Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 07:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No one is pushing for anything? It seems the other way around with a poster from Boston even starting this thread and putting Boston in the top 3.

Can 3.5 billion people tell us what the Boston T looks like?
no:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
n.y.c., chicago (most would just assume n.y.c.).
maybe boston, d.c. (again, most would just assume n.y.c.).
i dont think others are known at all (most would just assume n.y.c.).
Quote:
Stop it.

DC's subway train is synonymous with public transport around the city, which is why you see it depicted in movies. LA and Atlanta's subway system architects haven't won awards for modern architecture, nor do even 1/10 of their populace use the subway. It was already posted in this thread that DC's Metro subway is of the 150 most iconic or favorite architectural feats in the country's history. Not even the NYC subway or the El are on the list, and certainly the T isn't. Who gives a _ when the system opened? In 100 years the DC Metro will still be there, and will be 144 years old, and it will still be considered iconic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/03/a...ashington.html

Please, stop it.
125 years ago, the t wouldve been the most iconic (since it was the only). in 100 years, someplace like independence, mo will invent some sort of hover train that will be more iconic than the ancients.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-19-2020 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
I'm noticing a trend, that it's only the Boston posters making these types of claims. When you have reputable organizations for architecture etc,. that have awarded the designer of systems like the Metro in DC. Shall we take their word for it, or you guys?

Regarding transportation planning that is different from architectural feats, but when you do ask them. Ask about the depth of subways in America and reasons why DC's tunnels are notoriously deeper. The system actually has the longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere on the Red Line.
I mean my transportation planning classes took place in NY, and my future ones will be in NJ. So I dont exactly know what you are trying to get at here bud. DC was brought up a total of 1 time in my transportation plannng classes, for integrating lower level income tracts to rail lines. I stand with NYC, Boston, Chicago and Philly being the prominent 4. And a tossup to #5.

And again if outsiders saw DC or really anywhere, they wouldnt distinguish it apart. They would assume its NYC or a city they know has a subway from Media.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean my transportation planning classes took place in NY, and my future ones will be in NJ. So I dont exactly know what you are trying to get at here bud. DC was brought up a total of 1 time in my transportation plannng classes, for integrating lower level income tracts to rail lines. I stand with NYC, Boston, Chicago and Philly being the prominent 4. And a tossup to #5.

And again if outsiders saw DC or really anywhere, they wouldnt distinguish it apart. They would assume its NYC or a city they know has a subway from Media.
The thread is about iconic transit lines.

I don't know what is iconic about Boston or Philly's systems, just like you don't see what's iconic with DC's. So it's a wash between us. My point is you have other groups that have awarded the architect and designer of the Metro system Harry Weese, who is world renown. The designing of the DC Metro system, by people in the world of architecture, is widely regarded as one of the great architectural feats of the last 100 plus years in America. I haven't heard this about Boston's T or the SEPTA.

I'm not really talking about "transportation planning" per se. I'm talking about iconic architecture that is unmistakable. We're not really speaking on the same thing here. So there's the misunderstanding.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:02 PM

142 posts, read 86,241 times
Chicago Loop L few minute video.

https://youtu.be/X4hQakdtczU

Starting at Quincy station in the Loop. Crearly shows all its skeleton and old bones. Quincy most restored to original. Others have white paint. Then you take a ride and see out its front.

Iconic? Well it defines the character of the city. The loop portion especially in its older then any one alive. Its old bones still serve today and maintained, kept clean, and compurerized.

Most see it cool today and its going nowhere soon. But wasn't seen that way a few decades ago. Most modern system it never will get.

Somewhat historic yes. A iconic Chicago trait today? Yes.

The debate if DC's looks prettier as a subway? Yes. Its less then half its age and some. Should we see DC's system as iconic? Why?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
no:125 years ago, the t wouldve been the most iconic (since it was the only). in 100 years, someplace like independence, mo will invent some sort of hover train that will be more iconic than the ancients.
No.

The DC metro design is timeless actually. It's designed in "Brutalist" architecture which is reflective of the time that it was built in the late 60's. It really dominates it's own category of design regarding transit systems. That's exactly what separates it from LA and MARTA. I've been on shiny new systems in Singapore etc, and it's not iconic at all, great clean system, but nothing iconic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

We're almost a half century past the system's creation, and none of the other systems designed in that era of the late 1960's early 70's stand out being more iconic than Metro.

It's unique like the Moscow Metro, and the tube in London. Nothing looks like DC metro today or going back 45 years past, and nothing will replace it going forward.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:08 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
The thread is about iconic transit lines.

I don't know what is iconic about Boston or Philly's systems, just like you don't see what's iconic with DC's. So it's a wash between us. My point is you have other groups that have awarded the architect and designer of the Metro system Harry Weese, who is world renown. The designing of the DC Metro system, by people in the world of architecture, is widely regarded as one of the great architectural feats of the last 100 plus years in America. I haven't heard this about Boston's T or the SEPTA.

I'm not really talking about "transportation planning" per se. I'm talking about iconic architecture that is unmistakable. We're not really speaking on the same thing here. So there's the misunderstanding.
Google “The T†and “The L†or “the underground†and compare it to “the metro†or “the Subwayâ€.

Boston’s “T†is Iconic, even a very general term like the Subway the MTA is like 70% of the front page (along with the Sandwich shop)

If you google “Cable Car†SF pops up.

Heck when I google the letter T the MBTA is like the sixth result on google images. And if I google the letter L Chicago’s CTA website is like the 6th hit

To be Clear I am not saying the MBTA is as famous as the Chicago System which is much closer to NYC's if not possibly #1. But to pretend there is some great gulf between DC and the others in America outside those two cities is fanciful

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-19-2020 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 08:18 PM

^^^ The use of a different acronym doesn't make the trains and subway stations more iconic. That's what I've been talking about. Of course "metro" will have multiple searches because more than one city uses the term.

Also I'm sure you understand google optimizes based on either location or previous history searches. When I type in the word "metro" on my laptop the 2nd thing in the search is WMATA home page.

Very scientific...

Old 04-19-2020, 08:20 PM

142 posts, read 86,241 times
This Iconic debate is as kids debating whose is Bigger. It is as homerism as it comes.

NYC's has. Its scope and vastness with history.
Aspects of others in their cities evolution. Yes. But compared to some of the Grandiose beauties of Europe to Moscow's and the ultra-modern new systems of Asia. NO WAY OUR OURZ ICONIC IN THAT SENSE.
Let's be reasonable guys. Sorry DC and Boston boosters. Yours are not iconic vs othefs in the world. GET A GRIP...

Nothing scientific about a boasterism over emphasized.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
At the end of the day. Every subway/metro/T system in the country (USA) sucks. Comparing NYC/Philly/DC/Boston/Chicago to be the most iconic is basically a race to the bottom. Boston may be the first subway, NYC the most extensive in NA, Chicago with above ground lines, and DC with cool stations.. but they are all terrible lol. No single system is reliable, great and modern. I mean the subway system I lived off of in NYC had 3 derailments in a year with a 58% on time performance rating. The one I live by in Boston, just started getting better. I got stuck in the DC Metro tunnel for an hour because it rained and messed up the signaling lol.

With that said, any subway system in America could be the most iconic. Any could be put in the top 5. Until one comes out to Euro/Asian standards, these debates are pointless. I haven't found a system that is reliable enough to round off the 'iconic' indicator.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:01 PM

506 posts, read 476,799 times
The NYC subway system we know today started in 1904, but the nation's first underground transit line (all 300 feet of it) opened in NYC in 1870 (Beach Pneumatic Transit), a little before Boston's subway.

And Washington's Metro may only date to 1976, but DC's first subway system dates to 1909. The US Capitol's little subway system opened in 1909 and has been used and expanded continuously for over 100 years, making it one of the oldest in the nation. But I wouldn't consider it iconic, except maybe to the few people on Capitol Hill who use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City