Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Atlanta suburbs--about 30 miles from downtown. We left 15 years ago because of the congestion and because of extreme traffic. The traffic is common amongst most big cities. My MegaCorp was consolidating and I was getting ready to retire.

Of all the large U.S. cities, the most affordable are Atlanta and Houston. The very hard working, diverse construction population only has finishing carpenters and electricians speaking English--keeping the Atlanta home costs down.

All the cities have great economies, as it's hard to hold back towns economically when they get to 3+ million residents.

I would say move to Atlanta, especially if you have family there. But I would tell you to move 50 miles or so from downtown--to the north or northeast. The region also has jobs outside the center city which I would never consider working in. And the hilly suburbs are absolutely magnificent in quality of life.

(We still keep a place up in the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains about 65 minutes drive from Lawrenceville.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta is everything. Face the facts. Come to calm and come to peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwuouby5vV8
Now now the Zoo Keeper said not to feed the trolls lol

Old 04-26-2020, 10:05 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
The debate between these three obviously can devolve into splitting hairs.
Do you want dry or humid, east or west? Otherwise, unless you really like or need very specific things, they're all going to offer a very similar lifestyle for the average Joe who doesn't obsess over who has the better trails or nightlife. Ultimately, they care about whether or not they can get a job and afford to live there. All three do well with those two things.
Still, all things considered, I'd lean heavily towards Phoenix.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
One Atlanta troll came to support another.....

You know ya'll are infamous on CD right? Lol.......

Old 04-26-2020, 10:29 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The debate between these three obviously can devolve into splitting hairs.
Do you want dry or humid, east or west? Otherwise, unless you really like or need very specific things, they're all going to offer a very similar lifestyle for the average Joe who doesn't obsess over who has the better trails or nightlife. Ultimately, they care about whether or not they can get a job and afford to live there. All three do well with those two things.
Still, all things considered, I'd lean heavily towards Phoenix.
Fair assessment.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
The Zookeeper? Who dat?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:03 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

Only a city-data addict/no-lifer would actually say something as ludicrous as this...or even care.

And it is spelled y'all not "ya'll." Spend quality, tranquil time in the City in a Forest and you will learn authentic Southern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

Last edited by aries4118; 04-27-2020 at 01:23 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

You the only troll here who cant add anything other than insults nd who cares?I sure dont.Care to add anything of substance?

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-27-2020 at 02:04 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I lived in the Atlanta suburbs--about 30 miles from downtown. We left 15 years ago because of the congestion and because of extreme traffic. The traffic is common amongst most big cities. My MegaCorp was consolidating and I was getting ready to retire.

Of all the large U.S. cities, the most affordable are Atlanta and Houston. The very hard working, diverse construction population only has finishing carpenters and electricians speaking English--keeping the Atlanta home costs down.

All the cities have great economies, as it's hard to hold back towns economically when they get to 3+ million residents.

I would say move to Atlanta, especially if you have family there. But I would tell you to move 50 miles or so from downtown--to the north or northeast. The region also has jobs outside the center city which I would never consider working in. And the hilly suburbs are absolutely magnificent in quality of life.

(We still keep a place up in the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains about 65 minutes drive from Lawrenceville.)
I think when it comes to sunbelt suburban living theres not a huge difference. It really does come down to the city cores.You really are splitting hairs over suburbs.
I would NEVER move 50 miles outside any city. Thats why the traffic is so bad. I lived downton but now in a suburb thats only 15 miles from downtown. We I lived downtown I didnt deal with traffic as I was able to tale the subway or ride my bike.
Of recent years there has been a huge surge of jobs and companies moving into the city becaause more people are not wanting the commute.One of the reason housing cost in Atlanta are among the fastest rising in the country.Again the Beltline especially has added to that desirability to live in the city core.I understand if you prefer a more peaceful less crowded area

Old 04-27-2020, 05:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I think when it comes to sunbelt suburban living theres not a huge difference. It really does come down to the city cores.You really are splitting hairs over suburbs.
I would NEVER move 50 miles outside any city. Thats why the traffic is so bad. I lived downton but now in a suburb thats only 15 miles from downtown. We I lived downtown I didnt deal with traffic as I was able to tale the subway or ride my bike.
Of recent years there has been a huge surge of jobs and companies moving into the city becaause more people are not wanting the commute.One of the reason housing cost in Atlanta are among the fastest rising in the country.Again the Beltline especially has added to that desirability to live in the city core.I understand if you prefer a more peaceful less crowded area
50 miles north of downtown would put someone in relatively easy commuting distance to Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City