Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 08:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I think this says more about you than the DC Metro system.
Lol, sorry, it's just not that iconic nor memorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:09 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’m not talking about ridership or usefulness or reliability I mean which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city. Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?
Nearly choked on my coffee when I read this. Right let's talk about transit but forget about ridership, coverage, system reliability, functionality, or every other factor that defines what a modern public transit should be.

Nonetheless, fun thread!

Here's my criteria for the "top 5" most iconic/picture worthy transit systems:

1. Oldest, most antiquated rolling stock (e.g. no A/C, no accessibility, cramped interiors)
2. Frequent system breakdowns (e.g. NYC or Chicago)
3. Rampant cleanliness issues around stations (e.g. rats, trash, urine smell, graffiti, etc. etc.)
4. Minimal frequency, utility (e.g. goes in a loop, does nothing to alleviate people's daily need to get from point A to B)
5. Inconsistent state/municipal funding that has led to service deteriorations over the years

Last edited by bostonkid123; 04-20-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Historical memory matters if the average person can actually remember it. Just because Budapest has the 2nd oldest subway in the world (after London, before Boston), doesn't mean the system is iconic or immediately associated with identity of Budapest. While it might be significant to locals, the majority of the world does not associate Budapest with subway innovation.

Would you just give up already? The T is absolutely not more recognizable than the DC Metro. There is literally nothing special about the T that your average person would pick up on. The DC Metro is the most visually distinct and architecturally consistent metro system in the United States and arguably the world.

San Diego's system is called "the trolley", which is a unique term not shared with any other system. But that doesn't mean it represents the city "much more than others".

Some historical association or fact doesn't make a system iconic (maybe 50-100 years ago...but today it is not really relevant). Who even knows this tidbit of information?! Like 0.01% of...Boston? 0.0001% of Americans?

At this point, the colored lines and metro map of DC Metro has far surpassed Boston's in terms of recognition.
Go to Cincinnati or Memphis and ask if someone has ridden “the Trolley” and they’d think you were talking about the Cincinnati streetcar or Memphis’s Heritage streetcars not some trolley in a far away place.

If you say ask about the L or the T or the Underground unless you’re in Pittsburgh they’ll likely know what system you’re talking about.

This is one aspect where the T exceeds the DC metro. While the DC metro has a more distinctive style and grander stations the T has more distinctive branding and Trains.

I personally think DC, Boston, Philly, Toronto (maybe even Portland) all have an argument for number 5.

Although some people seem to think New Orleans isn’t in the top 5 but I think their streetcars are very well known and compared to most heritage routes actual transit

Old 04-20-2020, 08:27 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
NYC, Chicago's L & SF trolly are the only ones I'd consider genuinely iconic

Boston/DC/Philly's metro's are well known, but I wouldn't call them iconic per say.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Toronto's streetcars are reasonably iconic, as are Montreal's métro stations, many of which were designed with artistic flair that's extremely rare in this part of the world.

That's about it for Canada.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Minneapolis' relatively new LRT also uses the "T" logo ... with its own stylization, of course.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:58 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I disagree. Yes, we know NYC's subway has plenty of 'L' lines that come out of the ground and ride over streets in the boroughs-- I believe New York actually has more elevated rail mileage than Chicago. But given its name, and identity, people still associate New York's rapid transit as an under-the-street operation with those classic cast iron street entrances (with the red or green balls on top of the 2 columns, green = enter here; red = don't).

But when it comes to Chicago, can you name to me one movie or TV show that did not feature L trains? -- with most rumbling around the Loop... To most of America, and perhaps the world, the L is Chicago.
[never been to chicago] are yoo saying chicago has no underground tunnels (then technically, chicago doesnt have subway service) ?

Old 04-20-2020, 08:59 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
NYC, Chicago's L & SF trolly are the only ones I'd consider genuinely iconic

Boston/DC/Philly's metro's are well known, but I wouldn't call them iconic per say.
I agree. NOLA's streetcar may qualify as "iconic" as well.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:01 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Certainly Boston's The "T" logo is the most recognizable transit symbol in America ... and much imitated, too (thank you, Pittsburgh!).
also, n.y.c. taxis are starting to cop that style.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Honestly never even knew New Orleans had a streetcar. Makes sense though old small and flat and open container law makes for drunk drives.

That being said I’ve never seen it in a movie set in Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City