Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I would rather be within reasonable driving distance of the beaches of Georgia, Florida and South Carolina than be within driving distance of the beaches in Rocky Point, which, for the record, is located in the most dangerous country in the entire world, Mexico. Sorry, but driving through an ugly desert on dirt roads with a high likelihood of either getting caught in a dust storm or being robbed at gunpoint is not my idea of summer vacation. At least everything is perfect-looking in Destin and Ponte Vedra Beach.
You had to mention Destin...my room was booked and gas tank full before this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 03:38 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
I would rather be within reasonable driving distance of the beaches of Georgia, Florida and South Carolina than be within driving distance of the beaches in Rocky Point, which, for the record, is located in the most dangerous country in the entire world, Mexico. Sorry, but driving through an ugly desert on dirt roads with a high likelihood of either getting caught in a dust storm or being robbed at gunpoint is not my idea of summer vacation. At least everything is perfect-looking in Destin and Ponte Vedra Beach.
For the record? Do you know something the rest of us don't?

I cannot recall knowing anyone personally who has ever traveled to Rocky Point on a dirt road and has either been caught in a dust storm or robbed at gunpoint. However, you do have a flair for the dramatic.

Destin is a nice place to visit. I had a wonderful time there while in high school.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I haven't been in a few years, but always had a good time. I'm happy to see it continuing to grow.

More condo towers going up: https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/t...y-condo-tower/

Old 04-12-2020, 07:42 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Phoenix.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:57 AM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
Just to preface, most of my answer are subjective- I'm originally from PHX area, and visit often (in fact, was just there before the lockdowns); but have been in the South for a long time now.

COL- I think Dallas area is the cheapest here. A few years ago I would've said PHX area but I don't think that's the case anymore.

QOL- Hard to tell. I'm going to say all have their own specialties in their own rights.

Job Opportunities/Economy- all three are really close to one another. I think Atlanta might have the brightest future, but all 3 certainly are powerhouses.

Entertainment- Atlanta

Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility- PHX wins this, hands down. There's beautiful scenery, weather is perfect 8-9 months of the year; amazing sunsets; snowboarding just two hours north with Flag and you'll get the greenery of more northern states, sedona only an hour and a half away, Show Low, the Grand Canyon etc.; PHX area has camelback, lost dog, the tempe river or w/e it is called. I think Atlanta is the next best- I prefer the greenery nowadays, although I'm nostalgic for parts of the desert. Atlanta is also pretty close to great places to visit too, but less outdoorsy stuff compared to PHX area.

Proximity to other major cities- Eh, these are all pretty close to other major cities and all have great airports. I think Atlanta might have the best airport/most options of the 3 but honestly, the difference is negligible. PHX is close to ALB, Vegas, and LA, Close ish to San Diego, El Paso, Denver, and Salt Lake. Dallas/FW is close to Houston and Austin, and OKC. Atlanta is close to Savannah and Charleston (I know not major cities but awesome nonetheless), Nashville, and Charlotte.

Best of luck

Old 04-13-2020, 01:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
For the record? Do you know something the rest of us don't?

I cannot recall knowing anyone personally who has ever traveled to Rocky Point on a dirt road and has either been caught in a dust storm or robbed at gunpoint. However, you do have a flair for the dramatic.

Destin is a nice place to visit. I had a wonderful time there while in high school.

I was wondering the same thing. I have multiple friends who own second homes in Las Conchas and have spent decades now traveling there with their families for long weekends, spring break etc... The 1 hour you actually drive into Mexico has never been a problem or presented an uncomfortable event for me.

As for the scenery along the way, we often times leave at night but we have stopped at a few places along the way. Once at Pinacate about 30 minutes from Rocky Point, it is a 4 million year old chain of volcanoes which you can drive/hike around and through, they have a really interesting visitor center covering the history. Another time we stopped at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, the only place in the US where that variety of cacti grow. Both were pretty cool actually and certainly present a change in scenery from the rest of the drive.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:

I would rather be in a place with mountains nearby and low humidity, which is why I choose to live here in AZ. Personally, the Southeast scenery does nothing for me other than some of the beaches mainly in Florida which are nice once in a while.

Florida has amazing beaches, I'm more interested in south Florida beaches personally and enjoy the Keys, the winter temps are usually just right as well. But that's outside of what I'd consider a reasonable drive from ATL but would be a short flight. I get all the water time I want and need at the lakes near Phoenix and beaches in Rocky Point and San Diego/OC.

By the way, Mexico ranks as the 24th most dangerous country worldwide, the US is just 12 places behind at 36.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ous-countries/

Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Currently...

Phoenix...15

+7

Dallas...22

+7

Atlanta...29

So pattern-rific...!
Currently...
More patterns...

Phoenix...17

+11

Dallas...28

+11

Atlanta...39

Old 04-13-2020, 09:04 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Mexico is NOWHERE NEAR the most dangerous country in the world.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Mexico is NOWHERE NEAR the most dangerous country in the world.
Overall, you’re right. Venezuela is by far the most dangerous atleast within the Western Hemisphere. Ever parts of Mexico that used to be amongst the most dangerous cities in the world (such as Juarez) has been getting better.

But some parts of Mexico are now getting dangerous enough to compete with other of the most dangerous cities in the world. Acapulco for example is now among the most dangerous cities you can go to. I wouldn’t shut down the idea of Mexico being among the most dangerous places in the world because they have many cities that compete with this title. Now, some parts of Mexico are among the safest in the world, making Mexico’s average come down, but since its a country of two extremes, I wouldn’t say you can’t judge it from its most dangerous areas.

What makes Venezuela unique is that it’s at a point now where there’s not a single place where you’re safe. Even in the busiest, most tourist friendly streets of Caracas at noon, you’re still not safe at all. Other than Venezuela, Mexico can compete with any dangerous country within the Western Hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City