Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 04:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
These are a few in SF... Its 3rd behind nyc and chicago
Philly deserves that distinction, imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 04:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You don’t need tall buildings. Salem Street in Boston’s North End has 5-6 floors but is an urban canyon because the Buildings are much taller than the street their on is wide.

If Dc’s streets were 1/2 as wide as they are with the same height buildings it’s have tons of urban canyons
Yes you do, ask the OP. There's a new definition to go by.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:13 PM

373 posts, read 252,442 times
DC has more high rise canyons then but its just not as impressive to the eye because the height. Nonetheless, impressions dont matter if theres stats to say otherwise. I know SF has highrise that run miles from embarcadero to vaness and from the bay bridge to nob hill. SF I think is a sure number 3 for highrise canyons and has the 3rd most highrises in its core skyline

Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM

I put highrise canyons not urban canyons.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes you do, ask the OP. There's a new definition to go by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
DC has more high rise...
So is this a canyon, OP? I’m assuming no?

Old 04-18-2020, 04:21 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Han, you’re wrong about Philly:

You’ve been away so long, you’ve forgotten.
Great selections. Philly is indisputably one of the leaders in this category; I actually think Boston and SF are in the same tier as well.

Philadelphia and Boston in particular have especially narrow downtown streets, making for very pronounced canyon effect where high-rise buildings exist.

Philly's Center City also continues to get "taller and taller" each year, with redevelopment or infill projects, so the "canyons" are still being created.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The problem with this thread is there's too much subjectivity in definition by some here claiming that buildings have to be of a certain height to be "high rise". The definition of high rise is 35 meters or 12 stories, in which DC has more high rise buildings than SF, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle.

Two blocks down the street in one direction from where you just posted in SF there are 3 and 4 story buildings:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7933...7i16384!8i8192

In the other direction you go two blocks you're at Embarcadero waterfront. So which is it, and what is the standard here? Because there are other cities that hold an even street wall and canyon for MILES in 4 directions like DC and Chicago.
I’ve noticed a pattern here with many of these threads. I think people may be used to living in cities with very small tiny isolated areas of intense highrise buildings that dropoff to 2-4 story buildings and houses quickly compared to NYC, Chicago, and DC. Understand that, if that is the case, they’re satisfied with what they have. Their focus is on the intensity of their highrise districts even if the area is small compared to cities like NYC, Chicago, and DC. They aren’t comparing the size of the area someone can explore and be entertained while still being surrounded by highrises, their comparing the intensity of the buildings in their small area of highrises.

Having the ability to be in one neighborhood with highrise’s having dinner on the patio, and then catching an Uber to go 3 miles away, still being surrounded by highrises the entire way, to go explore a lounge, play, show etc. is only an experience you can have in DC, NYC, and Chicago. No other cities in America have that level of development. It is what it is. When I’m in cities outside of those three, that’s the first thing I realize. Get in an Uber and you lose highrise buildings in a matter of minutes. That’s not the case in NYC, Chicago, or DC which go on forever. Threads like this aren’t focusing on the size though. They are focusing on the intensity and that’s what must be realized.

Don’t waste your time arguing apples and oranges. Threads without a criteria to use always end up this way. If the OP had said which cities have the best urban canyons with buildings no shorter than 20 stories for those urban canyons? We wouldn’t be discussing this.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I’ve noticed a pattern here with many of these threads. I think people may be used to living in cities with very small tiny isolated areas of intense highrise buildings that dropoff to 2-4 story buildings and houses quickly compared to NYC, Chicago, and DC. Understand that, if that is the case, they’re satisfied with what they have. Their focus is on the intensity of their highrise districts even if the area is small compared to cities like NYC, Chicago, and DC. They aren’t comparing the size of the area someone can explore and be entertained while still being surrounded by highrises, their comparing the intensity of the buildings in their small area of highrises.

Having the ability to be in one neighborhood with highrise’s having dinner on the patio, and then catching an Uber to go 3 miles away, still being surrounded by highrises the entire way, to go explore a lounge, play, show etc. is only an experience you can have in DC, NYC, and Chicago. No other cities in America have that level of development. It is what it is. When I’m in cities outside of those three, that’s the first thing I realize. Get in an Uber and you lose highrise buildings in a matter of minutes. That’s not the case in NYC, Chicago, or DC which go on forever. Threads like this aren’t focusing on the size though. They are focusing on the intensity and that’s what must be realized.

Don’t waste your time arguing apples and oranges. Threads without a criteria to use always end up this way. If the OP had said which cities have the best urban canyons with buildings no shorter than 20 stories for those urban canyons? We wouldn’t be discussing this.
Yep. I created a separate thread based on the other side of the coin that we have been discussing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-building.html

No point of going forward here with ambiguous definitions and subjectivity. Might as well leave DC out of the discussion, since that is what the thread was created to do.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

You include dc with nyc and Chicago because you are a homer...I am not a skyscraper nerd and prefer areas like back bay Boston, soho nyc, mission in San Fran, Santa Monica, DuPont/Adams Morgan over any of the skyscraper hype...if I’m on a rooftop overlooking dc am I going to experience as a similar effect from alll these canyons as i would in nyc or Chicago

Old 04-18-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
So is this a canyon, OP? I’m assuming no?
No because those aren't highrises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City