Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Serious question: Do you honestly think a California native who's looking at prototypical Sunbelt cities like Phoenix, Dallas, and Atlanta to relocate to would have a city like Memphis on their radar? Let's be realistic here.
Looking at the data, Atlanta really doesn't draw a lot of Californians either. In 2018 GA had a total of 16K move there from CA. The top destinations are below with Texas being #1 and Arizona #2.

Top destinations: In raw terms of people moving, the top spot for Californians is Texas, which got 86,164 Californians in 2018. Next came Arizona (68,516), Washington (55,467), Nevada (50,707), and Oregon (43,058). All told, California had the most exits among the state and that wave grew by 4% in a year.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...id-they-go-to/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Looking at the data, Atlanta really doesn't draw a lot of Californians either. In 2018 GA had a total of 16K move there from CA. The top destinations are below with Texas being #1 and Arizona #2.

Top destinations: In raw terms of people moving, the top spot for Californians is Texas, which got 86,164 Californians in 2018. Next came Arizona (68,516), Washington (55,467), Nevada (50,707), and Oregon (43,058). All told, California had the most exits among the state and that wave grew by 4% in a year.

Not surprising at all since Californians tend to relocate to other Western(ish) states, but the presence of the TV/film industry in Georgia provides a pipeline for domestic migration from California, albeit not a particularly huge one. In this case, Atlanta was explicitly named as an option along with other major Sunbelt metros. Since the OP has expressed a willingness to potentially move further east than Texas, that makes sense but I don't see it for a city like Memphis.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:

As a state sure. As a city?NO to Memphis. But why would California move half way across the country ?Like I said before,most people move within a few states over accept those states that are largely rural.

Cities like Atlanta pull people from NEw York.Chicago and ther Northeast and Midwest cities mainly but it also is a big draw for Californians as well
Quote:
It’s no wonder some Californians are packing their bags and moving elsewhere. Top destination markets for migrants from coastal California metros are to other large metros like New York, Atlanta and Chicago, but also include less expensive Sun Belt markets such as Las Vegas and Phoenix. Californians gravitated to the high job-growth centers of Seattle, Denver, Dallas and Portland, Ore.
https://www.trulia.com/research/cali...looking-to-go/

Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
As a state sure. As a city?NO to Memphis. But why would California move half way across the country ?Like I said before,most people move within a few states over accept those states that are largely rural.

Cities like Atlanta pull people from NEw York.Chicago and ther Northeast and Midwest cities mainly but it also is a big draw for Californians as well

https://www.trulia.com/research/cali...looking-to-go/
No idea why areas like Sacramento and Orange County would be excluded as they are on the Trulia data, it's also based on searches from one quarter of 2016 and job changes in one quarter of 2017, that's a really small window of time.

The data below is full state, over 5-years and a much more comprehensive look. Atlanta metro draws about as many Californians as Reno over that period of time. Not sure why this is surprising to anyone, proximity home, weather/geography similarities all will feel much more normal in these locations than Atlanta. It makes sense to me New Yorkers would go to Atlanta... it'll feel more like home than AZ. The east also has far more people than the west, it's the reason the term "east coast bias" exists in sports broadcasting among other things such as polls like this.

https://calmatters.org/explainers/ca...s-immigration/

Over 5 years, 2013-2017 here's the top metro areas Californians moved to.

- Phoenix 396K
- Vegas 358K
- Seattle 300K
- Portland 268K
- Dallas 214K
- Denver 160K
- New York 150K
- Atlanta 115K
- Reno 112K
- Chicago 102K

Last edited by locolife; 04-28-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That link provides almost zero insight into their data adjustments as they've defined this as "coastal California migration" whatever that actually means. It's also just for 1 year.

Here's a more comprehensive look by metro area published by the state of California itself. It covers 5 years of migration by both state as well as the top metro areas. Atlanta is on the list but ranks closer to Reno than Dallas or Phoenix.

Not sure why this is surprising to anyone, proximity home, weather/geography similarities all will feel much more normal in these locations than Atlanta.

- Phoenix 396K
- Vegas 358K
- Seattle 300K
- Portland 268K
- Dallas 214K

- Denver 160K
- New York 150K
- Atlanta 115K
- Reno 112K
- Chicago 102K
LOL
Thats exactly what ive said more than once.
Here is the thing:
You focus on California migration because its by far the single biggest source of people coming to PHX whereas in cities like Dallas and Atlanta ,the draw is a lot more widespread.
This is not a thread about "where Californians go"
It seems this is a theme among PHX posters. This is truthfully why I dont find anything appealing about PHX.It simply has no identity or,culture.Its connection to another state is stronger than anything it has on its own.
I have nothing against PHX but when someone from PHX says Atlanta is "run of the mill", its just comical.

If Im not mistaken you arent originally from PHX. The other poster boosting PHX has a Houston address so that should tell you something.

I get why you moved to PHX or live there.Its truly a beautiful ,clean,functional and orderly city and in teh future will be a place even I would consider but in all honesty its average in every way.Its environment is why it exist and why its booming.The desert is truly unique

Old 04-28-2020, 12:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Here is the thing:
You focus on California migration because its by far the single biggest source of people coming to PHX whereas in cities like Dallas and Atlanta ,the draw is a lot more widespread.
It seems this is a theme among PHX posters. This is truthfully why I dont find anything appealing about PHX.It simply has no identity or,culture.Its connection to another state is stronger than anything it has on its own.
Hold up...read the original post in this thread which was literally started by a Californian looking to relocate to another city. I also think you're taking unnecessary potshots at Phoenix which absolutely does have an identity and culture of its own which is stronger than its connection to California. I'm not sure what that poster said that would cause you to throw such jabs at Phoenix.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hold up...read the original post in this thread which was literally started by a Californian looking to relocate to another city. I also think you're taking unnecessary potshots at Phoenix which absolutely does have an identity and culture of its own which is stronger than its connection to California. I'm not sure what that poster said that would cause you to throw such jabs at Phoenix.
True,I was refering to Memphis and his explanation.,Im not making any pot shots.I open to you telling me something about the culture of PHX but all Ive heard is how PHX is naturally blessed how attractive it is to Californians. Its my opinion.If thats a pot shot then what was it called when other posters said Atlanta was run of the mill?
Im not gonna apologize for having an opinion. Ive not once said PHX was a bad place.I just said it wasnt for me.No different than what PHX posters have said. I dont need moderating my thoughts. Ive been nothing but respectful

Ill add in addition to my comment that every city has a culture but as many times as I was there years ago,I couldnt see it.Call it me being misinformed but it is what I felt from my own experience.

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-28-2020 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
LOL
Thats exactly what ive said more than once.
Here is the thing:
I have nothing against PHX but when someone from PHX says Atlanta is "run of the mill", its just comical.

If Im not mistaken you arent originally from PHX. The other poster boosting PHX has a Houston address so that should tell you something.

I get why you moved to PHX or live there.Its truly a beautiful ,clean,functional and orderly city and in teh future will be a place even I would consider but in all honesty its average in every way.Its environment is why it exist and why its booming.The desert is truly unique
While there are many transplants from California living in Arizona, transplants from the Midwest and peripheral areas (e.g., Arkansas, Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, western New York, western Pennsylvania, etc.) are much more plentiful. As a result, Arizona feels a lot more "Midwestern" than "Californian," IMO. Now, Nevada is a different story; that state feels much more Californian, and the numbers back up my personal experience.

Sources:

Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
While there are many transplants from California living in Arizona, transplants from the Midwest and peripheral areas (e.g., Arkansas, Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, western New York, western Pennsylvania, etc.) are much more plentiful. As a result, Arizona feels a lot more "Midwestern" than "Californian," IMO. Now, Nevada is a different story; that state feels much more Californian, and the numbers back up my personal experience.

Sources:
Im talking about PHX.Not AZ.
Your statement is true for many states.Atlanta pulls the majority from the South and its neighboring states.
Neighboring states may pull people from Georgia but not necessarily Atlanta.
I dont think if I lived in PHX I would move so I get why its an attractive place. As it was said before,its an easy lifestyle with far less stress than many other cities.At this point in my life stress isnt a factor and my life is pretty easy as it is now

Old 04-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
No idea why areas like Sacramento and Orange County would be excluded as they are on the Trulia data, it's also based on searches from one quarter of 2016 and job changes in one quarter of 2017, that's a really small window of time.

The data below is full state, over 5-years and a much more comprehensive look. Atlanta metro draws about as many Californians as Reno over that period of time. Not sure why this is surprising to anyone, proximity home, weather/geography similarities all will feel much more normal in these locations than Atlanta. It makes sense to me New Yorkers would go to Atlanta... it'll feel more like home than AZ. The east also has far more people than the west, it's the reason the term "east coast bias" exists in sports broadcasting among other things such as polls like this.

- Phoenix 396K
- Vegas 358K
- Seattle 300K
- Portland 268K
- Dallas 214K
- Denver 160K
- New York 150K
- Atlanta 115K
- Reno 112K
- Chicago 102K
So whats the reasoning for people moving from California to Atlanta but not Miami,DC. Philly or even Boston?Wheres Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City