Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 06:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
Are you having a meltdown over a C-D poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:20 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
The point of me asking your place of birth was that when so many people are from other places,it tells you about the culture of a city.
You said yourself you like it because of the climate a,weather and no litle traffic if im not mistaken
PHX is not 40% from AZ. I cant find exact numbers but its 21% in Maricopa County.
In Atlanta (Fulton and Dekalb Counties) its roughly 34%.This is on par with places like LA County,Queens,Kings. Compare that with a city like Philadelphia County with a native population over 60%!
The county in the metro Atlanta area with the lowest native born is Gwinnett with about 20% followed by Cobb at 26% but the rest of the metro areas counties are all over 40%.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...by-county.html

Much of what you said is really nothing even smaller sized cities dont already have. Military installations?Yeh I know I had assignments at Luke AFB. A university or two?Still really nothing special.Many of the top 20 largest cities has all of this and more. Its a moot point because Phoenix is growing very fast but Im not convinced that people are moving there soley for the economy when there are so many other options

Atlanta was not founded due to farming at all.It was because of its location.The railroads were built and met there. Hence its nickname was called Terminus.

Never heard that nickname before for Atlanta, mainly more on the hip hop culture side such at ATL or Hotlanta or Peach names. If it wasn't for that I would know even less about the city to be honest. Your main drag is called Peachtree Street (ours is Central Ave by comparison) and your local major college bowl game is the Peach Bowl and for New Years you drop a peach. Surely there is some farming history in the area? if not, all of that is pretty odd.

Anyways, the point of me mentioning farming and military was in response to you stating nobody would l live in Phoenix if it wasn't for the scenery, that's not at all why it got started and not a primary reason most people live here today. It sounds like you glanced over that completely and moved on to take that as current day amenities in Phoenix, which isn't the case at all. We already went over that many pages ago, not going to list out again the unique things Phoenix offers.

According to World Population, in Phoenix it's right around 40% as well, 38.24% in Maricopa County. In Pinal County, the only other county making up metro Phoenix, is a bit over 40%. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these stats, these sound a bit high to me. Phoenix draws in a ton of new people, I'd assume more than Atlanta to your point.

- Maricopa County: 38.24% of the county residents were born in Arizona. Which in Phoenix's case is most of the metro area.
- Pinal County: 40.52% of the county residents were born in Arizona.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ty-population/
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ty-population/

Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California but now we also have a startup scene. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
I prefer Dallas, but come on. Atlanta does have some nice qualities, including some that are better than Dallas. For one, the natural scenery and outdoor activities (minus water recreation) are clearly better in Atlanta. It is also ahead of Dallas in urbanizing its urban core, although the differences aren't as big as they used to be. Frisco and the Cowboys are really not selling points. The former is a soulless suburb that is more of a cancer to the region than a positive contributor while the latter is the definition of hype over substance. Fort Worth is a nice bonus, but it shouldn't be one of the main selling points. Dallas should be able to offer enough on its own, with or without FW.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:27 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Never heard that nickname before for Atlanta, mainly more on the hip hop culture side such at ATL or Hotlanta or Peach names. If it wasn't for that I would know even less about the city to be honest. Your main drag is called Peachtree Street (ours is Central Ave by comparison) and your local major college bowl game is the Peach Bowl and for New Years you drop a peach. Surely there is some farming history in the area? if not, all of that is pretty odd.
Terminus is the original name of Atlanta which was founded as a critical rail hub to link Midwestern markets with Southern markets.

As far as the origin of Peachtree Street, here is a good read on the subject: https://www.gpbnews.org/post/whats-n...lled-peachtree

The Peach Bowl and Peach Drop are just references to Georgia's nickname as the Peach State; those are mostly grown in other parts of the state, not the Atlanta area, but Atlanta is the state capital. Speaking of which, it doesn't seem there's been as much discussion of Atlanta's and Phoenix's roles as their respective state capitals.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:20 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California but now we also have a startup scene. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
Thats a subjective question .Ive already said many why I personally think if its an urban experience you want,out of these cities mentioned,its hands down Atlanta. That doesnt change whether its PHX or DAL Taking into consideration the entire metro ,its a draw or it comes down to personal preferences.

Its clear you know little about Atlanta based on your comments but if you visit the city of Atlanta ,you will see its so much more to do and its more of a complete city than Dallas although Dallas is doing a lot to its core as well

Old 04-30-2020, 10:40 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
I like Dallas but I much prefer Atlanta over Dallas. I also wouldn’t consider Frisco the best place to live let alone the best suburb to live in the DFW. I also prefer Atlanta’s midtown to Dallas Uptown and Id much prefer Atlanta’s Piedmont Park to Klyde Warren Park. And I can’t stand the Cowboys and their fanbase and Ft.Worth meh.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I prefer Dallas, but come on. Atlanta does have some nice qualities, including some that are better than Dallas. For one, the natural scenery and outdoor activities (minus water recreation) are clearly better in Atlanta. It is also ahead of Dallas in urbanizing its urban core, although the differences aren't as big as they used to be. Frisco and the Cowboys are really not selling points. The former is a soulless suburb that is more of a cancer to the region than a positive contributor while the latter is the definition of hype over substance. Fort Worth is a nice bonus, but it shouldn't be one of the main selling points. Dallas should be able to offer enough on its own, with or without FW.

The Cowboys is an interesting selling point for anyone to mention, I can't think of a single person I've met that lives somewhere due to a pro sports team lol.

Pretty fair critique, Phoenix lags the other 2 in urban development, were adding more now than we ever have before and are growing our public transit system as well. In the last 10-15 years a more true urban lifestyle has become possible in the Phoenix metro where it really was completely absent in my opinion. But the majority of the US population does not live an urban lifestyle and it's not usually the top of most poeple's lists. But certainly young professionals as well as empty-nesters are desiring a walk-able lifestyle and with the advent of electric scooters everywhere, uber, etc... downtown Phoenix is becoming a pretty friendly area for living without a car. I personally live in a single family house but very close to downtown, making commuting without a car pretty easy for me here.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:59 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Id much prefer Atlanta’s Piedmont Park to Klyde Warren Park.
I prefer Piedmont, but I don't think that's a good comparison. Turtle Creek/Reverchon Park between Uptown & Oak Lawn are the closest comparisons.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I prefer Piedmont, but I don't think that's a good comparison. Turtle Creek/Reverchon Park between Uptown & Oak Lawn are the closest comparisons.
They both look great, especially for hanging out and enjoying some nice weather but what big city doesn't have nice manicured parks? I find these everywhere, Frick in Pittsburgh, Boston Common/Garden, Golden Gate Park in SF, Echo Park out in LA, Balboa in San Diego, Liberty Park in Salt Lake, Kerry in Seattle Phoenix has several Encanto Park, Hance Park, Indian Steel Park. They're all nice for hanging out in. Maybe I'm missing something here but I see these parks everywhere and consider it a basic amenity I'd expect in any city.

Personally, I kind of like parks that include mountains, or at least having parks in town with options for hiking a mountain or two or three. If that's your taste as well then I'm not seeing how Atlanta or Dallas fits the bill.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I like Dallas but I much prefer Atlanta over Dallas. I also wouldn’t consider Frisco the best place to live let alone the best suburb to live in the DFW. I also prefer Atlanta’s midtown to Dallas Uptown and Id much prefer Atlanta’s Piedmont Park to Klyde Warren Park. And I can’t stand the Cowboys and their fanbase and Ft.Worth meh.
I think Grapevine is much nicer and more authentic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City