Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston Common/Garden 10 21.74%
Central Park 36 78.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 05:02 PM

503 posts, read 597,803 times

Advertisements

Which of these two parks do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 05:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
In Boston terms, Central Park is like a cross between the Common/Gardens and Franklin Park. The Franklin Park aspect brings a few pros and cons. Much of Central Park (especially on the northern end) is forested to the point where you really feel like you’re “escaping the city” for a bit while you walk. On the con-side, it can also be a bit overgrown in spots and has a reputation of being kind of dangerous/sketchy. For Central Park, this reputation is kind of outdated because Manhattan has been gentrified beyond recognition. For Franklin Park, the reputation is still warranted.

Anyway, the Common/Garden is like all the best elements of Central Park, but distilled down into a much smaller and cozier space. I voted for it without a moment’s hesitation.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-09-2020 at 05:33 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
This ain’t even a question..Central Park over and over again. It’s way bigger and better

Old 04-09-2020, 08:27 PM

330 posts, read 293,533 times
Been to both many times. I would say Central Park without a doubt if only these two. Boston Common is more historical though as being the starting point of the freedom trail. Also there are some interesting places nearby to explore like the Beacon Hill, Downtown, South Station, Copley Square, Quincy Market.... Cambridge and North End may be a little stretch but it is completely walkable or else can be easily reached by taking the T.

Central Park is far more iconic and lively as it is surrounded by UES and UWS side by side and is only a few inches away from the Midtown. Also you get to explore some of the most interesting places in the City in nearby places like the MET, MoMA, Natural History Museum, Lincoln Center Plaza, etc.

I would say if we only compare Boston Common to Central Park, I would choose Central Park. But I don’t think this is a fair comparison as Boston Common is much smaller than Central Park(So is Downtown Boston Vs Manhattan). A more fair comparison would be the whole Freedom Trail vs the Central Park.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:12 PM

313 posts, read 218,060 times
Ouch...

A better comparison (and probably the ONLY strong competitor to Central Park in NA) would be Mount Royal Park in Montreal... And it makes sense, as it was designed by the same guy, in a similar setting (smack dab middle of the city.) I can't think of anything else that really compares to those two, in terms of urban greenspace.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 AM

330 posts, read 293,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Ouch...

A better comparison (and probably the ONLY strong competitor to Central Park in NA) would be Mount Royal Park in Montreal... And it makes sense, as it was designed by the same guy, in a similar setting (smack dab middle of the city.) I can't think of anything else that really compares to those two, in terms of urban greenspace.
In terms of the park itself, I would throw in Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, Golden Gate Park in SF, Griffith Park(more hiking oriented) in LA as fair comparisons to Central Park. But if we include the surroundings, Central Park has UES and UWS surrounding it and Midtown within walking distance. In that sense, Central Park is by far the most iconic and vibrant area(Park+Surroundings) for sure.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:18 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
In terms of the park itself, I would throw in Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, Golden Gate Park in SF, Griffith Park(more hiking oriented) in LA as fair comparisons to Central Park. But if we include the surroundings, Central Park has UES and UWS surrounding it and Midtown within walking distance. In that sense, Central Park is by far the most iconic and vibrant area(Park+Surroundings) for sure.
Part of what makes Mount Royal Park so great is its being so large and close to the city center. It's also a mountain. The below is a popular lookout in the park:

Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Boston Common is more like Battery Park not Central Park

Old 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston Common is more like Battery Park not Central Park
That sounds like a closer comparison to me (and would say Boston Common is better than Battery Park).

Franklin Park was mentioned earlier as what to compare to Central. I think its closer comparison in NYC is Prospect Park.

As this is a personal reference question, I'm going with Central Park. It's big so you can wander around for quite a long while and it has great museum on its grounds.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Boston Common is almost more like Patterson Park in Baltimore. But it’s more in the middle of the city like Central Park although Patterson Park isn’t far from it.

Franklin Park in Boston is a carbon copy of Druid Hill Park in Baltimore. Not Central Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City