Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:37 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
Who are these "most people"? People aren't flocking to Boston or Philadelphia. The largest state in the nation, California with nearly 40 million people .. when they leave (and a lot of them are), they aren't looking to move to Boston, Philadelphia, or Atlanta. They are mostly moving to Texas(Dallas) and Arizona(Phoenix).

2019 State Migrations
https://www.northamerican.com/migration-map
You misunderstood what I said. I said that Philly and Boston places are more desirable than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Phoenix. More people move to sunbelts cities because of the COL and better jobs, but these people also complain about a lack of urbanity and convenience. Furthermore, I wouldn't point to census data to prove that one place is more desirable than another one. That's like someone arguing that Nigeria is more desirable than the U.S. because of growth patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
You misunderstood what I said. I said that Philly and Boston places are more desirable than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Phoenix. More people move to sunbelts cities because of the COL and better jobs, but these people also complain about a lack of urbanity and convenience. Furthermore, I wouldn't point to census data to prove that one place is more desirable than another one. That's like someone arguing that Nigeria is more desirable than the U.S. because of growth patterns.
Please point to some data that proves that more people who move to sunbelt cities because of COL and jobs are complaining about a lack of urbanity and convenience in cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and other sunbelt cities. Or is this just a feeling of yours?

Old 04-21-2020, 02:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
Who are these "most people"? People aren't flocking to Boston or Philadelphia. The largest state in the nation, California with nearly 40 million people .. when they leave (and a lot of them are), they aren't looking to move to Boston, Philadelphia, or Atlanta. They are mostly moving to Texas(Dallas) and Arizona(Phoenix).

2019 State Migrations
https://www.northamerican.com/migration-map
Idaho is number one so that means using your logic its more desireable than any other state?

Old 04-21-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Please point to some data that proves that more people who move to sunbelt cities because of COL and jobs are complaining about a lack of urbanity and convenience in cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and other sunbelt cities. Or is this just a feeling of yours?
All you have to do is look at ANY poll (and replies) on city data including this poll to see that just because more people move to a metro doesn't make it more desirable....The NE cities win every single poll on this site for the reasons I stated in my post and it's also a known fact that people are moving to the sunbelt cities mainly for those reasons. It's not rocket science.

However, feel free to post census estimates to make such claims.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
lol
"you simply asked"
No you didnt.It was a snarky comment
Yet, you still have not provided any of your experiences in and around Phoenix and you continue to skirt around the issue. Living in ABQ years ago and simply driving to and from Phoenix doesn't make you an expert on the city, especially when there are always many different moving parts. I moved to Tucson from Austin and lived there for many years before moving to Phoenix and used to drive up here all the time, specifically to hang out on the weekends.

I think you're trying to shortchange Phoenix when it comes to nightlife. If may not be hip-hop focused like Atlanta, but it was different. Did you know that world renowned American-German DJ Markus Schulz was a resident DJ for many years at a club in Scottsdale beginning in the early 90's? Did you also know that Hot Mix Productions (Dave Rajput/Andrew Starr) - you know, the dance mix shows that started in the 80's and were broadcast across 175 radio stations around the world were produced here in "sleepy" Phoenix and aired on radio stations here long before Atlanta even had a hip-hop culture? Did you know that in the early 90's, trance DJ Swedish Egil (from MARS FM - later Groove Radio 103.1 in LA) had his first radio broadcast of Groove Radio International from a small radio station in Wickenburg? And that Chris Shebel, former program director at Energy 92.7 Chicago consulted on dance station Energy 92.7/101.1 in Phoenix, a station that outlived most terrestrial dance stations during the 2000's included original Energy 92.7 in Chicago? These things wouldn't have occurred if there wasn't a demand for it locally.

I can tell you little things like that, but I was in no way an expert on Phoenix as a whole, so I'm thinking neither were you.

Last edited by AZLiam; 04-21-2020 at 02:51 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
All you have to do is look at ANY poll (and replies) on city data including this poll to see that just because more people move to a metro doesn't make it more desirable....The NE cities win every single poll on this site for the reasons I stated in my post and it's also a known fact that people are moving to the sunbelt cities mainly for those reasons. It's not rocket science.

However, feel free to post census estimates to make such claims.
Hanging your hat on CD polls doesn't sound like anything substantive.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Hanging your hat on CD polls doesn't sound like anything substantive.
These polls are usually fair....consensus.

And....Phoenix is where it should be in this poll...it's just not as desirable as the other two cities and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Are you serious?
Just look at every CD poll when there is a city like Atlanta,Dallas,Houston etc and it will loose to a city like Boston,Chicago,Philadelphia,San Francisco,D.C. etc.
Even here in this thread Phoenix lack of urbanity has been mentioned.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...red-urban.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-phoenix.html
Quote:
But LA has pockets of urbanity that Phoenix completely lacks. Not to mention the cultural amenities in LA far surpass Phoenix. LA has unique colorful neighborhoods unlike anything in Phoenix. And theres a strong Beach culture in LA...
Quote:
LA easily. Phoenix is like a junior LA... Actually not a junior LA, more like an overgrown San Fernando Valley.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...l#post12566619

Las Vegas gets just as many Cali transplants .People usually move within a few states of their native state .
Western states are huge so of course states like AZ, or ID will attract huge numbers of residents from an expensive state like CA a cheaper close by state with good weather.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
These polls are usually fair....consensus.

And....Phoenix is where it should be in this poll...it's just not as desirable as the other two cities and there's nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Are you serious?
Just look at every CD poll when there is a city like Atlanta,Dallas,Houston etc and it will loose to a city like Boston,Chicago,Philadelphia,San Francisco,D.C. etc.
Even here in this thread Phoenix lack of urbanity has been mentioned.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...red-urban.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-phoenix.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...l#post12566619

Las Vegas gets just as many Cali transplants .People usually move within a few states of their native state .
Western states are huge so of course states like AZ, or ID will attract huge numbers of residents from an expensive state like CA a cheaper close by state with good weather.
Yes I am serious and you are completely missing the point. Did I ever say that Phoenix didn't lack urbanity when compared to cities that have obviously been established a hell of a lot longer than Phoenix? Never. However, making attempts to proclaim most people are making complaints about a lack of urbanity or desirability is unproven and even more ridiculous. How the hell would anyone know the thoughts and minds of millions of others? By citing a few CD polls or posts?

Old 04-21-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Yes I am serious and you are completely missing the point. Did I ever say that Phoenix didn't lack urbanity when compared to cities that have obviously been established a hell of a lot longer than Phoenix? Never. However, making attempts to proclaim most people are making complaints about a lack of urbanity or desirability is unproven and even more ridiculous. How the hell would anyone know the thoughts and minds of millions of others? By citing a few CD polls or posts?
Hey,Its okRelax.Dont be so angry
Miami boomed in the 1950s but its very urban and its not as old as Phoenix. He said its a common complaint,not that most people make the complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City