Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 05:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
No because those aren't highrises.
Two blocks away from the link you posted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7933...7i16384!8i8192

There are three and four story buildings here in the middle of downtown SF, but you say it's 3rd in the US...What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
You include dc with nyc and Chicago because you are a homer...I am not a skyscraper nerd and prefer areas like back bay Boston, soho nyc, mission in San Fran, Santa Monica, DuPont/Adams Morgan over any of the skyscraper hype...if I’m on a rooftop overlooking dc am I going to experience as a similar effect from alll these canyons as i would in nyc or Chicago
Actually, I prefer a rooftop in DC because you can see across the whole city which is rare. Most rooftops in other cities stare into another building. That’s because our rooftops are actually on the roof of our buildings. How many skyscrapers have roof tops on the 50th floor in your experience?

My comparison to NYC and Chicago is related to actual measured distance of highrise development. It isn’t subjective, therefore, it’s impossible to be a homer. It’s actual size and calculations. In fact, the only people in this thread that are homers would be every single person who gave an opinion instead of factual information. What I said is measured scientifically using actual data. It’s not something that you or I can dispute.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, I prefer a rooftop in DC because you can see across the whole city which is rare. Most rooftops in other cities stare into another building.

My comparison to NYC and Chicago is related to actual measured distance of highrise development. It isn’t subjective, therefore, it’s impossible to be a homer. It’s actual size and calculations. In fact, the only people in this thread that are homers would be every single person who gave an opinion instead of factual information. What I said is measured scientifically using actual data. It’s not something that you or I can dispute.
So youre calling dc a high rise/skyscraper city...a high rise guru should go to hong Kong, nyc and dc

Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So youre calling dc a high rise/skyscraper city...a high rise guru should go to hong Kong, nyc and dc
First of all, skyscraper and highrise are two different things. So you’re in the wrong thread. Check the first page and check back in and ask your question again.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
First of all, skyscraper and highrise are two different things. So you’re in the wrong thread. Check the first page and check back in and ask your question again.
Whatever the definition I would never choose to go to dc in search of high rises

Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Whatever the definition I would never choose to go to dc in search of high rises
I know reading comprehension is proving difficult here, but please see below from the OP:

Quote:
Top 5 cities for high rise canyons? I'm talking about blocks of high rises essentially that create a wall.
Pictures welcomed
Things the OP didn’t mention or ask for:

1. Skyscrapers
2. Architecture
3. Esthetically pleasing buildings

So, your opinion wasn’t asked for and what you think looks good wasn’t asked for. The only thing asked was how many highrises does a city have which to quote the OP:

“blocks of highrises”....

Old 04-18-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
From the wiki page for "high rise buildings":

A high-rise building is a tall building, as opposed to a low-rise building and is defined differently in terms of height depending on the jurisdiction. It is used as a residential, office building, or other functions including hotel, retail, or with multiple purposes combined. Residential high-rise buildings are also known as tower blocks[by whom?] and may be referred to as "MDUs", standing for "multi-dwelling unit".[1][full citation needed] A very tall high-rise building is referred to as a skyscraper.

"In Brussels, the capital of Europe, there are numerous modern high-rise buildings in the Northern Quarter business district. The government of Belgium wants to recreate Washington, D.C. on a small scale."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-rise_building

Old 04-18-2020, 05:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
No because those aren't highrises.
Totally fair. In which case, I’m on the side of folks who don’t think DC has any canyons per this definition.

Anyway, I personally don’t think Boston deserves “top 5” status in this regard, but here are a few of my favorite canyon-esque spots (trying to avoid ones that have already been shared): Stuart Street, Huntington Ave, Harrison Ave (looking north).

Old 04-18-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I know reading comprehension is proving difficult here, but please see below from the OP:

Things the OP didn’t mention or ask for:

1. Skyscrapers
2. Architecture
3. Esthetically pleasing buildings

So, your opinion wasn’t asked for and what you think looks good wasn’t asked for. The only thing asked was how many highrises does a city have which to quote the OP:

“blocks of highrises”....
I hear what you’re saying...dc is appropriate to include..there are high rises..

Old 04-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I hear what you’re saying...dc is appropriate to include..there are high rises..
No it's not. You guys have created your own new definition of what a high rise building is in this thread. Even after I posted actual definitions up thread on this, and later posted the totals of high rise buildings in each city being discussed in which DC had the most.

Let's just leave DC out of this one. DC doesn't have any high rises. Let's leave it alone, there's no urbanity, there are no canyons, and the city should have never been mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City