapes super endearing. I love the narrow widths and use of brick, complemented by tree canopy. I think that adds a lot more character than glass towers.
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7674...7i16384!8i8192

Sadly, in San Diego we have the complete opposite in comparable neighborhoods: enormously wide streets, tons of asphalt, and not too much foliage. There are some urban, single-family home streets that could literally fit 5-6 cars across. The scale is just totally off...and hideous.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7031...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-11-2020, 03:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Thanks for this info, but wait, you're doing metros numbers but only counting city proper buildings? Atlanta has quite a few towers outside of the city.

I think Seattle's is probably the most impressive overall. It could easily look like Silicon Valley, yet has and is going up like Hong Kong.
I think they are referring to cbds with notable exceptions for cities that have adjacent midtowns, hospitals, office buildings that blend in. I like Tampa's downtown. It just needs more jobs and retail to gain traction.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Skyscraper center
Skyscraper Center is one of the worst skyscraper-related sites for accurate information.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
*Phoenix and Tampa are not in this skyscraper league at all. They are lagging way behind for such large metro areas
Hey now, Phoenix is up to 19 now with two more under construction

Downtown Phoenix is only a few miles off the airport runway so height restrictions kind of killed downtown Phoenix. There are a ton of midrises 200'-300'. They also did some wierd stuff in the early 90's to develop an 'uptown' that has a decent concentration of high rises.

Flight paths have changed a bit in the last few years. A 539 footer 'Astra' has been approved to start construction soon plus a few more 300'+ are under construction now.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:05 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle heights are odd in the core Financial District...do they count from the uphill side or the downhill side? That would probably change F5's status. The main door is on the uphill side.

The Columbia Center (its actual name, no "tower") is counted by some from the uphill side because that's the plaza and largest physical entry. But the downhill side has the busiest entrance -- that's where most of the transit is, plus the food court and the tourist view level elevators.

Rainier Square is under construction btw.
Seattles buildings are measured from their downhill side (thats true for most buildings regardless of city)

Old 04-14-2020, 10:07 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Skyscraper Center is one of the worst skyscraper-related sites for accurate information.
Its more accurate then Emporis lol

Old 04-14-2020, 11:54 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Seattles buildings are measured from their downhill side (thats true for most buildings regardless of city)
Depends who's measuring, and on the building. The Columbia Center is called 930' by some because it's measured from the uphill side.

The local land use code measures from the mid-point of the major street face(s) if I recall. That's pertinent to height limits.

Buildings often deal with the height limits by stepping up the hill, sometimes in small increments. Others slope their roofs in line with the hill's slope. In those cases the height is a gray area.

This stuff is rarely as simple as the fan forums make it sound.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:23 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Hey now, Phoenix is up to 19 now with two more under construction

Downtown Phoenix is only a few miles off the airport runway so height restrictions kind of killed downtown Phoenix. There are a ton of midrises 200'-300'. They also did some wierd stuff in the early 90's to develop an 'uptown' that has a decent concentration of high rises.

Flight paths have changed a bit in the last few years. A 539 footer 'Astra' has been approved to start construction soon plus a few more 300'+ are under construction now.
I love the Phoenix skyline. It has a TON of potential.

I lived in Tucson for 7 years back in my early 20s and loved it. Would visit Phoenix often too.

I read about Astra--hoping it moves forward and this COVID-19 issue does not derail it. Are they indeed moving forward? Long overdue for a new Phoenix "tallest tower" to be built.

Hoping Phoenix keeps getting more dense and tall.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:37 AM

142 posts, read 86,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I love the Phoenix skyline. It has a TON of potential.

I lived in Tucson for 7 years back in my early 20s and loved it. Would visit Phoenix often too.

I read about Astra--hoping it moves forward and this COVID-19 issue does not derail it. Are they indeed moving forward? Long overdue for a new Phoenix "tallest tower" to be built.

Hoping Phoenix keeps getting more dense and tall.
Isn't downtown Phoenix restricted in height limits because of its airport?

It can build more highrises, but has higher limits to pass into 500+ ones? Perhaps a bit further it can. It certianly can build more. But single homes will reign. As cities sprawl. Multiple CBDs might develop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City