Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 04:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
The photo of Phoenix is old as well and you would know that if you were familiar with Phoenix. Between 2001 and 2007.
I know PHX well enough to give a basic opinion. Like I said before,its been a while and even when i was there it wasnt enough that I can sit here and tell you every detail about PHX.
Why would I know more about it than you?Just like I wouldn't expect you to know more about Atlanta. The difference is,I haven't said anything that wasn't true.
Ive given my opinion and used information and stats to back up what Ive said. I havent seen the same for any of you PHX boosters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Do you really think Dallas and Phoenix are more comparable from the level of lushness or greenness in the city? I put Dallas and Atlanta much closer on this than Phoenix. Dallas gets 38" of rainfall per year, Atlanta gets 49" of rainfall, Phoenix gets 8" and none of them get any real snowfall so this sums up the annual precipitation.

Dallas is home to the Great Trinity Forest...

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...on-by-city.php
Its not an exact comparison jeez. Thats why I said similarities. Dallas and Atlanta are more similar in many more ways than Dallas and PHX, but in regards to the initial statement, in context ,Dallas is more in line with PHX.
He took my statement out of context and now you running away with it. Go back and read why I said what I said

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57943689-post180.html

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-27-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
50 miles north of downtown would put someone in relatively easy commuting distance to Alpharetta.
True but Alpharetta is far for me as well.I have family in friends up there and its a vey rare occasion Im up that way. Dunwoody ,?Marietta is about the farthest I go if I can help it

Old 04-27-2020, 05:13 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I know PHX well enough to give a basic opinion. Like I said before,its been a while and even when i was there it wasnt enough that I can sit here and tell you every detail about PHX.
Why would I know more about it than you?Just like I wouldn't expect you to know more about Atlanta. The difference is,I haven't said anything that wasn't true.
Ive given my opinion and used information and stats to back up what Ive said. I havent seen the same for any of you PHX boosters

Old 04-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Well dont bring it up if you dont want an answer

Old 04-27-2020, 06:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Dallas may not be as lush as Atlanta but it’s definitely green. I just took this picture from Oakcliff.
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta,Other--Which Sunbelt Metro?-a1af03c2-8191-4b35-a4d9-00cb9ee62d5b.jpeg  

Old 04-27-2020, 06:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As far as I know none of those hills are high enough to escape the desert heat, though.

Phoenix being only 2 hours from mountains with dramatically cooler weather does nothing for me. I'm not making a four hour round trip drive every summer weekend just to escape the heat. What about the weekdays? Are you going to get into your private jet and fly to the mountains? Face it, 99% of the time in the summer you'll be in brutally hot Phoenix, not in the cool mountains that are "only" two hours away.
Fresno(your fave city, haha) is 50m-1hr from a big mountain cooldown(up to 35f). Yes, it ends at a rural town and not another city, but there's stuff to see there.
Is that too far to be used as a bonus for you? This response will be interesting, I can't wait

Old 04-27-2020, 06:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,422 times
Pretty much no huge city could beat the CoL and QoL in Memphis.

They have a cost of living so cheap that even really cheap midsized cities like Johnson City, Yuma, Roanoke and Cookeville look expensive in comparison. Also, their water quality is great because deep sandy soil, a huge aquifer, lack of karst bedrock and over 50 inches of rain means water is filtered effectively, not sinking into bedrock and quick to be replenished.

Also, enjoying the outdoors in Memphis is sure not to be a problem for those who seek either four seasons or a warm climate. The mean annual temperature is 63.0F (just 1.4F short of a hot overall climate), winters are mild enough to grow Deep South plants with no month having sub-50F average highs nor subfreezing average lows, and the summers are no hotter than your typical southeastern city (Dallas, Oklahoma City and Austin are hotter because the southern Great Plains has some of the most relentless heat of any humid region). I once thought it's the lowland equivalent of Atlanta or inland equivalent of Virginia Beach, but it's actually even warmer.

I bet Memphis would be a sun-loving, cold-hating northerner's dream... for those who could handle the crime. Honestly though, I strongly believe that the crime is the least of three evils compared to Atlanta (rough roads and nearly-unrivaled traffic) or Virginia Beach (threat of hurricanes). You can protect yourself from crime more easily than you can deal with traffic, and leaving to escape hurricanes repeatedly only to see the place wrecked upon return and pay for repairs could get very expensive.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Pretty much no huge city could beat the CoL and QoL in Memphis.

They have a cost of living so cheap that even really cheap midsized cities like Johnson City, Yuma, Roanoke and Cookeville look expensive in comparison. Also, their water quality is great because deep sandy soil, a huge aquifer, lack of karst bedrock and over 50 inches of rain means water is filtered effectively, not sinking into bedrock and quick to be replenished.

Also, enjoying the outdoors in Memphis is sure not to be a problem for those who seek either four seasons or a warm climate. The mean annual temperature is 63.0F (just 1.4F short of a hot overall climate), winters are mild enough to grow Deep South plants with no month having sub-50F average highs nor subfreezing average lows, and the summers are no hotter than your typical southeastern city (Dallas, Oklahoma City and Austin are hotter because the southern Great Plains has some of the most relentless heat of any humid region). I once thought it's the lowland equivalent of Atlanta or inland equivalent of Virginia Beach, but it's actually even warmer.

I bet Memphis would be a sun-loving, cold-hating northerner's dream... for those who could handle the crime. Honestly though, I strongly believe that the crime is the least of three evils compared to Atlanta (rough roads and nearly-unrivaled traffic) or Virginia Beach (threat of hurricanes). You can protect yourself from crime more easily than you can deal with traffic, and leaving to escape hurricanes repeatedly only to see the place wrecked upon return and pay for repairs could get very expensive.
??
What does Memphis have to do with this thread?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
??
What does Memphis have to do with this thread?
It doesn't just say Phoenix, Atlanta or Dallas. It says Other Sun Belt Metro, too. Memphis is also in the Sun Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City