Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 03:04 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im sorry I dont know you so dont owe you anything but I will say this
You have a problem with my rebuttal but cant put to words how Im wrong?
Why didnt you question the posters Atlanta experiences?I have a resonable amount of knowledge to comment on both cities collectively, so on both regions I spoke.
Why is that so objectionable to you?
LOL, why so angry?

Who said I had a problem with your rebuttal? I simply asked you to share your experiences. Is that too difficult a task?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 05:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:

I guess had you brought up museums you know Atlanta would blow it out of the water right?
The Georgia Aquarium,World of Coke,National College Football Hall fo Fame,The National Center for Human and Civil Rights,Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site,Margaret Mitchell House(Gone With the Wind ),Center for Puppetry Arts, and a list of other top notch museums
Not to mention theatrical productions with the many outfits of national notorietyAtlanta has.

What about college sports of which Atlanta has mutitude of colleges?
The SEC Championship.The Chick Fil A bowl etc. In the last 10 years Atlanta hosted a Superbowl,a Final Four(COVID Cancel),MLS Cup,
There are a lot more parks in Atlanta. Pidemont Park and the new Westside Park opening this year are better than any park in Phoenix but that can be subjective.
The Beltline is unlike anything Phoenix can claim and that should go in both the QOL and Leisure
Night life in Atlanta is without question head over heels above Phoenix.The club life and even food options open late.

Proximity-
There is a ton of stuff to do in between big cities on the East Coast.Not like in the West where its desolate for miles on end.
I will give you Georgia Aquarium, that place is pretty cool but everything else in this incoherent rant screams "I have never left my home town"

Dallas and Phoenix have Museums that are far above the ones you chose to list and have more notoriety outside of their communities. The Dallas Museum of Art is spectacular as is the MIM and Heard in Phoenix.

All cities on this list of hosted a Final Four and Super Bowl (Phoenix will host its fourth in 2023). Phoenix hosts the Fiesta bowl which is 1 of 4 that feeds into the BCS among its other Bowl Games. Doesn't every city in the south have some sort of college bowl game anyways?

Nothing about the parks you listed offer anything unique you could not find in Dallas or Phoenix. Did you know Phoenix has the largest municipal park in the US?

'The Beltline is unlike anything Phoenix can claim and that should go in both the QOL and Leisure'
Except the canal paths in Phoenix are similar in nature and have 3 times the size and connect more cities.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Im not trying to make Atlanta out to be some bastion of ubanity but its more urban than Phoenix.

True it is more urban than Phoenix but also has much shorter mountains in the metro area...

Looking at Walkscore Atlanta highest rated neighbohood is 96 with its highest Transit score of vs Phoenix at 79 with its hoghest transit score of 63.
https://www.walkscore.com/AZ/Phoenix
https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta

Well the 96 walk score you mention is at Georgia State University, Arizona State University is an 82... but why does this matter? Downtown Phoenix is getting more urban by the day, that's what I'm loving to see here. I'm sure Atlanta is too.

https://www.walkscore.com/score/arizona-state-university-tempe-az-85281

I know in many cities access to transit(namely heavy or light rail)makes properties command a higher housing cost.That also comes with areas that are more walkable.

Yes, we noticed this in Phoenix as the $11B in investment around our primary transit lines poured in over the last decade, we are in the process of being extended transit even further now. https://www.valleymetro.org/sites/de...all_2018_1.pdf

Phoenix really is not a urban city .Id say its the least urban largest major city in North America.
We must be doing something right, we wen't from being smaller than Macon is today in 1950 to 1.6M now, 70 years later.

So just like a city like Boston is super expensive, the moest expensive areas of a city will be more urban hence higher cost of living.
Add traffic to that as well.As good as transit is in Boston ,NYC etc,there is still mind numbing traffic.
So yes COL is lower but for obvious reasons.Jacksonville is cheaper than Atlanta too.
I think QOL living could be tied to the best urban living balance since we are discussing major cities but I can see either city winning this argument.

Entertainment-

I can see why you kept your answer real short this showing your bias.Spring Training?Thats your reason why PHX is better for entertainment?lol

Yep, all 5 million of us go to spring training and that's it. You all spend your days picking peaches right? lol

I guess had you brought up museums you know Atlanta would blow it out of the water right?
The Georgia Aquarium,World of Coke,National College Football Hall fo Fame,The National Center for Human and Civil Rights,Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site,Margaret Mitchell House(Gone With the Wind ),Center for Puppetry Arts, and a list of other top notch museums

Checkout MIM, Heard, Taliesin, Hall of Flame, just to name a few. The two massive zoos, the amazing collection of succulents at Desert Botanical Garden and the largest aquarium in the southwest, Odysea, leave a lot to go do and see.

Not to mention theatrical productions with the many outfits of national notorietyAtlanta has.

The really good ones will be coming to a city or movie screen nearby soon...

What about college sports of which Atlanta has mutitude of colleges?
The SEC Championship.The Chick Fil A bowl etc. In the last 10 years Atlanta hosted a Superbowl,a Final Four(COVID Cancel),MLS Cup,

College sports: Pac-12 with ASU and WAC with GCU.
College bowls: Fiesta Bowl, Cheez-IT Bowl, and the Arizona Bowl about 60 minutes away in Tucson
Super Bowls: Phoenix has hosted 3 since 1996 and a 4th will be 2023 at which time only 4 cities will have hosted more than Phoenix (LA, NOLA, Miami and Tampa).
Final Fours: Hosted in 2017 and will again in 2024
Annual Large Leisure Events:

Phoenix Open: The four-day attendance of the tournament is usually around a half million, the best-attended event in golf.
Country Thunder: 140,000 attendees at one of the largest annual music events in the country
Arizona Car Week: Capped off by Barrett Jackson

There are a lot more parks in Atlanta. Pidemont Park and the new Westside Park opening this year are better than any park in Phoenix but that can be subjective.

Subjective is spot on, as a mountain biker and hiker nothing about Piedmont park beats out South Mountain Park. South Mountain Park in Phoenix, Arizona is the largest municipal park in the United States, and one of the largest urban parks in North America and in the world.

The Beltline is unlike anything Phoenix can claim and that should go in both the QOL and Leisure

Unlike anything in Phoenix? We've been building canal walks since about 1964. You can cruise by AZ falls or even checkout the bats. https://www.visitphoenix.com/learn-p...s/canal-walks/

Night life in Atlanta is without question head over heels above Phoenix.The club life and even food options open late.

I'm not a clubber but have had zero issues having enough fun for me in the old town entertainment district. I have zero complaints about the Phoenix foodie scene as well, with amazing Mexican food, award winning pizza and upscale

Proximity-
There is a ton of stuff to do in between big cities on the East Coast.Not like in the West where its desolate for miles on end.I lived in ABQ years ago and had to drivr back and forth on accaasion to Phoenix for work.
ABQ to PHX is a long drive, I've done it a few times but rarely go that way. There's a ton to explore within Arizona and over to California instead. As mentioned below, Jerome, Camp Verde, Pine-Strawberry, Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, Williams, Sonoita, Tucson, Globe, Oracle, Palm Springs, Coachella, Boulder City, Temecula, Moab, Santa Barbara...

Sure there's open space as well but you're crazy if you think there's some shortage of places to visit.

Not just Phoenix but to Oklahoma City,Tuscon,White Sands,Las Cruces,El Paso etc. Ive driven all around to know what Im talking about
Nashvillle is one city but there are smaller locations that are certainly very popular and worth visitin.
Chattanooga,Charleston,Savannah are very popualar cities.
You mention San Diego whcih is almost 6 hrs. Well New Orleans ,Memphis,Tampa-St.Petesburg, and Orlando are all about the same distance.
Jacksonville too is close and next to it is St. Augustine.One of he oldest settlement in America

You have the North Georgia Mountains with historic towns and waterfalls.

In AZ you have the mountains immediately around Phoenix. Then you have the Eastern AZ mountains and the Northern Mountains and the Southern Mountains as well. Waterfalls like Havasupai Falls, Mooney Falls, Fossil Creek, Cibecue Falls among others. Some amazing canyoneering within the state as well..

There's one or two historic towns around Arizona as well. Maybe you've heard of Tombstone? Or Montezuma Castle? Jerome, Bisbee... there's also a line up of national parks and monuments as well.

Remember GA is the last of the original thriteen colonies.
Circling Back to the leisure category, Atlanta with its estensive Civil War historical sites and other prominent histororical events like the Olympics give its that much more to see and do.
Yes, we remember, there is lots Anglo history in the East. Believe us in the West, we hear about it all the time and how this makes a city superior in some way. To me, it makes a place fun to visit. Does it matter to me day in and day out? I can't imagine why it would? I did live in New England, for some time and found that Freedom Trail was fun about 3-4x, then I never went again. The Southwest has history too, its been inhabited for 1,000's of years by Native Americans, in Phoenix this includes the HoHokams among others. This gives a whole lot of history to see and explore as well.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:14 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I will give you Georgia Aquarium, that place is pretty cool but everything else in this incoherent rant screams "I have never left my home town"

Dallas and Phoenix have Museums that are far above the ones you chose to list and have more notoriety outside of their communities. The Dallas Museum of Art is spectacular as is the MIM and Heard in Phoenix.

All cities on this list of hosted a Final Four and Super Bowl (Phoenix will host its fourth in 2023). Phoenix hosts the Fiesta bowl which is 1 of 4 that feeds into the BCS among its other Bowl Games. Doesn't every city in the south have some sort of college bowl game anyways?

Nothing about the parks you listed offer anything unique you could not find in Dallas or Phoenix. Did you know Phoenix has the largest municipal park in the US?

'The Beltline is unlike anything Phoenix can claim and that should go in both the QOL and Leisure'
Except the canal paths in Phoenix are similar in nature and have 3 times the size and connect more cities.

Your post screams insecurity for you to draw such a ridiculous conclusion
So lets ecplore this "far and above " comment of yours in which you gave absolutely no context.
My point about museums is that they give a person things to do.Its not always ahout the quality its about vitality.
I made absolutely no claim about whats better as that is subjective.Going but number of visitors to each city one would gather why Atlanta has over 51 million visitors each year versus 21 million.
I never said anything abiut Dallas.I said Phoenix.Even still I dodnt even mention Atlanta's High Museum of Art,The Micheal C Carlos Museum of Antiquites,The Fernbank Natural History Museum,Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and I could go on.
You obviouly cant say much about Phoenix as thats why you brought up Dallas but even Dallas is weak with its offerings in comparison to the amount Atlanta has.
When you can show me where those museums are better please do.If you cant then its a moot point whcih is why I never clai,ed whcih are better but which city gives a person more to see and do.

The Beltline is ongoing and not finished but it connects several different trails like PAth 400,Proctor Creek Greenway, and current construction to connect to the Silver Commet Trail which by itself runs 61 miles. All the way to Alabama and beyond.
Not to mention the Beltline isnt just a trail to knowwhere like the Canals maily are which as far as I remember the nicest part is near Scottsdale.The Beltline is designed to be an urban by connecting all of Atlanta's intown neighborhoods.Along its development are also new parks described as the "emeralds around the necklas".
Biilions of dollars in development have already been spent and more is constantly being planned or in progress.
Atlanta has hosted two Super Bowls ,2 Final Fours,An Olympics, MLS cup ,National League and World Series,and the SEC Championship is not a bowl .

Old 04-20-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
LOL, why so angry?

Who said I had a problem with your rebuttal? I simply asked you to share your experiences. Is that too difficult a task?
lol
"you simply asked"
No you didnt.It was a snarky comment

Old 04-20-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yes, we remember, there is lots Anglo history in the East. Believe us in the West, we hear about it all the time and how this makes a city superior in some way. To me, it makes a place fun to visit. Does it matter to me day in and day out? I can't imagine why it would? I did live in New England, for some time and found that Freedom Trail was fun about 3-4x, then I never went again. The Southwest has history too, its been inhabited for 1,000's of years by Native Americans, in Phoenix this includes the HoHokams among others. This gives a whole lot of history to see and explore as well.
I responded to a poster that made some statements that were biased, When you say "we are better in entertainment because we have Spring training".Thats biased and a week argument.

I brought up transit and walkabiiity as something that explains why cost of living is more. You will pay for the most urban experience in every city. A city that has more urban attributes will be more expensive.
South Mountain Park is a natural park.Piedmont PArk is a true urban park. If i wanted hiking cloeseby then Id go to Arabia,Kennesaw,Panola or Stone Mountain parks withing 25 minutes of downtown Atlanta.
I wouldnt compare it to Piedmont just like I wouldnt compare it to Central Park in NYC.They are apple and oranges. Day to day the best cities have good access to good parks and Piedmont is more in line with what a true urban park is.

Of course the West has history. I loved driving from South New Mexico to ABQ and seeing where Billy the Kid supposedly was burried and Native American ruins coming in from Tuscon.
The Mississippian Native Americans are said to date back over 10,000 years and they have left nehind mounds just North nad South of Atlanta along the banks of the Occumulgee and Etowah Rivers.
The Cherokee Nation hails from teh Atlanta and North Georigia areas before the were forceably removed the the US government .
Anglo history?LOL Well its all American history regardless of what region.Im African AMerican and the formation of this country would have never happened if Native Americans and those of African descent were not made casualties of a prosperpus nation and the East Coast and Atlanta region in particular has a plethora of history of many cultures.

Phoenix has had trememdous growth mainly due to its warm climate just like Miami but its simply hasnt grown as an urban city.Its gettting ore urban day by day but these days every city is doing this. Some like Atlanta are further along than Phoenix and some like Seattle are further along than Atlanta.

Georgia State is Downtown. If you notice in the walkscore list of neigbohoods of each city,there are more than 10 neighborhoods with scores over 80 in Atlanta. There are none in Phoenix.

Quote:
True it is more urban than Phoenix but also has much shorter mountains in the metro area...
Umm,ok...You win but not sure what that has to do woth urbanity

Old 04-20-2020, 10:10 PM

129 posts, read 111,325 times
I prefer Phoenix over Atlanta and according to the latest Census estimates .. so do a lot of people:

Latest year of population growth:

1. Dallas 117380
2. Phoenix 98994
3. Houston 89994
4. Atlanta 75061

Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
I prefer Phoenix over Atlanta and according to the latest Census estimates .. so do a lot of people:

Latest year of population growth:

1. Dallas 117380
2. Phoenix 98994
3. Houston 89994
4. Atlanta 75061
Most people prefer places like Boston and Philadelphia over all of these places and their numbers are much lower. Phoenix is still most undesirable city out of all these cities while Atlanta may be the most desirable according to common trends on here.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:09 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Atlanta
Phoenix
Dallas

Old 04-21-2020, 12:11 AM

129 posts, read 111,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Most people prefer places like Boston and Philadelphia over all of these places and their numbers are much lower. Phoenix is still most undesirable city out of all these cities while Atlanta may be the most desirable according to common trends on here.
Who are these "most people"? People aren't flocking to Boston or Philadelphia. The largest state in the nation, California with nearly 40 million people .. when they leave (and a lot of them are), they aren't looking to move to Boston, Philadelphia, or Atlanta. They are mostly moving to Texas(Dallas) and Arizona(Phoenix).

2019 State Migrations
https://www.northamerican.com/migration-map

Last edited by theTelecommuter; 04-21-2020 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City