Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
They both look great, especially for hanging out and enjoying some nice weather but what big city doesn't have nice manicured parks? I find these everywhere, Frick in Pittsburgh, Boston Common/Garden, Golden Gate Park in SF, Echo Park out in LA, Balboa in San Diego, Liberty Park in Salt Lake, Kerry in Seattle Phoenix has several Encanto Park, Hance Park, Indian Steel Park. They're all nice for hanging out in. Maybe I'm missing something here but I see these parks everywhere and consider it a basic amenity I'd expect in any city.

Personally, I kind of like parks that include mountains, or at least having parks in town with options for hiking a mountain or two or three. If that's your taste as well then I'm not seeing how Atlanta or Dallas fits the bill.

Some of those parks you mentioned are iconic parks. Thats the difference and the goal post for most cities. They are also historic.Piedmont Park is also very historic. In 1895 one of the most historic American orators and speeches was presented at the Cotton States Exposition by famed African American Booker T Washington.This was one of the biggest gatherings in the world of its time in comparison to the Olympics.Even the President Harding or Cleveland was present.I cant remember which on of those.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton...nal_Exposition
Piedmont Park was also designed by the Olmstead's. The sons of the Fredrick Law Olmstead that designed Central Park.

Its easy to look at a few pictures but unless you are there,you dont get the same sense of place being ther can give you.
I dont care how many times Ive been to Central Park,I still am in awe of how beautiful it is surround by a metropolis. Piedmont is nothing like that but you get a similar feel. To be honest The new Westside Park at Bellwood will be my favorite and its not even open yet.
Sometime this is year.It will be almost more than twice as big as Piedmont and will be amazing as the plans I have seen have been developed.Its apart of the Beltline design

The other park called Rodney Cook Sr Peace Park will be another great park .I can wait for it to be finished.
This reminds me of my favorite park in NYC,Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The original park that was here was also a park designed by the Olmstead's just as Prospect was as well.
https://www.rodneycooksrpark.org/
Atlanta is doing a great job increasing its number of parks. They seem to be nothing run of the mill or ordinary either as their designs meet more criteria for the lifestyle of urban citizens. The amount of parks thanks largely to the Beltline is quite astounding

I have to say Encanto Park is equally as nice as Piedmont if not slight nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Never heard that nickname before for Atlanta, mainly more on the hip hop culture side such at ATL or Hotlanta or Peach names. If it wasn't for that I would know even less about the city to be honest. Your main drag is called Peachtree Street (ours is Central Ave by comparison) and your local major college bowl game is the Peach Bowl and for New Years you drop a peach. Surely there is some farming history in the area? if not, all of that is pretty odd.

Anyways, the point of me mentioning farming and military was in response to you stating nobody would l live in Phoenix if it wasn't for the scenery, that's not at all why it got started and not a primary reason most people live here today. It sounds like you glanced over that completely and moved on to take that as current day amenities in Phoenix, which isn't the case at all. We already went over that many pages ago, not going to list out again the unique things Phoenix offers.

According to World Population, in Phoenix it's right around 40% as well, 38.24% in Maricopa County. In Pinal County, the only other county making up metro Phoenix, is a bit over 40%. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these stats, these sound a bit high to me. Phoenix draws in a ton of new people, I'd assume more than Atlanta to your point.

- Maricopa County: 38.24% of the county residents were born in Arizona. Which in Phoenix's case is most of the metro area.
- Pinal County: 40.52% of the county residents were born in Arizona.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ty-population/
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ty-population/
Not just the Peach Bowl but the SEC Championship as well.

Atlanta was never a big farming place. That was never its notoriety. Rail Roads. Remember when Atlanta fell during the Civil War,the South pretty much lost as Atlanta was the center for the supply lines for the rail roads.Major munitions were made and stored there.
It was burned down and the Confederacy gave in within a few months after that, Gone With the Wind chronicled it in this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnEZrV_WT44

Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Terminus is the original name of Atlanta which was founded as a critical rail hub to link Midwestern markets with Southern markets.

As far as the origin of Peachtree Street, here is a good read on the subject: https://www.gpbnews.org/post/whats-n...lled-peachtree

The Peach Bowl and Peach Drop are just references to Georgia's nickname as the Peach State; those are mostly grown in other parts of the state, not the Atlanta area, but Atlanta is the state capital. Speaking of which, it doesn't seem there's been as much discussion of Atlanta's and Phoenix's roles as their respective state capitals.
Actually it was never the official name.Its first name was Marthasville name after the governors daughter. The name Atlanta came from the Atlantic Rail line that came through Atlanta

Old 04-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I prefer Piedmont, but I don't think that's a good comparison. Turtle Creek/Reverchon Park between Uptown & Oak Lawn are the closest comparisons.
Maybe Olympic Park is a better comparison

Old 04-30-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
They both look great, especially for hanging out and enjoying some nice weather but what big city doesn't have nice manicured parks? I find these everywhere, Frick in Pittsburgh, Boston Common/Garden, Golden Gate Park in SF, Echo Park out in LA, Balboa in San Diego, Liberty Park in Salt Lake, Kerry in Seattle Phoenix has several Encanto Park, Hance Park, Indian Steel Park. They're all nice for hanging out in. Maybe I'm missing something here but I see these parks everywhere and consider it a basic amenity I'd expect in any city.

Personally, I kind of like parks that include mountains, or at least having parks in town with options for hiking a mountain or two or three. If that's your taste as well then I'm not seeing how Atlanta or Dallas fits the bill.
If Atlanta was 512 sq niles then Im sure Panola,Arabia,or Stone Mountains would be the perfect place.You cant have it both ways.Have a very urban city with a mountain in it.lol

Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Actually it was never the official name.Its first name was Marthasville name after the governors daughter. The name Atlanta came from the Atlantic Rail line that came through Atlanta
Whether officially or unofficially, the town was originally known as Terminus because that's literally what it was founded as.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:

For me I was specifically comparing Atlanta to Dallas. I’ve never been to Phoenix so I can’t speak on its parks. And as far as what I find appealing about Piedmont Park that sets it apart from what Dallas has to offer in green space.

1. Aesthetically I think it looks better than any park Id get in Dallas.
2. The vibe is definitely more of my vibe and it’s inclusivity to all walks of life
3. The location is probably my biggest appeal cause it’s adjacent to the Beltline and Midtown.

I’m not saying Piedmont is the best urban Park in the nation, just that I prefer it to any park in Dallas.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
If Atlanta was 512 sq niles then Im sure Panola,Arabia,or Stone Mountains would be the perfect place.You cant have it both ways.Have a very urban city with a mountain in it.lol
Technically you could make Phoenix less than 100 square miles from downtown it would include mountains. South Mountain begins 6.5 miles from downtown, Phoenix Mountains begin 10 miles from downtown and Papago is 8 miles. The scale and proximity just doesn't compare but that's fine Phoenix's density doesn't yet compare to Atlanta but it's getting better.

By the way, many of those 500 square miles is just empty open space. All of the preserves and a lot of land North of any development in the city which was annexed to avoid being landlocked.

LA is the densest local example I can think of with a metro area having mountains in the area. You can definitely have both but too much density is bad for enjoyment of those mountains, you get stuck in traffic instead of having free time to enjoy.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Technically you could make Phoenix less than 100 square miles from downtown it would include mountains. South Mountain begins 6.5 miles from downtown, Phoenix Mountains begin 10 miles from downtown and Papago is 8 miles. The scale and proximity just doesn't compare but that's fine Phoenix's density doesn't yet compare to Atlanta but it's getting better.

By the way, many of those 500 square miles is just empty open space. All of the preserves and a lot of land North of any development in the city which was annexed to avoid being landlocked.

LA is the densest local example I can think of with a metro area having mountains in the area. You can definitely have both but too much density is bad for enjoyment of those mountains, you get stuck in traffic instead of having free time to enjoy.
Well sure but its just how the city limits are drawn. It could still include or be as close to Atlanta if the city limits were oriented in the direction of the mountains.It just that Atlanta has these things in its suburbs more than its city limits.Either way its a silly argument that would suggest people are less likely to go 30 minutes for good hiking vs 10 minutes.Especially when most people live in suburbs of both cities anyway.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:

Doesn't SF have Twin Peaks within the city/county limits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City